Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98

Author Topic: Sim City 5  (Read 187836 times)

Briggsy16

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Sim City 5
« Reply #90 on: March 20, 2012, 01:47:01 pm »

I don't think it's out this year. Think they said 2013 in the press release.

Trorbes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 20, 2012, 04:08:41 pm »

Wow, it even simulates constructing buildings; that's very DF-like in its detail.  Now which god should I pray to so that this doesn't get simplified like they did with Spore?

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 20, 2012, 06:18:00 pm »

Wobbly building placement? What is this, Kindergarten?

It's the style they chose, I guess. It does seem a little odd though.

It's strange how building fire stations is instantaneous, while houses have to actually be built by sims. It would make more sense to put a blueprint of a fire station down which sims will then construct.

Unless I missed something.

cameron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 20, 2012, 06:40:45 pm »

the houses are built are a result of sims wanting to move to your city and you having a residential zone, having to zone a fire department and then relying on someone wanting to build one would be a bit silly

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 20, 2012, 07:01:12 pm »

You don't wait on people to build it, you hire people working for the city to build it.

I have no idea how it works in reality, but I imagine if the city wanted something built they would hire someone to do it... The houses are one matter since it's a residential zone, but actual city buildings are... yeah...

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 20, 2012, 07:12:38 pm »

It's strange how building fire stations is instantaneous, while houses have to actually be built by sims. It would make more sense to put a blueprint of a fire station down which sims will then construct.

Probably because that's how all municipal buildings have worked in every Sim City game.  You want a fire station built, it's built, no muss no fuss.  Since you'd fire people to build it as soon as you want it anyway, the minor timeframe of waiting for the building to pop up is basically incorporated in having to wait for it to come online within the city system.

I suppose I too would appreciate at least seeing an animation, but it's no big deal.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Ozyton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 20, 2012, 07:18:51 pm »

Probably because that's how all municipal buildings have worked in every Sim City game.  You want a fire station built, it's built, no muss no fuss.  Since you'd fire people to build it as soon as you want it anyway, the minor timeframe of waiting for the building to pop up is basically incorporated in having to wait for it to come online within the city system.

I suppose I too would appreciate at least seeing an animation, but it's no big deal.

Oh okay. Unfortunately I can't remember how it worked in the Sim City I played since it's been so damn long.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 20, 2012, 07:31:22 pm »

It was like that with some buildings in SC4, but others required time to construct.
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 20, 2012, 07:43:19 pm »

It was like that with some buildings in SC4, but others required time to construct.

I believe ports and airports in SC3 took time to build, they were basically zones and random tiles would pop here and there including the airstrip itself. But AFAIK every "civic" building has always been instant.

ductape

• Bay Watcher
  • MAD BOMBER
    • View Profile
    • Alchemy WebDev
« Reply #99 on: March 21, 2012, 12:25:43 am »

Its weird, at least in the USA theres no city I know of that builds anything more complicated that sidewalks and retaining walls and traffic infrastructure. Everything is built by licensed contractors, whether civic or private, construction is the same. But whatevs, its a game.
I got nothing

Sergius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: March 21, 2012, 12:49:43 am »

Well, obviously it's an oversimplification, but there's a big divide even in real life about "public buildings that are needed by the city" and "an empty lot where a family can build whatever house they feel like, including a trailer".

House lots are bought, sold, demolished, renewed by whoever was the last to buy the deed. You can't just sell a fire station to anyone who wants to make a MacDonalds instead.

micelus

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wait long enough, it moves.
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: March 21, 2012, 01:00:28 am »

This glassbox is interesting...Parts of it remind me of spore. Hope it won't be like spore.
Do you hear that, Endra? NONE CAN STAND AGAINST THE POWER OF THE DENTAL, AHAHAHAHA!!!
You win Nakeen
Marduk is my waifu
Inanna is my husbando

aaron32

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: March 21, 2012, 01:22:55 am »

New video! This time about their simulation engine.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/20/simulation-stimulation-a-peek-into-sim-citys-glassbox/#more-100147
alternatively, here: http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/03/20/geek-news-simcity-glassbox-demo-of-the-day/
DO. WANT. NOW.
I just noticed something that made the sims unique.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/12/mar/glassbox.jpg
Look at the buildings.
The words.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(Probably Ex)Admin on Urist McStation, A space station 13 server.
Link: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=123140.0

It's pretty cool. Check it out.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: March 21, 2012, 01:31:54 am »

EA presents, Sim City 5: DLC TO THE MAX!

I will probably mess around with the demo, if there is a demo that is.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: March 21, 2012, 01:33:12 am »

New video! This time about their simulation engine.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2012/03/20/simulation-stimulation-a-peek-into-sim-citys-glassbox/#more-100147
alternatively, here: http://geeks.thedailywh.at/2012/03/20/geek-news-simcity-glassbox-demo-of-the-day/
DO. WANT. NOW.
I just noticed something that made the sims unique.
http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/images/12/mar/glassbox.jpg
Look at the buildings.
The words.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Eye beer?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 ... 98