Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Forced Labor  (Read 13952 times)

Virlomi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Labor
« Reply #45 on: March 06, 2012, 04:03:09 pm »

http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8501/ramp002.png

That's underneath. The plan, I think, is to have the long, 3x corridor to be a death trap basically in the long haul. The 2x corridor on the inside of it will be for marksdwarfs, though I've no clue how to make it possible to safely shoot into the larger hallway from it underground yet. I'll also have the inside of the 2x corridor as a barracks/training room and hospital. But for now, it'll be a temporary meeting hall/bedroom. I'll probably put my trade depot near the barracks, on the outside of the 3x hallway. I'll go down one more floor I think to make a crafting/stockpile area. Go down one more to create a hallway towards the river and figure a way to drain the river down Z levels to make wells near to the 3x3 stairway I'm planning on making so every dwarf doesn't have to go far to get drinking water at least.

For that, would I just dig down however levels I want the wells in a safe spot, then break into the river to fill it up?

So many thoughts going through my head that I just don't know how to properly execute! lol

Edit: I just thought of something! How will I keep this ramp down tunnel entrance from flooding from simple rain?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 06:44:27 pm by Virlomi »

dukea42

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Forced Labor
« Reply #46 on: March 06, 2012, 07:13:13 pm »

No worries on rain.  Only fills existing pools.

One thing I had to learn because of how big and ambitious I also wanted to be is that you need to work in stages.  That long tunnel will be a great defence, but will do no good to store your food and other supplies and you just don't dig fast enough for both.  I  learned to make shortcuts straight into the main fortress and then you can either make a bridge to close or just wall off the shortcut to force traffic through your defended area.  You won't need to dig the defence (or have anything to put into it) until Winter or so.  Biggest threat is vermin, and monkey thieves so get things inside where the dogs can meet them at the door instead.
My posts are probably based on Masterwork DF mod
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]