Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: mountain is flat: is it a bug? (edit: is legit)  (Read 3472 times)

LoSboccacc

• Bay Watcher
  • Σὺν Ἀθηνᾷ καὶ χεῖρα κίνει
    • View Profile
mountain is flat: is it a bug? (edit: is legit)
« on: March 23, 2012, 04:53:08 pm »

I got this mountainous area, almost totally flat:

is it legit, or is it not intended consequence?
« Last Edit: March 23, 2012, 05:12:43 pm by LoSboccacc »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: mountain is flat: is it a bug?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 04:54:34 pm »

Legit.  It reached the world height cap.  I do this a lot on my advanced worldgens.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 04:54:50 pm »

Guess it's a plateau.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 04:57:47 pm »

That's very common.  "Mountains" are merely anything above 300 elevation.  The slope of the elevations actually isn't really any different from any other type of terrain.  I.E., you can find extreme elevation changes in a forest, or on the ocean floor. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

NedeN

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 07:35:44 pm »

That's very common.  "Mountains" are merely anything above 300 elevation.  The slope of the elevations actually isn't really any different from any other type of terrain.  I.E., you can find extreme elevation changes in a forest, or on the ocean floor.

Now is that 300 lets say feet above sea level? Or does the game have a 0 point from where above ground and underground start?
I watched a zombie dwarf tear off a girls dress and hit her with it so hard it became lodged in her skull.

Ghoulz - 15 minutes could save you 15% or more on carp insurance.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 07:59:12 pm »

Now is that 300 lets say feet above sea level? Or does the game have a 0 point from where above ground and underground start?

No, sea level is 100 elevation.  The game will never go below 1 elevation on worldgen, although underground caverns are capable of going below 0.

I believe that the elevation translates directly into z-levels, so 300 elevation is z-level elevation of 300.

Considering as a z-level = 1 floor, and 1 floor commonly equals 10 feet, you can roughly assume that as being 2,000 feet above sea level. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

zubb2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: mountain is flat: is it a bug? (edit: is legit)
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 08:03:31 pm »

I always thought of it as 3 feet cause dorfs a re short but ten is much nicer a number.
(Anyone else have any stories that can compare to a man being beaten to death with his own trousers by a giant gopher?)
(when goblins showed up, I mumbled "Smithers! Release the hounds!" and had the lever pulled.)

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 10:51:29 pm »

I consider a z-level to be 7 feet tall, myself. High enough to dig a hallway for a 5-foot dwarf (plus headroom) and still leave enough space for beams supporting the floor above. Plus the 7/7ths limit for fluids--dwarves won't go into water higher than 5/7ths, as that's literally over their heads.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 11:15:30 pm »

I consider a z-level to be 7 feet tall, myself. High enough to dig a hallway for a 5-foot dwarf (plus headroom) and still leave enough space for beams supporting the floor above. Plus the 7/7ths limit for fluids--dwarves won't go into water higher than 5/7ths, as that's literally over their heads.

7 feet tall wouldn't be tall enough for human buildings, which are built with one z-level being one floor. 

Human buildings have 8 feet of height, plus 2 feet for support for the floor above.

I just figure that dwarves might have lower ceilings, but their cautious building in stone would require that they have thicker floors (and walls) to compensate.
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

billybobfred

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONOUN: she:her:hers:herself]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 11:21:46 pm »

Not to mention, 1 z-level is just as easy to traverse as 1 square in any other direction.
urist mcgeorg, who lives in boatmurdered and makes over 10,000 bad decisions each day,