Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: how do i fortress? (random questions and answers)  (Read 7444 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: how do i... (random fortress question thread)
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 11:45:08 pm »

A Schrodinger's cat man?

Well that would certainly be sexy.
Ftfy.
Greebo is said to have a certain animal magnetism in human form.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Ghizz

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Iron & Embarking
« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2012, 02:19:26 am »

Hey everyone,
I'm fairly new to the game, about a week of just learning through the wiki and youtube. So far I've basically got the basics down, but I want to delve further into the game such as hell/magma forges/sieges etc. (Only had a goblin attack ~ 80 pop that killed my fort :/ but it was so fun seeing the chaos ensue!)

So I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer!

1) Can anyone tell me how to find a embark location that 100% contains the ore needed to make iron? I haven't had a single embark have iron ore and I've been using the find options (river: yes, aquifier: no, shallow metals: multiple. deep metals : yes,) Also most of my worlds have been generated with mineral scarcity set to frequent. I would love to go into military and stuff, but i hate the idea of my dorfs being equipped in ugly copper and not the best of the best (steel). maybe a little OCD but thats my style.

2) Another cause of failure of my fort is that sometimes migrant waves consist of huge influx of dwarfs and my food stockpiles just plummet and seeing so many unhappy dwarves just makes me sad that i can't provide for them! Any idea how to stop this from happening?

3) I haven't dugged down far enough yet, but are the caverns/hell/magma scary for a first time player?

Thanks for helping!

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Iron & Embarking
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2012, 05:16:50 am »

Hey everyone,
I'm fairly new to the game, about a week of just learning through the wiki and youtube. So far I've basically got the basics down, but I want to delve further into the game such as hell/magma forges/sieges etc. (Only had a goblin attack ~ 80 pop that killed my fort :/ but it was so fun seeing the chaos ensue!)

So I have a few questions that hopefully some of you can answer!

1) Can anyone tell me how to find a embark location that 100% contains the ore needed to make iron? I haven't had a single embark have iron ore and I've been using the find options (river: yes, aquifier: no, shallow metals: multiple. deep metals : yes,) Also most of my worlds have been generated with mineral scarcity set to frequent. I would love to go into military and stuff, but i hate the idea of my dorfs being equipped in ugly copper and not the best of the best (steel). maybe a little OCD but thats my style.

2) Another cause of failure of my fort is that sometimes migrant waves consist of huge influx of dwarfs and my food stockpiles just plummet and seeing so many unhappy dwarves just makes me sad that i can't provide for them! Any idea how to stop this from happening?

3) I haven't dugged down far enough yet, but are the caverns/hell/magma scary for a first time player?

Thanks for helping!

1) There's a few ways of garunteeing such things.. i believe there's a mod called Perfect World or something, but generally speaking, just look for embarks with "Shallow Metals" and hope for the best. You're looking for sedimentary layers, which means mountain and volcano regions are out. Alot of sedimentary layers also contain aquifers. Alot of the time though, you'll just have to make do with what you've got, at least for a while. I use leather armour to start with, for example, and upgrade from there.

2) When you get a large migrant wave, recruit 5-10 more farmers, set them to growing/brewing/cooking etc, and plant a couple more farm plots - basically just overcompensate and you'll be fine. You can always sell excess prepared food stocks to the caravans.

3) Nope, not at all. Gogo, dig dig! :D

Sus

• Bay Watcher
  • For ‼SCIENCE‼!
    • View Profile
Re: how do i... (random fortress question thread)
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2012, 06:12:18 am »

A Schrodinger's cat man?

Well that would certainly be sexy.
Ftfy.
Greebo is said to have a certain animal magnetism in human form.
That's why he put the catman in the box in the first place; it was creeping him out.
Certainly you could argue that DF is a lot like The Sims, only... you know... with more vomit and decapitation.
If you launch a wooden mine cart towards the ocean at a sufficient speed, you can have your entire dwarf sail away in an ark.

gzoker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: how do i fortress? (random questions and answers)
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2012, 06:39:23 am »

Butchering from a cage without taming: dig 20Z level pit, put butcher's shop below it. Place cage with animal next to the edge. Make pitting zone, (similar to dump zone) (P)it animal. It blows up on impact, and can be butchered. Sometimes they survive, station military for clean up. Bigger animals, deeper pits.

I have a few questions!

If you run a fortress for over a dwarf's maximum life span (Say 200 years) will all humans and dwarves instantly die of old age when they enter your map (As traders or migrants)? On a similar note, will you be sieged by historical figures if you start a war with humans?

Also, if you become the mountainhome and a monarch migrates to your fortress and dies there, but has an extended family in world gen (grown children that didn't migrate), will kingship pass to the next eligible family member? If it does, will that person show up at some point?

First part: we need SCIENCE to test it, but i think they will drop dead. Random generated migrants (from an already dead civ) probably won't.
Second part: i don't think so.
Active Interactions: RAIDER_MADNESS

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2012, 09:33:11 am »

wasnt there a way to strip a goblin of all its equipment wile its in a cage? i cant seem to get a look at its equipment and would like to dump it off a cliff and still get the armors and clothes from it.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 05, 2012, 09:47:45 am »

wasnt there a way to strip a goblin of all its equipment wile its in a cage? i cant seem to get a look at its equipment and would like to dump it off a cliff and still get the armors and clothes from it.

use [d][ b ][d] to mark the cage for dumping. Then, with [k], remove the dumping order from the cage (and just the cage). Make sure the gobbo's equipment is not forbidden.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:06:29 am by Deathsword »
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 05, 2012, 09:58:52 am »

use [d][d] to mark the cage for dumping. Then, with [k], remove the dumping order from the cage (and just the cage). Make sure the gobbo's equipment is not forbidden.
didn't work :( maybe the goblin don't have any equipment?
i know i cant check the goblin's equipment with [k] or [v]
i tryed both scrolling over the cage with k and hitting d and going into the look screen on the cage and hitting d, do i have to build the cage first?

also your post is a bit messed up but i still read it at dbd not just dd.
"Engraved on the wall is a masterful depiction of a human by Logrin.  The artwork relates to Xotano Beastblood The Everseeing Dwelling of Clouds the human vampire recruiting some new human shields companions after his encounter with Ral Firewealthy the Warm Flicker the dragon, during which his face was melted off."

300 human/elf/dwarf/goblin/kobold bodies 20 random animal/fish/bird bodies and 3 dragon bodies all in one backpack. fun stuff.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 05, 2012, 10:01:44 am »

use [d][d] to mark the cage for dumping. Then, with [k], remove the dumping order from the cage (and just the cage). Make sure the gobbo's equipment is not forbidden.
didn't work :( maybe the goblin don't have any equipment?
i know i cant check the goblin's equipment with [k] or [v]
i tryed both scrolling over the cage with k and hitting d and going into the look screen on the cage and hitting d, do i have to build the cage first?

also your post is a bit messed up but i still read it at dbd not just dd.

Designate a dump then use dbc over the cage to claim anything inside as yours, then use dbd to designate everything for dumping, then use kd to undump the cage. If you've done it right then your dwarves will leave the cage alone but take away all the equipment.

Teneb

• Bay Watcher
  • (they/them) Penguin rebellion
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 05, 2012, 10:06:59 am »

fixed above. I forgot that a b inside [ ] = bold. Sorry about that
Monstrous Manual: D&D in DF
Quote from: Tack
What if “slammed in the ass by dead philosophers” is actually the thing which will progress our culture to the next step?

Xotano

• Bay Watcher
  • Elite Head Collector
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 05, 2012, 10:30:06 am »

Designate a dump then use dbc over the cage to claim anything inside as yours, then use dbd to designate everything for dumping, then use kd to undump the cage. If you've done it right then your dwarves will leave the cage alone but take away all the equipment.

that did it, thanx
fixed above. I forgot that a b inside [ ] = bold. Sorry about that
np man xD

hey i got some rotten foods but my dwarfs wont dump em in the refuse how do i fix this?

i had to make a new dump zone and remove my old one and mark all the rotten foods with dump so they would stop causin problems :|

so how do i get all the muddy water out of my buckets now that i'v drained alot of the well water?

my pit isn't deep enough, i thought the wooden spears at the bottom would have compensated for it only being a 7z drop but i guess thats just not good enough, time to build a tower above it to turn it into a 15+z drop

yea nvm anything to do with that fortress, i didn't have my dwarfs trained correctly and i got my very first siege, it was !!FUN!!

one goblin pikeman managed to get past my bridge before it closed and he managed to kill ALL 80 or so of the dwarfs that i had inside my base.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:59:57 pm by Xotano »

plynxis

• Bay Watcher
  • Oh god I'm so tired, leave me alone...
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 05, 2012, 04:18:04 pm »

guys this thread seems to serve the same purpose as this one, which is the replacement for the df2010 little questions thread which will always be fondly remembered for its 1k+ pages  :'(

anyway, might want to migrate there since its an older thread and so that all these questions exist in one place

on the other hand, there's little harm in having two of these, other than duplicate questions and answers :P
What? Go away, I'm sleep deprived...

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2012, 09:51:13 pm »

Covering the cage in 7/7 water followed by the water freezing will kill the inhabitants, but you have to then dig out the tile and retrieve it.  I expect obsidianizing is faster.  I have also had success dipping magma proof cages in magma, but that doesnt tend to leave much to butcher.  In all cases, do not construct the cage, leave it in item form.

Disclaimer, this is from old versions and only from personal experiences, dont be mad if Im making stuff up...
Pages: 1 [2]