Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]

Author Topic: World's biggest drug kingpin arrested.  (Read 11428 times)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
Re: World's biggest drug kingpin arrested.
« Reply #135 on: March 01, 2014, 02:16:40 pm »

Now will his arrest actually help things?

Or is this one of those situations where it is ultimately meaningless?
No matter who you're fighting, taking out the leader of the operation is bound to have some effect.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: March 06, 2014, 06:10:55 pm »

Some effect, yes, especially since there are bound to be some things he didn't leave in the hands of his cronies: certain bank accounts, etc. But it will probably result in some shuffling and continue like the Mafia, which from what I've heard, can suffer the loss of several leaders without really doing so much damage on the ground. 

More important would be grabbing certain keystone members who know a lot of things and people. The guys who know where the bodies are buried, you could say. Or planting agents in those roles.
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Sheb

• Bay Watcher
  • You Are An Avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: March 07, 2014, 12:44:57 am »

Well, it does give you a tactical opportunity to move in and re-take some neighborhoods while the organization is shaken. Also, I guess a lot of the mid-level leadership is now scared that there is a police informant in their rank.

Quote from: Paul-Henry Spaak
Europe consists only of small countries, some of which know it and some of which don’t yet.

brifoss

« Reply #138 on: March 07, 2014, 04:40:20 am »

Sad thing is not a single pound of drugs less will be moved because of that. I wonder how much that hunt cost just since he escaped from prison.

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: March 07, 2014, 09:02:40 am »

Ehn... not so much sad as unsurprising. It's not the cartels that are driving drug trafficking, just like it's not corporations or investors that create markets or provide jobs. It is -- and has always been -- existent demand. So long as the demand isn't impacted, volume will not reduce -- probably not even over the short run, and definitely not over the long.

... and you can't really reduce demand by imprisoning drug lords. Not meaningfully. It'll take either a very extreme cultural shift (both in the countries where demand centralizes and where production occurs) away from recreational drug use (hint: This isn't going to happen.), drug legalization of various sorts shifting production into better controlled areas, or something legal -- probably some form of designer drug, or a spread of them -- that provides a superior competing product, for less. Then -- and almost certainly only then, no matter how many cartel members you kill or imprison -- you will see demand for cartel products reduce, and consequentially cartel power begin to wane.

"How to kill the cartels" is... well, basically it's just simple economics. If you starve them, they will die. If you take away their food, they will not revive, later. If you kill the members and dismantle the organizations, all that happens is another group will grow to fill their place -- their sustenance (drug demand) is still there, and until it's not, the problem will remain.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: March 07, 2014, 10:07:10 am »

Demand for illegal drugs --> Demand for illegal drug supply and distribution --> Lotsa Moolah --> High labor availability
Not enough jerbs that pay living wage --> Higher labor availability
Illegal --> lotsa moolah

Legal drug supply and distribution --> Lowers demand for illegal drugs --> Lowers demand for illegal drug supply and distribution --> Less moolah

Thats my simple take on the whole drug thing.  Yea... economics.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: March 07, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »

The problem then becomes that you have large businesses who depend upon selling products that reduce people to addicts. They wouldn't be as likely to go around staging mass executions and torturing people, but it's still a bit horrifying.

LeoLeonardoIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Plump Helmet McWhiskey
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: March 07, 2014, 07:57:44 pm »

lol inb4 Blizzard
The Expedition Map
Basement Stuck
Treebanned
Haunter of Birthday Cakes, Bearded Hamburger, Intensely Off-Topic

Frumple

• Bay Watcher
  • The Prettiest Kyuuki
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: March 07, 2014, 08:45:35 pm »

The problem then becomes that you have large businesses who depend upon selling products that reduce people to addicts. They wouldn't be as likely to go around staging mass executions and torturing people, but it's still a bit horrifying.
We already have those. They're called the alcohol and tobacco industries, as well as a great chunk of the pharmaceutical industry, and that's without even touching psychological dependencies.
Ask not!
What your country can hump for you.
Ask!
What you can hump for your country.

Knit tie

• Bay Watcher
  • Consider avatar too slim until end of diet.
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: March 07, 2014, 09:44:32 pm »

Sic semper tyrannis and PTW

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: March 07, 2014, 10:57:24 pm »

We already have those. They're called the alcohol and tobacco industries, as well as a great chunk of the pharmaceutical industry, and that's without even touching psychological dependencies.
I know we already have those, and they're horrifying as well. In fact, they might among be the greatest obstacles to any kind of legalization effort, for fear of competition. Just look at their stance on cannabis.

Zangi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: March 08, 2014, 12:46:25 pm »

Maybe one day... we find the wonder drug that gives people the good feels without the side effects, physical dependency or psychological dependencies.   
Oh right, we won't.  Because then people will want still want that wonder drug for the good feels, easily dipping into psychological dependency.

Alternatively, humanity becomes happy enough to not need drugs, alcohol and tobacco to cope with life.  Never happening either.
All life begins with Nu and ends with Nu...  This is the truth! This is my belief! ... At least for now...
FMA/FMA:B Recommendation

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: March 08, 2014, 03:05:19 pm »

Humanity as a whole already doesn't need those. You say this as if you think a majority of people are alcoholics or drug addicts.
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10]