Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Necromancer Companions  (Read 7998 times)

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Necromancer Companions
« on: March 04, 2012, 02:03:34 am »

Did you guys know that you can recruit Necromancers as companions?
I figured that out with my vampire today. I was going to raid their tower for knowledge, but when I walked in, no one shouted at me. I knew that the undead would not attack me, but the Necromancers didn't attack either. I could talk to them, do missions, and even recruit a couple individuals. Now mind you, it was only 4 outta ~20 of them I got to recruit. Two were peasants, one was a drunk, and the other was an Olm man leatherworker.

Why were they not hostile? Was it possibly because I went on a rampage on the human settlement next door, possibly making me a hero in their "civilization"? Or was this a bug?
Vae Victis

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
Re: Necromancer Companions
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 02:41:52 am »

Did you guys know that you can recruit Necromancers as companions?
I figured that out with my vampire today. I was going to raid their tower for knowledge, but when I walked in, no one shouted at me. I knew that the undead would not attack me, but the Necromancers didn't attack either. I could talk to them, do missions, and even recruit a couple individuals. Now mind you, it was only 4 outta ~20 of them I got to recruit. Two were peasants, one was a drunk, and the other was an Olm man leatherworker.

Why were they not hostile? Was it possibly because I went on a rampage on the human settlement next door, possibly making me a hero in their "civilization"? Or was this a bug?
because your undead and undead won't attack fellow undead.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

Kie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 02:56:08 am »

I was under the impression that Necromancers themselves would still attack vampires. That your undeath will just prevent the zombies from attacking.
Vae Victis

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 09:02:08 am »

I was under the impression that Necromancers themselves would still attack vampires. That your undeath will just prevent the zombies from attacking.
Nope, you're all on team undead :P

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 11:59:05 am »

If you are on a quest to kill a creature, then it will always be hostile, even if you are both undead. At least that is how I think it works.

Doro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 12:05:48 pm »

atleast necromancers tried to kill me when i was necromancer myself.
could be though because i slaugthered their fellow necromancers and zombies (and stealing all the books) in lower levels before finding a book of death

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 01:16:15 pm »

could be though because i slaugthered their fellow necromancers and zombies (and stealing all the books) in lower levels before finding a book of death

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2012, 12:28:06 am »

Necromancers can even be friendliy to your average living adventurer as long as you don't attack their zombies.  If you lure all the undead out of a tower, then stealth your way back inside, you can chat up the necromancers as you steal their books.

Weirdsound

• Bay Watcher
  • Whoosh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2012, 01:29:20 am »

If you are on a quest to kill a creature, then it will always be hostile, even if you are both undead. At least that is how I think it works.

Not true. Quest Vampires don't aggro you until you call them out as such. Once I even got one to join me, used it as an ally for awhile, and then reported it's death when it caught an arrow with it's brain.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2012, 08:30:56 am »

Not true. Quest Vampires don't aggro you until you call them out as such. Once I even got one to join me, used it as an ally for awhile, and then reported it's death when it caught an arrow with it's brain.
Well yeah, because they use a fake identity so they are not recognized as the quest creature until called out.
The point is that normal "natural" alignment is ignored for creatures you are told to kill. Like elves are not at peace with wildlife that are quest goals.

truckman1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2012, 03:41:21 pm »

I'm a vampire necromancer and was able to recruit a mummy once. But when i tried to leave the catacomb he got attacked by all the stray animals in town.

Before recruiting him, when I asked him about the surrounding area, he listed his own catacomb, and how in the current year, my adventurer desecrated his tomb, which was the thing just taking place that very second.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's the point, it wouldn't be as fun to crush their souls if they didn't have souls to begin with.