Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dwarfs with infections not in hospital  (Read 2446 times)

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dwarfs with infections not in hospital
« on: March 01, 2012, 11:29:52 pm »

I have a couple of dwarfs that have infections, but they aren't going to the hospital....

I have soap, and clean water wells.

please tell me they aren't going to die from infection because they're being dwarf-headed x_x
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dwarfs with infections not in hospital
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2012, 11:38:39 pm »

Dwarven medical science is not at the point of actually treating infections. You can try to avoid them, but once you get them you can only hope.

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2012, 11:46:25 pm »

D :
but... but... I thought soap and water....

guess I'll make some tombs.....
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Yaotzin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2012, 11:47:29 pm »

Soap and clean water help prevent infections, they don't cure them. Same as real life.

Dwarves often recover from them tho.

Torgan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 04:39:24 am »

The only real way to avoid them is to get their wounds cleaned asap once they are in the hospital. Of course your chief medical dwarf will find that a vital time to eat, drink, sleep, go on a break, drink then go to the hospital.

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 09:30:18 am »

Dwarves have yet in invent penicillin.  There's nothing you can do but hope the patient survives the infection.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 10:19:42 am »

Dwarves have yet in invent penicillin.  There's nothing you can do but hope the patient survives the infection.

Or invent magma penicillin.

Melzer

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_POST][CURIOUSBEAST_POSTER][FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 10:51:26 am »

actually it's a good idea to wait the infection out. After a dwarf gets a infection s/he has a 60% chance of survival.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2012, 12:12:06 pm »

I've got 3 dwarves running around with infection in my current fort. Two of them have said infection for 6 years now. They don't seem to die from it. If I understand correctly, each season change, there is a chance the infection will go away. I guess my dwarves are both lucky to be alive and unlucky to still have the infection after 6 years
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Symmetry

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2012, 01:36:51 pm »

I think I saw someone say that washing, and especially washing with soap, reduces the chance you'll contract an infection if you get injured.

So the more often your dwarves wash with soap the safer they'll be form the infection RNG.

Moddan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2012, 02:24:44 pm »

Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 02:28:39 pm by Moddan »

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2012, 02:35:11 pm »

Would be cool if one could order amputations to fight infections.

UristMcComsense: But... But.. It's the head wound that's infected!
UristMcMaddoc: Worth a try.

haha no doubt!
UristMcMaddoc: "Oh! Fresh meat! I can make so many improvements!"

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 08:26:39 am »

I think I saw someone say that washing, and especially washing with soap, reduces the chance you'll contract an infection if you get injured.

Indeed. Which is quite funny, where you get the case of making blood showers that drench your Dwarfs in blood splatters actually reducing the chance of infection, because it forces them to take baths :P

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 08:33:32 am »

Yes. Also, the dwarf's sickness resistance attribute modifies the chance to get sick and the chance to die from infection.
I had Morul Riverroughness, a hunter who oneshotted a Voracious Cave Crawler with bone bolts, survived lying in the dirt for a month before being rescued. She was missing her entire right leg. She got one infection which disappeared quickly.

Same with another one of my previous dwarves; Zaneg Meetingcrypts the Blockaded Recluse of Justice; lost a leg, got rot, multiple open wounds that never healed and she never got an infection.