Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: Reddit users--Lets drum up some PR for this lovely game!  (Read 14923 times)

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Reddit users--Lets drum up some PR for this lovely game!
« on: March 01, 2012, 04:48:59 pm »

EDIT!! Dwarf Fortress has now solidifed itself at #1 by 511 votes!!! CONGRATULATIONS!

"Engraved on the wall is a masterfully designed image of Toady and the /r/DwarfFortress community. Toady is proclaiming "Losing is Fun!" The Dragon Born is in the fetal position. The Dwarves are laughing. The artwork relates to the successful siege of the /r/gaming subreddit by /r/DwarfFortress in the late winter of 2012.
- Urist mcMotif"

Now that it has attained #1 on the Now playing list, next thing to do is to get it on the front page @ Reddit! Or at least at /r/gaming!
So, any other reddit users, feel free to upvote these threads to keep up the momentum!
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/qg9zv/what_is_dwarf_fortress_and_why_all_our_community/
http://www.reddit.com/r/Games/comments/qgaqw/what_is_dwarf_fortress_and_why_all_our_community/

And anyone else who wants to continue to help keep it at the top of the charts, read on!!:
http://www.reddit.com/message/compose/?to=GamingBot&subject=Now+Playing&message=Dwarf+Fortress

Lazy dwarves, just click the link above and press the submit button to automatically update your "Now Playing" gaming list on reddit, with Dwarf Fortress.
Every entry moves Dwarf fortress closer to the top of the sidebar "Now Playing" list. There's been a lot of headway today, and Dwarf Fortress is 341 312 298 281 votes away from the top 3!

Source:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/comments/qcsq4/people_lets_help_toady_even_more_with_some/

Thanks in advance!
p.s. The list is a little slow to update on the main-page so if you wanna see the true result, you can always check it here:
http://nowplaying.gamedifferences.com/
#8th 2nd place since the time of this post.

In a completely unrelated topic, the Reddit "Top 100 Game" Vote began today.
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/qcpfx/reddit_top_100_games_voting_begins_now/c3wjh65
Click on the top thread to upvote "Dwarf Fortress"

Or click
http://www.reddit.com/r/gaming/comments/qcpfx/reddit_top_100_games_voting_begins_now/
if you want to see the full listing and vote for something else (boooooo!)

« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 06:57:27 pm by codecx »

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Reddit users--Lets drum up some PR for this lovely game!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 05:05:17 pm »

Eighth already! Cool!

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 05:22:31 pm »

Eighth already! Cool!

As of this post, it just surpassed Starcraft 2 @ #7th place. 267 votes from the top 3!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 05:49:31 pm »

The internet purist in me is keeping me away from reddit, any reason why we need to be on these lists? :P

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2012, 06:02:21 pm »

The internet purist in me is keeping me away from reddit, any reason why we need to be on these lists? :P

LOL if you value your free time, you'll continue to stay away from Reddit. It is highly addictive once you get used to its interface. When they claim to be "The front page of the internet" its a tongue in cheek joke, but its also kinda true.

But even still, aside from the bay 12 forums, this is a pretty nice place to hang out:
http://www.reddit.com/r/dwarffortress/

The point of this?

Well, the /r/gaming subreddit has 1,203,432 readers as of today. It is quite a powerful medium to look at the sidebar and see a game like DF show up in the top 3. People get to Googling, find Bay12, which results in more interest..
More interest = More players;
More players = Larger community;
Larger community = More development;
More development = More donations;
More donations = Higher qualify of life for Toady;
Higher quality of life for Toady = Healthy Toady;
Healthy Toady = Longer living Toady;
Longer living Toady = Dwarf Fortress v1.0+

As brief as I can make it.

P.S. At the time of this post, it has now beat Team Fortress 2 for #6th place & 236 votes off from top 3.

« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 06:04:49 pm by codecx »

Martholomule

• Bay Watcher
  • Needs alcohol to get through the working day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2012, 06:06:03 pm »

any reason why we need to be on these lists? :P

I expected to find a thread full of people mobilizing to boost the numbers on their favorite but largely unknown game.  I should have known better!

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2012, 06:11:25 pm »

I wouldn't say that--since posting here, the numbers have went up substantially. They've been increasing steadily through reddit, yes. But the number of upvotes to the thread vs the overall votes doesn't quite match up. There's a sizable (but quiet) bay12 users who are putting in the effort! 92 views to this thread!

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2012, 06:55:49 pm »

I support this effort but dare not make an account because I waste enough time there as a lurker and an account would only make it worse.

Edit: we are so close to the top (969 at the time) I made an account anyway.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:54:46 pm by friendguy13 »
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

yamamushi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Dwarf Fortress
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2012, 08:07:42 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is just shy of 3rd place right now, and I have no doubt that we'll overtake Katawa Shoujo for 3rd place soon. Does anyone think Dwarf Fortress will hit 2nd or even 3rd? I'd like to dream, but I doubt we'll get that high...
I'm Digging Deeper... AGAIN... You Should Too!

Dig Deeper GOLD - 475+ items of new content including; new plants, new creatures, new metals, new woods, new gems, new stones, new crafts and much, much more.

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2012, 08:28:33 pm »

Dwarf Fortress is just shy of 3rd place right now, and I have no doubt that we'll overtake Katawa Shoujo for 3rd place soon. Does anyone think Dwarf Fortress will hit 2nd or even 3rd? I'd like to dream, but I doubt we'll get that high...

14 hours ago this campaign started with less than 50 people saying they are playing DF on Reddit.
The original intent of the poster, was 500 votes and it's almost doubled that, and still climbing steadily.

How far can it go? Technically DF was 341 off from 3rd place 5 hours ago. Now its:

40 votes off from taking Katawa Shoujo's place for #3 !!

375 votes off from taking Battlefield 3's place for #2 !!

789 votes off from taking Skyrim's place for #1 !!

I dunno about you but I love Skyrim... but the day will come where I simply will not play it as much. DF is for life.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 08:33:16 pm by codecx »

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2012, 09:02:04 pm »

#3 by one vote!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit: over 1000 now
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:20:44 pm by friendguy13 »
I find it funny that until now, no one (including myself) stopped to consider the absurdity of a submarine in which the crew cabin is filled with water and the crew is drowning when everything is working properly.

helf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 01, 2012, 09:11:30 pm »

#3 now. Lol, that didn't take long.
YOUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, I got out of the map boundry!
OUR GAMES GLITCH: Hey, a horrid monstrosity just migrated to my fortress! Let's recruit it!

Coyote Sans

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 01, 2012, 09:43:30 pm »

I'd rather not get involved with these folks. I've heard some unsavory things about the more... misogynistic elements of the redditor collective, and I want no part of that.

codecx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 01, 2012, 09:53:55 pm »

I'd rather not get involved with these folks. I've heard some unsavory things about the more... misogynistic elements of the redditor collective, and I want no part of that.

There's a light side for every dark!

But, then there's subreddits like /r/PIF which basically is a collective of people who give away games, paid for out of their own pockets by means of contests and community involvement.
« Last Edit: March 01, 2012, 09:56:41 pm by codecx »

friendguy13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2012, 09:55:56 pm »

There's a light side for every dark!

Besides 13.3% of site users are female.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5