Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Concerns with the workers.  (Read 1355 times)

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Concerns with the workers.
« on: March 06, 2012, 07:33:30 am »

I've modded my dwarves into flying working machines that don't need to eat, sleep or drink, but I have a concern.

When I finish what I'm doing, I intend to return them to their mundane state. My concern is that in doing so, since it's been so long since they've eaten, drank or slept, that they will all either starve to death, thirst to death, go insane, or all 3 at the same time.

Are my concerns warranted, or is this something that I don't need to worry about?
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
Re: Concerns with the workers.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 07:37:36 am »

That entirely depends on how hunger, thirst, and sleep are measured in the game.

If they're set on a timer (Urist eats every such and such ticks) then what you fear would happen. However if it's more like a hunger or thirst bar (Think 'The Sims') then you don't have anything to worry about.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 07:53:39 am »

Copy save folder, try it out right now before you make any further progress.
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 08:00:12 am »

I think you're more likely to have issues with flying dwarves suddenly losing the ability to fly while a hundred feet above the ground....
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

wanzerm23

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • 6 plus - I play too many video games
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 08:34:25 am »

Don't worry about the fall, it's the sudden stop at the end that gets ya.

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 01:52:49 pm »

Alrighty. I've checked it out and it appears its more the hunger gauge sims method rather than the timed method. I took off [NO_DRINK] and they worked happily for a few more months before hitting the kegs.

As far as the flying thing goes, they don't really fly like birds (unless they were chasing a flying bird, maybe, but I haven't seen that happen). Rather for my case, they were just hopping down and up channels without ramps between z-levels, which was pretty cool.

The main purpose for giving them [FLIER] was to prevent death by stupidity during this large scale and mostly non micro-managed project.
Seems to have worked out pretty well, they just finished digging out all of z-level -13, so now all I have to do is tap the aquifer stalactites(salagmites? The ones that hang from the ceiling) and build a reservoir deep underground and start building my dwarven civilization.
The only thing better than dining on a fine goblin is using said goblins tallow for soap to fix up my soldiers.

Gerottomo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 02:50:06 pm »

Stalagtites are on the ceiling

Stalagmites are on the floor

Think about the T and the M

TTTTTTTTTTTT <- a bunch of Stalagtites on the cieling

MMMMMMMMM <- a bunch ofStalagmites on the floor

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 02:51:43 pm »

What did you do with [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]?

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 03:29:06 pm »

Don't pierce aquifer from below you won't be able to seal it afterwards (apart from dfliquids) and it will ruin your fps. Better do some controlled flooding from the side (from where you've pierced it).
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 03:48:30 pm »

Stalagtites are on the ceiling

Stalagmites are on the floor

Think about the T and the M

TTTTTTTTTTTT <- a bunch of Stalagtites on the cieling

MMMMMMMMM <- a bunch ofStalagmites on the floor

Nice. Never seen that before, pretty cool.

In school we always used the, "stalactites hold tightly to the ceiling, while stalagmites form mighty towers," one.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Terratoch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 09:47:35 pm »

What did you do with [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]?

I tried removing it but it did nothing.
I think alcohol dependency is hard coded for dwarves -.-

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 09:53:19 pm »

They should enjoy alcohol, but not slow down from sobriety.  IE - they hit the barrel whenever it's available, even if not dependent.