Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7

Author Topic: Things to ponder / discuss (The Questions Thread)  (Read 11014 times)

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
Things to ponder / discuss (The Questions Thread)
« on: March 01, 2012, 08:12:05 pm »

I had a thought and I really want / need some outside feedback on it, and I think there isn't really anywhere on the forum (at least that I could find) that would be the appropriate place for a conversation like this, so I made a new thread.
If you have any questions feel free to ask them here and we can discuss it.

anyways, here's my question.

If something happens in a part of the world where it's already tomorrow, and it's such a big event that it makes world news / is written in the history books here in america, would it be written as having happened on the day that it is there, or the day that it is here?
For example, if aliens landed in Australia right now, would Americans write it as
"Aliens visited earth on March 2nd 2012" or as "Aliens visited earth on March 1st 2012"
Because I think writing that it happened tomorrow might confuse the stupid masses into thinking it hasn't happened yet. Your input?
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

kaenneth

• Bay Watcher
  • Catching fish
    • View Profile
    • Terrible Web Site
Re: Things to ponder / discuss (The Questions Thread)
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 08:30:38 pm »

If warm air rises, why is it colder at higher altitudes?
Quote from: Karnewarrior
Jeeze. Any time I want to be sigged I may as well just post in this thread.
Quote from: Darvi
That is an application of trigonometry that never occurred to me.
Quote from: PTTG??
I'm getting cake.
Don't tell anyone that you can see their shadows. If they hear you telling anyone, if you let them know that you know of them, they will get you.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 03:49:13 pm »

I had a thought and I really want / need some outside feedback on it, and I think there isn't really anywhere on the forum (at least that I could find) that would be the appropriate place for a conversation like this, so I made a new thread.
If you have any questions feel free to ask them here and we can discuss it.

anyways, here's my question.

If something happens in a part of the world where it's already tomorrow, and it's such a big event that it makes world news / is written in the history books here in america, would it be written as having happened on the day that it is there, or the day that it is here?
For example, if aliens landed in Australia right now, would Americans write it as
"Aliens visited earth on March 2nd 2012" or as "Aliens visited earth on March 1st 2012"
Because I think writing that it happened tomorrow might confuse the stupid masses into thinking it hasn't happened yet. Your input?

I think whatever day it was in the timezone it happened in. Generally speaking, you're not going to have history books written in such a timeframe that it appearing not to have happened yet is an issue, and news broadcasts would generally not mention the date, just that it happened 'a few hours ago' or whichever.

If warm air rises, why is it colder at higher altitudes?

At higher altitudes, air radiates heat faster than new heat energy can arrive on the next batch of warm air.

My question, though you need a good deal of physics as well:

If the centre of the Earth is molten iron and nickel, how does it have the aligned crystalline domains necessary to create its magnetic field?

(I asked my high school physics teacher this at a red light while he was driving myself and a few other students to a lecture at a university, he forgot to go after the light was green for a few seconds.)
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 04:09:26 pm »

I don't know enough about physics to answer that, but I have another question!

Are midgets allowed to play major league Baseball?
Since the strike zone is made per player, and is based on the distance between their knees and elbows, a midget would have a very small strike zone, meaning the pitcher would need near perfect accuracy or else every pitch would be a ball.
knowing this you'd think some teams would have midgets for when they need that extra walk, But to my knowledge there aren't any midgets on any baseball teams.  It would seem discriminatory to not allow them to play.
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:11:01 pm »

Are we human, or are we dancers?

Lexyvil

• Bay Watcher
  • Serenading the folk.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 04:39:54 pm »

Can an orange crush?

No but really, what would happen in 100~250 years from now, would our kids fail at what we maintain today?
My post ends here.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 04:47:03 pm »

Can an orange crush?

No but really, what would happen in 100~250 years from now, would our kids fail at what we maintain today?

Are you saying in the same sense that most of us couldn't cultivate a field, spin thread from raw cotton, butcher and preserve a hog, etc., unlike our great-great-grandparents?

Yeah, for one I think the art of automotive mechanics is going to be lost. So many things are computer-controlled now, such that just popping the hood and tinkering around with a wrench and some WD-40 (which was a nearly ubiquitous skill in the 1950s and 1960s) isn't going to be viable. Especially as things like hybrids and electrics gain in popularity.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 04:52:14 pm »

If the centre of the Earth is molten iron and nickel, how does it have the aligned crystalline domains necessary to create its magnetic field?
Because the field isn't a result of permanent magnetic domains but instead the electrical current existing within the core. Wiki has a (very brief) discussion

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 05:14:33 pm »

Not only are we dancers, we're disco dancers.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

DrPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • In Russia Putin strikes meteor
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 05:42:25 pm »

If i am a banana, what are everyone else then?
How can i be a proud member of mankind if i was a banana?

A deeper question would be if there would be any difference if a leatherworker or a businesswoman made banana smoothie out of me? Given that i am one.
Theres only one who knows the answer, and that is everyone else that lives in a giant ANSI UFO

what the fuck am i writing?
Would the owner of an ounce of dignity please contact the mall security?

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 05:58:41 pm »

I agree, we are only dancers, for all of life is a stage.

chaoticag

• Bay Watcher
  • All Natural Pengbean
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 09:13:43 pm »

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 06:08:28 am »

I agree, we are only dancers, for all of life is a stage.

And dancers are the only ones to inhabit stages?

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 10:24:57 am »

Where does the dust in my navel come from? Why does it hurt when I scratch the right side of my navel, but not my left?
Love, scriver~

Salmonpunch

• Bay Watcher
  • Fishing poles are for the weak.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 10:27:09 am »

Where does the dust in my navel come from? Why does it hurt when I scratch the right side of my navel, but not my left?

Clearly there's a tiny FB nesting in the right side of your navel. Beware its deadly dust!
This is Gabe Newell, a vast humanoid. He undulates rhythmically. Beware his deadly release schedule!
Oh look, more apocalypse in my cereal.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7