Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Generated RAWs from World.dat  (Read 3256 times)

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
Generated RAWs from World.dat
« on: March 02, 2012, 05:10:49 pm »

All the exported raw tags from an example pocket world.
Approx. 50 of each procedurally generated creature type, curses, materials, etc.
All tags and strings are included, in the order found within the world.dat

Intended for modders who want examples of how DF makes were-beasts, titans, demons, vampires, night creatures, etc, etc.

DFFD Link.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
Re: Generated RAWs from World.dat
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 05:12:38 pm »

Thanks! I had forgotten how to extract the damn things and was afraid to have to ask again. Very helpful!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 05:32:24 pm »

Thanks! I had forgotten how to extract the damn things and was afraid to have to ask again. Very helpful!
Nothing to be afraid of.

1) Set [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] at the end of the init.txt
2) Generate world.
3) Open in any hex editor.  Strings are saved preceded with a 16 bit integer indicating their length.

Writing a program to extract the uncompressed tags is very easy, but I haven't bothered updating DFWorldTinker.
I just copied from my hex editor, and used a couple regular expression search-replaces to turn the integer lengths into carriage returns.

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 07:03:08 pm »

You are brilliant and this is exactly the sort of information I have been trawling the wiki for.
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

narhiril

• Bay Watcher
  • [DUTY_BOUND]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 07:13:48 pm »

You are brilliant and this is exactly the sort of information I have been trawling the wiki for.

Seconded.  Thanks a bunch.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 07:15:48 pm »

1) Set [COMPRESSED_SAVES:NO] at the end of the init.txt
2) Generate world.
3) Open in any hex editor.  Strings are saved preceded with a 16 bit integer indicating their length.

Writing a program to extract the uncompressed tags is very easy, but I haven't bothered updating DFWorldTinker.
I just copied from my hex editor, and used a couple regular expression search-replaces to turn the integer lengths into carriage returns.

If you've got PHP, you can run this script to extract them from a fresh world or an active save, and it'll even work if it's compressed.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 07:56:35 pm »

Big thanks from me as well :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Alexander86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 09:50:12 pm »

I look forward to seeing what you masters of the modding arts can do with this information.

Lovechild

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 06:17:14 am »

Thanks a lot, this will be very useful.
All Races Playable Mod - Minimal mod to play as any race in DF - For 0.50.01

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 07:00:33 am »

..Did I just see a werehedgehog in there?

Reminds me of Sonic Unleashed.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 07:52:56 am »

That was educative, thank you very much.
But he who increases knowledge increases sorrow indeed. It doesn't matter how many types of vampires, necros or mummies you set all of them will be identical. All the mists and such will fall into three categories: do nothing/kill outright/transform into monsters whose only difference is name. Me sad.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

zilpin

• Bay Watcher
  • 437 forever!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 01:43:21 pm »

But he who increases knowledge increases sorrow indeed. It doesn't matter how many types of vampires, necros or mummies you set all of them will be identical. All the mists and such will fall into three categories: do nothing/kill outright/transform into monsters whose only difference is name. Me sad.

Ah, but you can create your own interactions, with whatever attached syndromes you like.
For example, a rain/mist which makes dwarfs stronger, or adds the swim innate tag.
Toady opened up a lot of possibilities.
I can't wait to see what Deon does in Genesis with these.

fmunoz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.wesnoth.org
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2012, 01:56:17 pm »

Not all monster transformation mists (and undead animations) are identical, some are better (faster) then others, mostly by the different values in
[CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:60:START:0], [CE_SPEED_CHANGE:SPEED_PERC:20:START:0] or lack of it.