Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 759

Author Topic: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread  (Read 1221305 times)

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
Re: Calm and Cool Progressive Discussion Thread
« Reply #11190 on: January 08, 2016, 03:00:12 am »

I just browsed their top posts; I noticed nothing insane, but I also noticed a distinct lack of posts that weren't about unethical things done by ess jay dubyas. They're cherry picking the fuck out of examples specifically to deride feminism. The instant clickbait shows up specifically aimed towards them, they eat it up.

Also, this was one of the top posts, so you definitely can't say the movement has nothing like that.

Looking at it at this moment, KiA seems to be in its own little world where feminism and evil done by it is all that matters. Like, holy fucking shit, women are actually being raped en masse and they're using it as an excuse to complain about feminism. That's utterly despicable.

everyone agrees undertale was great though, ain't that something

They've been complaining about feminism for the past 15 months or however long it's been. It seems a bit odd to say that they're now using the Cologne attacks as an excuse. Why do they need an excuse to keep doing what they were already doing?

He's not saying "they're now using the Cologne attacks as an excuse to complain about feminism", he's saying "they're using Cologne, which has nothing to do with feminism, as just another reason to complain about feminism".

If anything I think that recent events shine a great light on the wide divide between actual harm against women and Tumblr-tier 'the patriarchy!' nonsense. I certainly would love to see more feminists come out against this kind of violence, but I don't expect it. Too busy talking about how the latest videogame character's breasts are too big, no doubt.

I don't mean to lower the quality of debate, but this really did make me LOL.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

The only funny thing about that is that it was actually feminists who insisted on not letting these events ve buried. Funny as in that comic is fucking dumb.
Love, scriver~

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11191 on: January 08, 2016, 03:05:45 am »

He's not saying "they're now using the Cologne attacks as an excuse to complain about feminism", he's saying "they're using Cologne, which has nothing to do with feminism, as just another reason to complain about feminism".

nooooo

i'm saying it's ridiculous that they're using cologne merely as an excuse to complain about feminism, not that it has nothing to do with it

actually, the censorship doesn't have anything to do with feminism in particular, only with the politics stuff i talked about earlier; if you're a feminist, you're a liberal and thus not allowed to complain about islam etc.

but for some reason KiA is doing some sort of weird generalization and lumping "the left" into "feminism", which is bizarre, not exactly because the left isn't feminist but because it's a really strange generalization, like saying that the anti-abortion movement is too focused on laissez-faire capitalism
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:09:09 am by Putnam »

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #11192 on: January 08, 2016, 03:10:30 am »

That's what I said. Granted, I also said the other thing. The "which has nothing to do with feminism" was not supposed to be a thing you said but a statement from me. I fucked up formatting there, I admit.
Love, scriver~

Nunzillor

« Reply #11193 on: January 08, 2016, 03:15:05 am »

@Putnam I'm not sure it really makes sense that a religion should be "thrown away completely" if it changes over time.  Don't all religions change over time?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11194 on: January 08, 2016, 03:21:05 am »

It seems... against the spirit? Changing a fundamental belief about reality when it turns out to be wrong?

...I mean, that's good! That's very good. But we don't usually call that religion.

God, I shouldn't come in here when religion's the topic, it gets derailed into religion.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #11195 on: January 08, 2016, 03:31:45 am »

That's not being an ass, that's reasoned criticism.

I think in general I should avoid this place? I've pretty much shown my utter disdain for religion and politics constantly, and that's basically what this topic and the religion thread (which i've stayed the hell out of, thankfully) are about.

Nunzillor

« Reply #11196 on: January 08, 2016, 03:36:27 am »

This thread does seem kind of scary.  People say never to discuss politics or religion in polite society.  There's both here!  And Gamergate!  Run and don't look back!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2016, 03:45:12 am by Nunzillor »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #11197 on: January 08, 2016, 04:35:06 am »

This thread does seem kind of scary.  People say never to discuss politics or religion in polite society.  There's both here!  And Gamergate!  Run and don't look back!
Why do you think we put the words "Calm" and "Cool" in the thread title? Because we just thought it was a bit of a hot day? Madness, it's to damp down the roaring flames of our discussions!

*i2amroy shakes fist and drinks tea!
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

wobbly

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11198 on: January 08, 2016, 05:27:43 am »

It seems... against the spirit? Changing a fundamental belief about reality when it turns out to be wrong?

...I mean, that's good! That's very good. But we don't usually call that religion.

God, I shouldn't come in here when religion's the topic, it gets derailed into religion.

Alternatively you just get rid of the notion that religion is some sort of absolute perfect truth handed down by God & it works just fine. No problem with a religion changing when people just drop the notion that their religion is the one perfect truth, same as with any other beliefs.

You know you seem to have posted a fair bit since you decided you weren't touching the topic ....

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
« Reply #11199 on: January 08, 2016, 05:53:18 am »

Oh god I fell asleep for twelve hours and everyone started talking about gamergate. Remember, there's a reason people don't usually talk about that here.

This discussion doesn't seem too bad though, I'd just like to remind everyone to stay chill.

SirQuiamus

• Bay Watcher
  • Keine Experimente!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11200 on: January 08, 2016, 06:05:35 am »

wow, discussion of #gg [verboten] without shitpocalypse and haramgeddon?

bay12 never ceases to amaze

Amperzand

• Bay Watcher
  • Knight of Cerebus
    • View Profile
« Reply #11201 on: January 08, 2016, 06:13:17 am »

Half the people on the forum seem to be here because it's a much chiller place than most places a citizen of the interwebs might reside.
Muh FG--OOC Thread
Quote from: smirk
Quote from: Shadowlord
Is there a word that combines comedy with tragedy and farce?
Heiterverzweiflung. Not a legit German word so much as something a friend and I made up in German class once. "Carefree despair". When life is so fucked that you can't stop laughing.
http://www.collinsdictionary.com

TheBiggerFish

• Bay Watcher
  • Somewhere around here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11202 on: January 08, 2016, 07:00:50 am »

Half the people on the forum seem to be here because it's a much chiller place than most places a citizen of the interwebs might reside.
Agreed.
Sigtext

It has been determined that Trump is an average unladen swallow travelling northbound at his maximum sustainable speed of -3 Obama-cubits per second in the middle of a class 3 hurricane.

TD1

• Bay Watcher
  • Childe Roland to the Dark Tower Came
    • View Profile
« Reply #11203 on: January 08, 2016, 09:20:13 am »

I could agree with that.
Life before death, strength before weakness, journey before destination
  TD1 has claimed the title of Penblessed the Endless Fountain of Epics!
Sigtext!
Poetry Thread

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11204 on: January 08, 2016, 09:26:34 am »

Only because we shitpost enough that anyone particularly volatile gets wound up to the point of either quitting or getting b&.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑
Pages: 1 ... 745 746 [747] 748 749 ... 759