Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: Best Fortress Security Designs  (Read 12837 times)

Meansdarling

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Best Fortress Security Designs
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2012, 01:04:23 am »

I have a dry moat and a dodge me trap.
Code: [Select]
+++++++++++++++++++++
+...................+
+...................+
+...................+
+...................+
+....+++++++++++....+
+....+++++++++++....+
+....+++++++++++....+
+....+++++++++++....+
+.........+.........+
+.........+.........+
+.........+.........+
+.........+.........+
++++++....+....++++++
++++++....+....++++++
++++++....+....++++++
+++++++++++++++++++++
The pit under the bridge is usually 8-10 z levels deep.
There are no ramps along the outside edge of the moat.
There are ramps around the edge of the inner square.
I then build a wall around the entire outer edge and put in a ceiling.

Goblins run onto the bridge, dodge off to avoid weapon traps, then run away in pain over the weapon traps.
It usually kills most of them.
I'm considering never using this design again because in game it's boredom making.

quintilius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2012, 01:36:53 am »

in 34 i'd say 3/4 of the goblin siege groups come mounted on large beasts (more later) - so bridges that open down to pits will fail to open.  And with undead/husks essentially immune to magma - and the dangers associated with vaporizing an attacking dwarven necromancer (ghostly necromancer fun anyone?) - magma has to be used very carefully.
At this point i'm back to multiple entrances with different 'solutions' - but i'm not quite happy with what i've been building yet either.

http://i.imgur.com/iF9Uv.png

That's from a reddit post on the subject a couple days ago.  That one works, but too many enemies are dying too far away.  I need to bring them more to a central courtyard as has been suggested in some of these posts... then put the trade depot on the other side of it.

AnimaRytak

• Bay Watcher
  • Dangerously Fun
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2012, 02:21:39 am »

My best fort was a 3 x 10 mass of weapon traps armed with massive adamantine saw blades on a walkway overlooking a magma pit.  The first two rows were all masterwork.  No goblin ever made it passed the traps.  If, by chance, they were lucky enough to dodge the traps, they usually ended up in the magma.

Seriously a line of adamantine saw blades will usually ruin any goblin's shit with a large amount of certainty.
[RUMGOD][MURDERMACHINES_OVERLORD]
Quote from: StLeibowitz
Quote from: Yuli Vlasi
It's probably worth mentioning that AnimaRytak is the only ecstatic dwarf in the entire fort.
Quick, check him for rum! The bastard's probably spirited some off to his lair office, to act as pleasant refreshment as his evil scheme unfolds!

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 03, 2012, 08:49:33 am »

Magma landmines.
You're welcome.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 03, 2012, 09:06:47 am »

I have a spiral pathway around a deep pit. Under normal conditions the holes are closed by bridges so that none of my dwarves fall in (or get scared by what's at the bottom). When we're under attack the bridges are retracted, forcing goblins to follow the one-tile-wide winding path, bristling with serrated discs and chained war dogs. And if they dodge off it, about a hundred menacing steel spikes and an angry bronze colossus are waiting at the bottom. (My militia captain fell off once. It was horrible.)

I don't really use that defence any more though, nowadays my fortress guard is badass enough that we just rush out and meet them in the open.
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 12:18:38 am »

Wall off the entire edge of the map except for a small area. Build a mighty gatehouse, barracks, and huge blob of soldiers.

For example, see:
http://mkv25.net/dfma/poi-27291-gatehouse

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 05, 2012, 12:22:19 am »

My usual setup:

((
:::::::::::::::::::::::: (( ::::::::::::::::::::::::::
    o     o      o      o 000   o    o    o     o    o
                        W  W  W  W

0=Cage trap :=Wall (=Bridge o=Marksdwarf W=Warrior

i have Marksdwarves on the upper levels of the wall sniping things that run blindly into my cage traps  with the bulk of my military waiting for them after. Then if they cant hold the line, i close the gate. Done and done.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 12:29:03 am by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]