Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [NO_PAIN]? More like [NO_SPINE]!  (Read 2840 times)

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware their adorable guns!
    • View Profile
[NO_PAIN]? More like [NO_SPINE]!
« on: March 01, 2012, 09:37:37 pm »

Loz Unsnuksest was an adventurer.  He was the only one of his kind.

In the late summer of 125, Loz attempted to conquer a Ushul Minbaz, a world filled with evil.

In the late summer of 125, Loz challenged three zombie yaks to a duel.

In the late summer of 125, Muddlepale the zombie yak attacked Loz.  While defeated, the latter escaped with a broken upper spine.

In a world I custom-genned to be entirely evil, I created Loz, the sole pillar of good in this evil world.  He wandered around, searching for his first terrible beast to slay.  Almost immediately, Loz discovered a cave entrance which no-doubt lead to the dark underworld below.  Loz wasted no time in scaling the mountain to the entrance.  Unfortunately, guarding the cave was a herd of zombie yaks.  The yaks, probably laughing to themselves over the foolish adventurer, proceeded to charge Loz and knock him right off the cliff he had climbed up.

Luckily for him, Loz's upper spine broke his fall.  Having decided that he should make a tactical retreat, Loz attempted to crawl to safety.  The zombie yaks watched curiously, for they had never before seen someone move so fast using only his face.  After about 0.3 seconds of watching this hilariously pitiful display, the yaks decided to put the poor adventurer out of his misery.

Having little to no knowledge of anatomy, the yaks first attempted to destroy the vital organs within Loz's arms.  Unfortunately, they only succeed in breaking every bone in his arm in at least 3 places.  Had his lungs been functional at that moment, Loz would have laughed at how pitiful the attacks were.  Why, he could barely feel his bones breaking at all!

Finally, the yaks tired of having to move every four or five turns to chase after Loz.  They decided that they would have to remove his source of locomotion before they would be able to atomize the rest of his limbs.  The lead yak delivered a short, sharp kick to Loz's head.  Unfortunately for Loz, the damage to his brain left him unable to move any farther, and he was forced to retire on the spot as a corpse.

So anyway, during this adventure, I realized that nervous tissue damage apparently prevents you from feeling pain.  I honestly never realized that it did until I wondered why Loz wasn't passing out from the 27 different bone fractures he had.  Only then did I realize that he wasn't feeling any pain at all.  I though perhaps I had accidentally touched an evil mist and became a husk, but I checked his description and he hadn't.  After thinking about it for a while, I realized that it would probably be rather difficult to feel pain without a working spine.  Anyway, I just felt like sharing this story with you all.
To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Custom transformations got you down?
Here, have some ‼Science‼

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: [NO_PAIN]? More like [NO_SPINE]!
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 04:36:57 pm »

Same effect as burning nerves off ^-^

Well, with paralyzing...

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:11:19 pm »

Well, with paralyzing...

How did you manage to burn the nerves off? Did you specifically try to do that, or was that just a side effect of burning everything off?

To make magma-proof, set melting/boiling temperature higher than 12000. To make magma proof, set magma to be brewable.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 08:19:49 am »

Well, with paralyzing...

How did you manage to burn the nerves off? Did you specifically try to do that, or was that just a side effect of burning everything off?

Side effect of getting rid of eyeballs :P
Also used a Titan with a vaporous extract

Leo and the Hairy Midgets

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm not the brightest spoon in the shed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 08:51:32 pm »

Loz sounds like a true adventurer. Such a lucky man to have his upper spine break his fall.
I had a drink the other day. Opinions were like kittens I was giving them away, and I had a drink the other day. I had a lot to say.

Brotato

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware the Destroyer of Threads!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2012, 09:34:21 pm »

How'd you make an all evil world?
Dwarf Fortress: The only game where people will hold a logical discussion about why dwarves are putting on clothes.
OK, I have to reload the save.
There was a bit of a problem regarding flashfreezing, a ballistae, and a barrel of dwarven ale. Gonna fix it up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2012, 11:12:13 pm »

Ramp up the evil square count per region

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2012, 11:53:25 pm »

I love this game, it never ceases to amaze me with stories of people breaking various parts of their bodies
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

RadHazard

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 12:24:46 am »

Ramp up the evil square count per region

I also reduced the minimum good count for small/medium/large regions to zero

StreetPizza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:18:33 am »

Anatomically, this actually makes sense--nervous tissue damage does indeed prevent you from feeling pain.

This is because your nervous system is divided into motor and sensory nerves. You use motor nerves to move and sensory nerves to feel pain (and everything else). When your adventurer hit his upper spine, he probably ended up with bone fragments from the broken spine tearing up his nervous system, hence the "no more functioning limbs" thing. It just had the (awesome) side effect of also tearing up your motor nerves, thus giving you the power of [NO_PAIN].

And do you know what the best part is? Motor and sensory nerves can be severed separately. Have you ever seen, for instance, after a slashing attack to an arm or a leg, the message, "A motor nerve/A sensory nerve/Many nerves has/have been severed!"?

Oh yeah. I think it's time for Dwarven !!Science!! to start cranking us out some pain-immune super-soldiers.
the soapmaker Urist McSudsy has come!  Beware his deadly cleansing action!

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:28:21 am »

I love this game, it never ceases to amaze me with stories of people breaking various parts of their bodies

I'd sig that, but I'm out of room
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?