Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Town neighbor?  (Read 10617 times)

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Town neighbor?
« on: March 03, 2012, 09:26:54 pm »

Ok, I actually know what Tower is, but since when is Town a possible neighbor government?  Is it some town that rebelled?  Or taken over by bandits?  Or zombies?

The full neighbors list is

Dwares
Elves
Humans
Goblins     ---------
Tower
Town

Town seems to drop off the list a bit before Tower, but it's hard to pinpoint, as they are both on a heavily inhabited peninsula.

Zwaryczuk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Town neighbor?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 10:26:03 pm »

I've seen this too. Maybe it's a town that is run by a deamon/vamp/necromancer?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2012, 10:38:28 pm »

☼50☼ says duplicated raws

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2012, 11:27:52 pm »

Negative, I just encountered this as well, with no tampering whatsoever. Currently investigating for !!SCIENCE!!
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2012, 11:44:19 pm »

I agree, !!SCEINCE!! must be done. Wait a few years and see if it sends you caravans, or sieges you, or interacts with you in any way. After my current fort becomes too much fun, il see if i can find a town and test this myself.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:48:45 pm by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:10:55 pm »

If you mean to imply I modded the game, no.  This is vanilla.  I would have said if that was not the case.

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 12:14:23 pm »

copy the game and go in on Adventure mode to see what it is.
Or copy the game and use 'JUST EMBARK' mod to embark on it and see who makes it up.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 01:24:43 pm »

In my game, there are several towns nearby - searching each one individually seems tedious compared to running a fort, and besides, I'm more interested in the effects of a town neighbor in fort mode.

Saintsilvers is nearing the end of its second year. Still no visitors, except for a dwarven caravan.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 01:41:26 pm »

Neat! I shall monitor this development.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

tommy521

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 02:01:28 pm »

My guess would be that there is a town nearby, but that could just be me. Just because it says there is a town doesn't mean it has to be special :)

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 02:08:10 pm »

The problem is, it doesn't appear where one expects it to. For example, in the world I'm currently embarked in, I went near dozens of other towns and cities, but no "town" appeared in the neighbor page. The "town" neighbor only appeared in a specific part of the world, similar to how a "tower" neighbor only appears in proximity to a necromancer's tower.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2012, 02:12:53 pm »

Maybe the necros got lonely and migrated to a town. Then set it up as their base of operations. And made lots of new friends. From all the corpses they made.
Can they acquire new sites in world gen?
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

DS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 11:24:25 pm »

Spent nearly 5 years in the fort, with no appearance of any town-related entities. Necromancers showed up, but no town. A quick look in legends revealed that there were, in fact, vampires in the nearby towns, but there must be other factors in place - otherwise, "towns" would appear on the neighbors page for a great deal more embark locations. In any case, I've encountered a number of crash bugs which are rendering the save unplayable.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:26 am »

Yeah i tried a town neighbor embark aswell, and nothing noticable after the 2nd year. My guess is that when a town is ruled by a vamp/demon/any other evil creature, then it shows up in the neighbors, though doesint really effect gameplay, it might effect migrant-waves or other things you dont really pay attention too. !!SCIENCE!! must be done even more.
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2012, 03:45:11 am »

Town seems to drop off the list a bit before Tower, but it's hard to pinpoint, as they are both on a heavily inhabited peninsula.

I checked something out. It appears that the tower has an area of influence that reaches 10 squares from the tower. As in; hold the cursor over the tower and then move it 10 steps in a direction. be it north, south, west, east or diagonal (it is a square shape) and you should reach the influence border. One more step and you evit it; making the tower influence zone 21x21.

Hopefully there's something similar for towns and you should be able to pinpoint it with this information.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.
Pages: [1] 2