Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombies! Wait...  (Read 1478 times)

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Zombies! Wait...
« on: March 04, 2012, 07:14:35 pm »

I embarked in a nice peaceful location, next to a Tower. After a couple years or so, the neighbouring necromancer decided to raise zombies on my side, but oh god! They are "water buffalo bull head hair" and "ewe head wool". Really, they have not caused any harm.. other than a ton of job cancellations. My wrestlers and war dogs are unable to kill them it seems. Does anyone have any idea on how to get rid of them without magma?

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies! Wait...
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 07:21:04 pm »

the war dogs can't kill them?

... what version are you using? because, for me, war dogs have proven very efficient at dispatching undead in 34.04
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 07:24:08 pm »

I have 12 wardogs... and the problem is the wool keeps being resurrected before I can designate a dump area for it's remains and have it carried away. (I'm not in an evil biome... the necromancer just keeps resurrecting it... but I can't find the necromancer around my place. Can he do it from his tower, outside from the map?)

EDIT: Nevermind! I found him! He had somehow got inside my fortress and was in a stockpile!

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 07:30:45 pm »

Yup. Necromancers can arrive as ambushers. If there's an unguarded path to your fortress from the outside, expect every goblin, kobold, elf and necromancer  to already be in your fortress.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 07:32:51 pm »

Luckily, Armok created puppies and act(i)vety zones to prevent anything from passing through your gates undetected
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 07:35:45 pm »

Luckily, Armok created puppies and act(i)vety zones to prevent anything from passing through your gates undetected

Puppies aren't that observant though. Multiple layers are pretty much required ^-^

Or cat sentries.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:27 pm »

activety zone + puppy = goblin ambush detector. Goblins will spring from ambush to kill the puppy
activety zone + puppy + stockpile with something valuable = kobold detector. Kobold will hopefully try to steal bait item
activety zone + puppy + refuse stockpile with something re-animable = necromancer detector ?
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 07:45:32 pm »

activety zone + puppy = goblin ambush detector. Goblins will spring from ambush to kill the puppy
activety zone + puppy + stockpile with something valuable = kobold detector. Kobold will hopefully try to steal bait item
activety zone + puppy + refuse stockpile with something re-animable = necromancer detector ?

1. I put loads of doors down in .31 before, and I found that they would randomly open and become taken by enemies - that I had no knowledge of. Turns out I had found a way to observe ambushers before they had been spotted, and their pathing appears to be completely mindless, and they'd frequently walk in circles :/
At times they even walked towards civilians, walk away, or even stand besides them and not get spotted :|
2. Should work
3. Necromancer could res. the hair at a distance

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:19 pm »

EDIT: Nevermind! I found him! He had somehow got inside my fortress and was in a stockpile!

1. Obtain immortality
2. Live for hundreds of years
3. Use near god-like power to prank people with sentient wool. :D
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Dantrithor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:09:52 pm »

Well. The three disguised necromancers problem is a thing of the past. Now I have to deal with a fort which has lost a 25% of it's population not to the necromancers (which were put down by  the 5 miners who had previously decided to train kicking undead wool...) but to the rampaging animals from the merchants who berserked for no apparent reason. D'oh. At least this has been very interesting, although I'm losing it at the amount of slabs I'm queuing for engaving.