Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dying of thirst  (Read 890 times)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Dying of thirst
« on: March 04, 2012, 01:52:02 am »

I have over 3,000 drinks available across the hall from the dining room; FOR THE LOVE OF ARMOK, STOP DYING OF THIRST.

I'm about to get a tantrum spiral, I've lost several dwarves, and now their babies, to thirst, and their friends aren't liking it.

Also,

Miner fell to her death at the bottom of the world... The badly injured infant with a broken right leg and broken right arm crawled up 146 flights of stairs to reach the dining hall. There it sat miserable, exhausted, and dehydrated, for a week, and died. If it couldn't cross the last few tiles on it's own, couldn't one of the 24 idle dwarves around it at least gotten it some water?

EDIT:

...... Oh. Turns out 10 miners and their kids got themselves trapped on a ledge by channeling from the wrong side...

Note to self, check those death reports... Sigh...

But anyway, back to the kid that crawled up 146 flights of stairs.... Why wouldn't anyone at least give her water? She sat there for a week...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 01:56:28 am by rtg593 »
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dying of thirst
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:18 am »

As far as i'm aware, babies and children aren't considered for the diagnosis, bring food, or bring water jobs. So if the mother dies, or a child or baby is injured, they're pretty much screwed, unless they manage to survive to adulthood.

Jalen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 03:42:49 am »

I don't think babies can be given medical attention? I had a child who "accidentally" got into my danger room. He ended up as a cripple for life crawling everywhere with a spinal injury. I nicknamed him Timmeh.

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 04:06:37 am »

The wiki http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Baby suggests that normally 'abandoned' infants will be fed and watered as needed, assuming that materials and free dwarves with the labor are available.

Yours may be a special case related to the injury, or maybe the baby really did go insane and could not be fed or watered any more than melancoly dwarves can be (even if this was not visible to a player), or maybe it's a bug.

Time for some !!abandoned and wounded baby!! science, if anyone is up to that!
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

arphen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 05:41:02 am »

it's not a special case its simply a bug, my dwarves die every now and then because noone will give them water in the hospital.
NO i did not make any mistakes, everything is perfectly fine and 90% of dwarves get treated just right.
I have lost 200 dwarves so far in this fort and about 30 have died in the hospital because noone would care about them.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 06:00:11 am »

it's not a special case its simply a bug, my dwarves die every now and then because noone will give them water in the hospital.
NO i did not make any mistakes, everything is perfectly fine and 90% of dwarves get treated just right.
I have lost 200 dwarves so far in this fort and about 30 have died in the hospital because noone would care about them.

Regularly check the health screen, any dwarves that aren't receiving treatment and are hungry/thirsty and are on a bed or traction bench - deconstruct said furniture. Reconstruct after they have been recovered and taken to a new one.