Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: How to get Legends Viewer to work  (Read 2261 times)

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
How to get Legends Viewer to work
« on: October 06, 2021, 07:20:37 pm »

Is it normal for Legends Viewer to constantly be reading my XML dumps as corrupted and being unable to load them as a result (even after re-dumping, creating a fresh world, re-installing the game as a whole, etc.)? I'm guessing it's not since this is a utility other players seem to use without any complaints or difficulties that I've heard about, but I'm really stumped as to what the problem could be and how to solve it. Any help would be much appreciated (but keep in mind that my computing knowledge is virtually non-existent, and also that I don't use DFHack).
« Last Edit: October 06, 2021, 07:22:21 pm by PlumpHelmetMan »
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.

PatrikLundell

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: How to get Legends Viewer to work
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2021, 02:59:35 am »

No, it's not normal. Legends Viewer support is very good, so I'd suggest you bring up your problems there. However, you'd need to provide more info for any investigation to have any chance to succeed.

I'd expect problems if you try to use a Legends Viewer version newer than the DF version you export the data from. Since you're not using DFHack you're not able to export the extra stuff DFHack can provide, so that part can't cause trouble, but DF itself may change the format of the exported data over time, meaning that Legends Viewer has to adapt to use the changed format (and thus wouldn't work properly with the old one).

For an investigation, I'd suggest you provide the exported data you have problems with: if others can read it but you can't, there's something wrong locally (not necessarily your direct fault, but something specific to your environment).
The OS used may be of interest, and it would also be good to know if the path to the XML files contain "strange" characters, such as when there are characters with "ornamentation" (cedillas, circumflexes, accents, etc.) or e.g. using non Latin characters  (and if it does, I'd try to move the files to somewhere with a "simple" path without such characters).
The DF and Legends Viewer versions used are of interest, and it's also of interest to know if mods are used (those might potentially result in exports that Legends Viewer has never been tested against).

There is probably additional info that's of interest for an investigation, but that's what I can come up with off the top of my head.

Also, when it has happened to me (typically because of new/changed exported data from DFHack) there is some indication of what Legends Viewer doesn't succeed in reading.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 03:01:22 am by PatrikLundell »

PlumpHelmetMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Try me with sauce...
    • View Profile
Re: How to get Legends Viewer to work
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2021, 03:08:25 am »

I'm on 47.05 so I can safely say the version number isn't an issue. Anyway I'll check out Legends Viewer support, thanks.
It's actually pretty terrifying to think about having all of your fat melt off into grease because you started sweating too much.