Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Non ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT entities are perennially happy in Fortress Mode  (Read 1243 times)

Mr. Albatross

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I play Fortress mode alot with various entities and creatures of my own creation and one thing I've noticed is that creatures that are not ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT (for flavour reasons) often seem to be happy or ecstatic. I've been thinking that this might make playing with different kinds of entities less fun then it otherwise could be.

1. Has anyone noticed/is noticing the same thing? Does anyone else think it could be improved?

2. Does anyone have any ideas on how this could be changed without affecting the balance of Fortress mode with dwarves? I'm pretty certain that modding can't fix that, but perhaps we can come up with something to suggest for a later version.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
Re: Non ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT entities are perennially happy in Fortress Mode
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 12:46:41 pm »

Could it just be that you have different [PERSONALITY:XX] tokens on your creatures and they are giving you different results then the dwarves? Because I have never heard or noticed anything that would point to ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT affecting happiness that significantly.

Also if you really want your creatures to be emo freaks then simply edit the personality tokens for them to be more depressed.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 12:53:07 pm »

Mh.. interesting, this means I could add a harder mode (optional) with more tantrum spirals to my mod :)

EDIT: Could not find much here: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/v0.31:Personality_trait only unhappy thoughts from talking to nobles and unhappy thoughts from talking with others.

Any idea what exactly causes dwarves to become unhappier faster ?
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:56:37 pm by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 01:05:12 pm »

The big trait you are looking for is number three on the list [PERSONALITY:DEPRESSION:X:X:X] (with high values being bad). You might also want to consider messing around with low CHEERFULNESS, high VULNERABILITY, high EMOTIONALITY, high ANXIETY, and low SELF_EFFICACY to really make your creatures emotionally vulnerable. Combine this with a high ANGER and you end up with super depressed and emotionally unstable creatures that fly into a rage at the slightest notice. Throw [PRONE_TO_RAGE:100] on top of that and you have super depressed, emotionally unstable, rage filled creatures that will happily charge suicidally into any nearby wildlife or invaders.
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 01:08:39 pm »

Ok, thanks. Thought that it was just for the description, and did not alter the happiness itself. Is taken into my todo list then :)
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

krisslanza

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:09:35 pm »

Could the lack of the ALCOHOL_DEPENDENT token make them happier, simply because they don't get the unhappiness from lack of booze, or from drinking the same booze too much?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 01:20:14 pm »

Ok, thanks. Thought that it was just for the description, and did not alter the happiness itself. Is taken into my todo list then :)
This is the easiest thing to see that they do. In general it's believed that the other personality traits do have effects on the moods of dwarves, but I believe that they are omitted from the wiki due to an extreme difficulty in testing different traits so that it isn't influenced by the extreme number of variables and it provides an easily seen result.

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 01:24:25 pm »

you could also use the vermin token that gives unhappy thoughts and apply it to all creatures (or dwarves themselves!)

Don't know if this works though, just a guess.

I think it was [VERMIN_HATEABLE]
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 04:01:09 pm »

I have no idea what [VERMIN_HATEABLE] does to a non-vermin creature. Hope this works :)

Vandala

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Tinkerer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 04:05:19 pm »

I have no idea what [VERMIN_HATEABLE] does to a non-vermin creature. Hope this works :)
Wiki says that this allows dwarfs to hate a creature with the tag. I think this gives it a chance to appear in a dwarfs preferences (liking/disliking material, creatures, etc). Wiki says it gives them unhappy thoughts due to the creature. (don't remember if it was just seeing them or hearing them or some other interaction. this ought to be proper scienced to see if you can make dwarfs hate dwarfs)
Working on the "Dwarf Fortress Mod Creation Kit"
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=102881.0

GO BUY STARFARER NOW!!!! It's crazy awesome!
http://fractalsoftworks.com/

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 04:29:18 pm »

Seeing them. Even works in cages. So ugly goblins in cages snarling at your dwarves would give them bad thoughts, good. :)