Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Let's Play Jagged Alliance 2-1.13: Part 6: Storm Team  (Read 56031 times)

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Jagged Alliance 2-1.13: Part 3: King in the North
« Reply #30 on: May 12, 2012, 11:42:22 pm »

While i would like to suggest cheating , but i don't know your opinion about it.
Also once we really are in money get Gus and Reaper.Those two guys really are good mercs.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 12:42:16 am by Xeron »

Ah, the spoils of pasting one self's face onto women's bodies...

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Jagged Alliance 2-1.13: Part 3: King in the North
« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2012, 02:39:33 am »

Spoiler: Chapter 4:Setbacks (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Update in Review (click to show/hide)

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
  • Lord of Norderland - Lv 20 SKOOKUM ROC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's Play Jagged Alliance 2-1.13: Part 4:Setbacks
« Reply #32 on: May 21, 2012, 07:31:31 am »

If you can't hire a good merc, then hire a lousy one.  As for medical skill, you really don't need an exceptionally talented agent.  Just hire someone a notch higher than 50 if you you can.  Check out the M.E.R.C. guys, you might find something there useful to bridge the gap.

But honestly: How exactly was it in character for my guy to volunteer to risk himself like he did, leading to his death?  He was a colossal coward.  If he wasn't going to stick around to save a buddy, there is no way he would agree to storm an enemy position that already claimed one life relying solely on a grenade and good luck.  Dude, that just wasn't realistic.  I'm not saying that I'm bitter about dying (you should know that more than anyone from the Apoc LP), but the way I died just wasn't right.

But hey, I understand the decision from a tactical perspective (my guy was the most useless living member of the squad at the time, so he got to do the suicide run), so no worries.  Overall, you're not doing bad, but you should probably play it safe, as a few more deaths and A.I.M. will close their doors to you.  I think the negative reaction due to high casualties goes down if you can go last two weeks without casualties.  Note that I was never too sure of that in the standard version of JA2, and this modded version may do something completely different.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 21, 2012, 01:12:37 pm »

That is just the thing, it was not supposed to be dangerous at all. Xeron had the area covered, there should have been no way for an enemy to be able to shoot you. All you were supposed to do is throw a grenade around a corner but the magic bastard hiding inside had different plans. You weren't going to storm the room, the grenade was supposed to get the guy to move out of cover so Xeron could shoot him. I was hoping it would knock him into sight for you so you could take a couple of shots before retreating.

Not only that but you were fully armored and had full health.

Like I said in the first post, Jagged Alliance 2 makes life painful. We had Burntpies storm the room and for what ever reason he couldn't hit anything. Neither could Shadowgandor. We only ever caught sight of the middle guy once but he managed to repeatedly shoot us.

I tried every AIM merc down to those with 50 medical skill. Everyone either hated me or Steroid (Burntpies). The highest MERC merc has 27 medical skill. We might have to get another custom merc and lie low until AIM guys come around.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 21, 2012, 01:29:16 pm »

From what I recall (and you currently have more JA2 gametime than me), high medic skills aren't too important.

Especially since you should presumably be lying low for a while.  You've got lots of time to heal, as you need to train up. 

I'd suggest hiring the M.E.R.C guy with 27 medical for a few reasons:
1) You gotta hire at least one of the crappy M.E.R.C. people in order for their decent people to become available for hire.  Might as well start now.
2) Everyone you currently have could be doing something better than treating medical wounds, especially at the cost you're paying.  The crappy M.E.R.C. guy is probably ubercheap.
3) Most of your current crew is wounded bad.  You need more medical help.
4) I'm guessing the available recruit is Larry?  If so, he's awesome (in awesome hilarious, not awesome useful).  Just keep taking the beer away from him.  Unlike dwarven doctors, he is NOT a better medic while drunk.

Also, is the fighting arena available?  If so, and if it's not in Kingpin's town, then you should hire Bull and fight in the ring for cash and fun.  Furthermore, Bull's relatively cheap and a decent grunt.

Good luck, keep your head down and your militia up, and you should survive, provided your funds hold out.

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 21, 2012, 07:01:18 pm »

I am going to follow Euchr's advice and bring on two MERC mercs. They both suck but we need numbers damnit. Anyone can be a meat shield spotter for the good mercenaries.

Larry isn't available yet. I am looking at these two. I don't know their voice packs (aka personality) but people are welcome to them. Just claim them.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 22, 2012, 06:20:01 am »

Oh god............Biff is terrible at literally everything,he'll run away at the first sight of combat.
Good luck i guess...

Johuotar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Some game projects
« Reply #37 on: May 22, 2012, 07:01:12 am »

Gumpy is a living legend, hire him early and youll have good man. Keep him active and he can become very skilled. His wisdom stat makes him learn skills ultrafast.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2012, 08:30:08 am by Johuotar »
[img height=x width=y]http://LINK TO IMAGE HERE[/img]
The Toad hops in mysterious ways.
This pure mountain spring water is indispensable. Literally. I'm out of paper cups.

EuchreJack

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 22, 2012, 10:47:10 am »

Oh god............Biff is terrible at literally everything,he'll run away at the first sight of combat.
Good luck i guess...

Well, the key is to keep Biff out of combat.  Sadly, his rather poor medic skill is average for the team as it currently stands, which makes him good at fixing the boys up after battle, as he hopefully will not have been in the battle.

Plus, your current best medic is Booyah, who is far better used to train militia, so you can throw them at your problems instead of risking your mercs, at least for the time being.

Also, doesn't Biff have the training skill? If so, party on.

Gumpy is a living legend, hire him early and youll have good man. Keep him active and he can become very skilled. His wisdom stat makes him learn skills ultrafast.

And hey, while you lie low, you've got nothing else better to do than train.  So Gumpy's got plenty of time to get better.

Theodolus

• Bay Watcher
  • Sing until your ears bleed.
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 07:07:56 pm »

I know this is a slow moving LP, but it's pretty awesome so far. I haven't been able to convince myself to keep playing JA2 so maybe I'll get to see more of it than my few half-hearted attempts have gotten me. :)
Someday I'll find a hilarious quote and put it here...

DarkerDark

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 24, 2012, 09:20:40 pm »

Ah, good ol' Biff. He's earned a special place in my heart after taking a headshot and losing 30 points of wisdom in the game I played. From that moment on he would always get confused as to what he was supposed to be doing, though I always suspected he did it just to make Vinny's forgetfulness look more forgiving in the eyes of the other mercs . I recall he also had a special fascination with rocks. I think his career ended when he accidentally stepped on one of those "rocks."

Yeah, I'll claim Biff. :)

JacenHanLovesLegos

• Bay Watcher
  • A medium-sized creature prone to great ambition.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 24, 2012, 09:46:07 pm »

Looks interesting. Posting to watch.
As it turns out, the pen was in fact a poor choice for melee combat in comparison to the sword.
So I just started playing this game and I accidentally nuked the moon.

Burnt Pies

• Bay Watcher
  • Captain Brunch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 24, 2012, 09:51:48 pm »

Always good to see MERC getting some attention.

Is getting Tex a possibility? I think he just about beats Steroid as my favourite merc. Mainly because I always giggle at "Watch out Pardner, could be ruserers!"

Although Steroid's "My whole life just flushed before my eyes!" is pretty good, too. And his reactions to the bugs contributed a great deal to the atmosphere when I did that.
I can read box now
Also, I am a bit drunk
Refrigerator

Fikes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2012, 07:08:27 pm »

Speaking of setbacks...

I managed to cover my laptop in champagne this weekend while flying in an airplane to a job site.

Fear not! The damage doesn't seem too bad and I will be dropping it off at the laptop repair joint tomorrow.

I do not think I will have my laptop out while in flight with a drink nearby again. I managed to spill champagne all over myself on the flight back as well.

Quote from: Burnt Pies

Is getting Tex a possibility? I think he just about beats Steroid as my favourite merc. Mainly because I always giggle at "Watch out Pardner, could be ruserers!"

Any merc is a possibility, especially MERC mercs. Tex isn't around yet though.

Xeron

• Bay Watcher
  • Kill your family
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: June 15, 2012, 04:52:35 am »

So how goes the fixing of teh laptorz ?

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5