Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Brain Stem project - Current stage version 1!  (Read 10403 times)

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Brain Stem project - Current stage version 1!
« on: March 02, 2012, 09:20:17 pm »

<insert placeholder text here>

Latest version here!
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5870

Spits the brain into 3 parts, the cerebrum, cerebellum and connective tissue.
Damage to the cerebrum causes nausea and unconsciousness, while the cerebellum acts as a backup thought source. the connective tissue wraps around both parts and can cause severe bleeding.
eventually I want damage to the cerebellum to cause motor distress - but that kink hasn't quite been worked out yet.

This should work with any version .31 on onwards of current posting

Original OP
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 12:32:23 pm by Nihilist »

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
Re: Brain Stem project - Current stage Testing theories
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2012, 09:51:48 pm »

Impressive.

You can attach the syndrome to an inorganic mat, and make the new "brain blood" template use this. I will be following this :)
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Icefire2314

• Bay Watcher
  • Programmer and Space Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2012, 10:55:54 pm »

Looks fun :D I hate it when my dwarves die early due to getting punched with inconveniently breaks their skull open and smashes their brain apart. Sucks. Of course, when it's MY dwarves doing that... well... :P
"ERUTH PULL THE DAMN LEVER THE ZOMBIES ARE ABOUT TO GET INSIDE!"
"zzz"
BAY 12 MINI CITY: http://bay-12.myminicity.com/

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2012, 11:12:25 pm »

Ninja Zombie assassins are what got me started up on this hehe.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2012, 11:35:37 pm »

Hmm So I get how to make the new brain blood template, but I'm struggling on how to make the brain bleed something different.. unless can I change the tissue template from local tissue mat to something different... hmm <runs off to test>

arzzult

• Bay Watcher
  • This statement is false.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2012, 11:37:22 pm »

That wasn't really a big issue since goal 1 was met, but there is a much larger issue... if I want this extended to non-dwarves I would need to add :STEM: to every creature 0.0!

You're just not thinking creatively enough. You could simply add the stem as part of the already existing brain entry and it would be auto included to every thing with a :BRAIN:

Edit: Also I enjoy adding the [JOINT] tage to the neck and spine entries personally.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2012, 11:41:25 pm by arzzult »
I just realized two things. 1. For the Win and F___ the World have the same initials. 2. They have the same meaning in Dwarf Fortress.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2012, 11:46:13 pm »

Make the brain stem out of some other material and set it to have whatever properties the iron man has that makes it spew gas when hit. You should be able to change the state of the material to something that doesn't make such a display.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2012, 11:53:46 pm »

Make the brain stem out of some other material and set it to have whatever properties the iron man has that makes it spew gas when hit. You should be able to change the state of the material to something that doesn't make such a display.
I'm leaning towards this, well more spefically I may need to convert the brain for it to work right. This stem is functionally the upperspines nervous tissue now, it it being damaged is fatal unless you have [NO_BREATHE]

edit: hmm maybe not. The iron man has a gas layer under its skin. Not sure how to apply that to a body part.

Okay here is specially where I'm stuck.
 Blood is set with
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
Which I'm a bit familiar with from making poison blood. What I don't know is how to set a blood type to a specific part or enter more than one blood type. I have the feeling from looking at the tags its hardcoded to be universal. I mean it makes sense right?
Secretions are out, for obvious reasons.. <wanders off pondering>
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 12:12:50 am by Nihilist »

Addict

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2012, 12:08:09 am »

*bow*

this is amazing.
I may have to take up a second programming language to lend a hand to projects like this.

I approve.
Especially because its unrealistic for a stampeding rhinocerous to die and stop stampeding forward from a little bit of brain death.
The best choice of restraint is therefore a good strong metal chain. A high-quality chain will also let the prisoner admire it, giving him a boost to his happiness.

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 03, 2012, 12:50:44 am »

I'm leaning towards this, well more spefically I may need to convert the brain for it to work right. This stem is functionally the upperspines nervous tissue now, it it being damaged is fatal unless you have [NO_BREATHE]

edit: hmm maybe not. The iron man has a gas layer under its skin. Not sure how to apply that to a body part.

Okay here is specially where I'm stuck.
 Blood is set with
   [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
   [BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:BLOOD:LIQUID]
Which I'm a bit familiar with from making poison blood. What I don't know is how to set a blood type to a specific part or enter more than one blood type. I have the feeling from looking at the tags its hardcoded to be universal. I mean it makes sense right?
Secretions are out, for obvious reasons.. <wanders off pondering>
based on my meatmod selecting tissues in specific bodyparts works this way...
--after the use material templates:
      [USE_MATERIAL_TEMPLATE:SYNDROME_BLOOD:BLOOD_TEMPLATE]
         [Put your Syndrome Here]
--after the use tissue templates:
      [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SYNDROME_SPINE:SPINE_TEMPLATE]
         [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SYNDROME_BLOOD]
--after the tl major arteries:
   [SELECT_TISSUE_LAYER:BLOOD:BY_CATEGORY:SPINE]
      [SET_LAYER_TISSUE:SYNDROME_SPINE]
      [TL_RELATIVE_THICKNESS:50]
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Hugo_The_Dwarf

• Bay Watcher
  • Modding Mentor
    • View Profile
    • Regeneration: Forced Evolution
« Reply #10 on: March 03, 2012, 02:18:28 am »

another great thing to add into Regen, along with gentials for an extra spot to cause pain

Batmantis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2012, 07:43:48 am »

Using this as something to go off as suggested, which is how i interpreted the Iron man acting as it does;

and Modifying the brain to show something like this:

and the adding this to my [only female caste entry yet, as i have them totally seperate] Human:
Brain_blood atm is just a copy of Creature_extract_template, as was the case with the iron man.

Brain membrane defined in tissue template; nothing special here.

Im going to test and post result, if the only contribution i make is what not to do, well thats okay.

Edit:what i did find was a lot of punching skull fragments though brain's brain tissue; im far to tired to figure out anymore and investigate weather the Syn is taking effect, I'll just leave this here for now and return tomorrow to see if there's been anything constructive in my absence.

Kudos to Op for the great idea, and hope this helps you cause.

P.s; im still learning, this could be 100% misguided and wrong for all i know heh.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 08:19:27 am by Batmantis »
See, I play as a highland lord, I light the torches its time for war, I'll ride through a rival town weilding a ball and chain made of spikes and thorns, or a longsword, with the hilt made out of a dinosaurs spinal chord, sharpened against a rhino's horn, when you swing it it sounds like a lions roar!

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 03, 2012, 09:30:38 am »

If I still know my raw-fu correctly, the brain gas will spread to the outsides of the head when the brain is damaged, possibly inflicting both the attacker and the victim with brain damage.
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 03, 2012, 09:55:39 am »

As for adding stem to every creature arrzult's right:
Code: (body_default) [Select]
[BODY:BRAIN]
[BP:BRAIN:brain:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][THOUGHT][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:BRAIN]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:200]
[BP:IBRAIN:brain stem:STP][CONTYPE:HEAD][THOUGHT][INTERNAL][SMALL][CATEGORY:BRAIN]
[DEFAULT_RELSIZE:20]
Code: (b_detail_plan) [Select]
[BODY_DETAIL_PLAN:STANDARD_HEAD_POSITIONS]
[BP_RELATION:BY_CATEGORY:SKULL:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:BRAIN:100]
[BP_RELATION:BY_TOKEN:BRAIN:AROUND:BY_CATEGORY:IBRAIN:10]
gives it to everyone, buut during testing punching proved to tear the stem first and despite stem being identical to the brain subjects always suffocated. On the other hand, right now, I'm being chased by an individual whom I had hacked in the head with adamantine halberd for three times giving him some time to recover.

Edit: Weird, but this effect is caused by declaration order. I had made stem hundred time bigger than brain and damaging it still caused suffocation, but when I'd swapped lines so stem was declared first they became suffocating from brain damage.
Editt:
So I went back to the drawing board and applied some KISS philosophy, I simply added [THOUGHT] to the NECK entry in body_default. The NECK is essentially the upperspine, so it being destroyed causes death via suffication anywho.
In limited testing, this seems to happen less often than the STEM getting destroyed was.
In my testing this made creatures unkillable via head damage.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 10:43:09 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 03, 2012, 01:30:53 pm »

Wow lots to process this morning.

@Courtsey Arloban, this is brilliant! I may have figure out how to do what I want off this, though am having an issue with
after the use tissue templates:
      [USE_TISSUE_TEMPLATE:SYNDROME_SPINE:SPINE_TEMPLATE]
         [TISSUE_MATERIAL:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:SYNDROME_BLOOD]
Bolded section is giving  me this in errorlog.txt
*** Error(s) found in the file "raw/objects/creature_standard.txt"
DWARF:Unrecognized Creature Token: TISSUE_MATERIAL

@Di, oo interesting on the declaration order, when I get to doing balance testing i'll try this out. And yea, the current upper spine solution does make creatures unskilled by head trauma - kinda of. Against blunt weapons the first hit will knock them unconscous, and the subseqent hits will usally damage the upperspine since its CONTYPE:HEAD. I haven't tested with edged weapons though, I'm hoping decaps will occur in those cases, or cutting out the throat.
Pages: [1] 2 3