Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Hospital  (Read 2846 times)

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Hospital
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:49:54 am »

I have a few dwarves outside who have major injuries. They probably won't bleed out, but i still want them sutured. I have beds and tables in my hospital, why will nobody recover them? How highly ranked is recovering wounded?
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Hospital
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:39:28 am »

Recovering the wounded is quite important for Dwarfs, but they'll only recover unconscious Dwarfs.

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 11:36:53 am »

Ah, thanks. Will they still be sutured? They are lying around outside, awake, injured, not doing anything. They took an arrow to the knee leg damage and can't stand. Will the chief medical dwarf come to them?

EDIT: They are also starving and dehydrated, they will probably die soon :/
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:42:09 am by Icefire2314 »
"zzz"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 12:01:48 pm »

Ah, thanks. Will they still be sutured?

Once they're in the hospital :)

They are lying around outside, awake, injured, not doing anything. They took an arrow to the knee leg damage and can't stand. Will the chief medical dwarf come to them?

The CMD will only diagnose them when they're in the hospital :/

EDIT: They are also starving and dehydrated, they will probably die soon :/

If you're worried they're going to die before they're unconscious, I suppose you could have a few Dwarfs with no labours on except feeding/giving booze/water

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 01:00:00 pm »

They already died XD It's fine, a little sad but live and learn. Like the wiki says, it incorporates learning from your mistakes on a big scale.
"zzz"

Juason

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:15:03 am »

Despite having a large hospital with plenty of doctors and beds, one of my wounded dwarves ended up in his own bed, unconscious and bleeding.  I attempted to deconstruct his bed which usually gets them moved over to the hospital for diagnosis, but now he is just stuck unconscious on the ground.  Any idea how I might get this reset? 

This seems to happen a lot and might make for a good DFHack tool or some such thing until the bug can be worked out.

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 08:09:33 am »

It would be rather fun to have a Sedate Wounded labour that nurses/doctors could have - no anaesthetic drugs for dwarves of course, just a small silver hammer for tapping the noggin......

Once unconscious they could then be Recovered as normal
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 03:35:15 pm »

Once unconscious they could then be Recovered as normal

The problem would be stopping everyone from smashing Dwarf skulls for the Fun of it.

khearn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 08:23:28 pm »

I had a fairly early elf ambush in my current fort and didn't yet have a hospital set up. A warrior went down and after the fight another dwarf went to recover him. I quickly re-designated my dormitory as a hospital, but it was too late and the warrior was taken to his bedroom. So I just designated a hospital zone in his bedroom. Other dwarves quickly filled his chest and coffer with thread and cloth, the chief medical droid came and diagnosed him, then a few others came and sutured/dressed/splinted him and he was gimping back to his barracks for training in no time (with two broken arms and two broken legs, all nicely splinted). Then I just undesignated the hospital zone and his room was back to normal. Actually, I haven't checked to see if the thread and cloth ever got taken out.

TL;DR: If a dwarf gets taken to his own room instead of the hospital, designate a hospital zone in his room.

If Mohamed won't go to the mountain, move the mountain to Mohamed.
Have them killed. Nothing solves a problem quite as effectively as simply having it killed.