Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Requesting Evil Embark advice  (Read 6075 times)

ZzarkLinux

• Bay Watcher
  • [IS_BUN:#1]
    • View Profile
Re: Requesting Evil Embark advice
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 06:47:59 pm »

Trick is to lower the hatch one extra z-level.  That keeps your dwarves thinking they should dump over the edge, rather than setting the trash down.

For dumping, try stretching the zone over the hole.  They will open the hatch and drop it down.  Flying zombies will escape though.  I prefer atom smash.

Wow thanks for quick replies

I'll try to fix it tonight and see how it goes.

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 06:55:53 pm »

Okay, so, what I do when embarking is, with the exception of a grower (5 farming, 1 cook, 1 brew, 2 butcher, 1 tan) and clerk, put all my dwarfs points into combat skills. Particularly sword/axe, fighter, and shield user. Immediately have my grower and clerk dig in and make a decent start to the fortress while I have my five remaining dwarfs hunt down zombies.

One of the five has armor and competent level in armor user. He is my engager, my tank. I give individual orders to each of my soldiers to surround the targets until he closes in. The zombies focus on him, and he's tanking them pretty well for the most part while my fighters close in and chop them up. I keep this up until the grower and clerk have a hole big enough to move all the items I brought with me inside, then I have everyone haul everything inside, deconstruct the wagon with a sworddwarf and use the axedwarfs to chop down nearby trees.

Pull all the wood inside, and plug up the hole with a wall, preferably made of stone as I'm gonna use up all the wood making beds and other things, but one log less isn't going to hurt. After that I'm inside, and my grower probably has a 6x6 area dug out already for 4 3x3 farms while I have my clerk and spare soldiers making beds and whatever else I need.

2 picks, 2 axes, 2 swords, 5 bucklers, and leather armor to cover tank from head to toe (He doesn't get a weapon). Food, drink, 9 seeds of each. Cloth and thread in case my soldiers sustain any injuries. Whatever points left over for luxuries, like animals that you can skin for leather.

It's very fast to execute, and I've never been wiped out before when doing this.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 07:04:30 pm »

Warhammers.

Only for raised zombies. Don't send your warhammer dwarves against any thralls or husks if you have one. Just run. I learned the hard way when my 2 hammer dwarves got horribly mutilated by a thrall buzzard. They only survived because, after passing out, a miner had time to bisect the bird while it was pecking at bronze helms.

artifact platinum warhammers?
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 07:38:39 pm »

I've not found the point in embarking with any military - if you can't get everyone indoors before you need a military, chances are one dwarf won't make the difference. just dig in / down immediately and seal off the exit.

Nonsense!

You either go full military, or the mobile fortress technique. Bring three copper warhammers, the cheapest and most potent weapon you can bring on embark, three hammerdwarf's with proficient teaching, and they can stand guard over you while you move everything underground. You can then even put them in a 3 dwarf squad, and have 3 Hammerlords by the end of the second year - a perfect time to move into the caverns. Never bring animals. Bring copper bars and make your own tools, as well as burning your own logs to make coal - not a problem if you have the military Dwarfs. The initial three hammerdwarfs can take on anywhere from 5-10 yak sized undead without casualty or injury, but at the extreme end of the spectrum you're really pushing it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 07:42:01 pm »

Although plenty of people say to avoid slicers, I think slicers are fine, as there are only a certain number of animate bits that a slicer can make, and you're going to end up with those bits anyways.
They're usually contained in one unit though. On the other hand, perhaps two separate hands and a head are easier to deal with than a whole creature?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 07:43:21 pm »

Although plenty of people say to avoid slicers, I think slicers are fine, as there are only a certain number of animate bits that a slicer can make, and you're going to end up with those bits anyways.
They're usually contained in one unit though. On the other hand, perhaps two separate hands and a head are easier to deal with than a whole creature?
Yup. If you embark on an evil savage biome, it's a lot easier having to deal with a large creature and smaller body parts later than having to deal with a large creature twice. Generally the difference comes in cost, unless you'd want to make your own weapons on the spot and risk being undefended for a few ticks.

UncleCern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 09:05:29 pm »

By the way - caravans can leave through underground if you have the open map edge there. It's a very safe method comparing to traveling above ground.
Welcome to the mad, mad world of RAW errors or duplication. Somewhere you have files which dont quite add up, and crazy shit happens(..) There are instances of this where you can adventure as a fly, or embark with wagonmeat, wearing shoes made of burning soap(..)

DF is so awesome that it doesnt just crash, it crates batshit crazy worlds where intelligent chairs farm dragons and make houses out of thier toenails.

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 09:56:39 pm »

My novice advice is you want to dig underground and find a cavern as fast as possible to get acsess to water, this is were the military comes in, Many pepople say a military dwarf is useless, i say that they are usful, because who is going to take care of those underground beasties?
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 10:21:06 pm »

Make a dump pit that first drops the refuse onto a floor hatch, which then opens into a separate dump pit. That way the people trying to dump raiseable material won't be scared away by the undead in the pit.

I can't get this to work so far, if anyone has advice I'm all ears.

So far I've tried
1) Carve hole, Dump Zone next to hole, build Floor hatch. No mechanisms
Result: Dwarves dump items onto the floor hatch

2) Carve hole, Dump Zone next to hole, build Floor hatch. Link mechanism to lever
Result: Dwarves leave items on the dump zone

Maybe setting the hatch to Internal will make a difference?

It's a dump zone, not a water source. Place the zone on top of the hatch.

I actually didn't realize they'd open the hatch to dump things in, I always linked it to a lever and had a dwarf pull it after placing all the dump items on the dumpzone/hatch.
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?
Pages: 1 [2]