Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: World's first (?) FB silk farm-- Now completely self-contained and automated!  (Read 11381 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I believe this is the first FB silk farm DF has seen.

The first problem is capturing him.  Since webber FBs are now webimmune, I knew I couldn't work my way up from a GCS.  Instead, I lured the GCS into my farm with artifact furniture and a peacock, and then shut a bridge in front of and behind him.  I had to build the majority of the silk farm beforehand.

I was also concerned about a way to give path to my FB.  I worked out a very complicated method: the FB is on a staircase covered by a tightly closed hatch cover; his target is a vampire inside a civilians-trigger goblin-grinder, where either side leads to the staircase.  So the FB can't get out, the dwarf can't get, but the only thing preventing path at any given moment is a tightly closed hatch cover.

After all that design, it ended up unnecessary.  FBs will shoot web even without path.

You might notice a lot of infrastructure around the silk farm.  It's there for a reason.  My goal is to make a completely self-contained FB silk farm, run by a vampire, who drops the silk down an autodumping undump.  It's going to require an extra logic circuit to open and close the bridge that blocks line of sight to the FB on access.

I'll post more when I have the complete self-contained unit finished.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:54:49 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
Re: World's first (?) forgotten beast silk farm
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 04:54:52 am »

Very, very nice. +1 for dwarfiness
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

imperium3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 06:56:31 am »

After all that design, it ended up unnecessary.  FBs will shoot web even without path.

Interesting... Could this be a consequence of the interactions rewrite? If so, could it apply to other things... like dragonfire? Making dragon pillboxes much easier...

I think this calls for !!SCIENCE!!
Socks inspire the same sort of emotions in dwarfs that Helen of Troy inspired in the Achaean Greeks. Although it is said that Helen's face launched a thousand ships, socks have surely launched a million ultimately-fatal Store Owned Item tasks.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 07:11:16 am »

Interesting... Could this be a consequence of the interactions rewrite? If so, could it apply to other things... like dragonfire? Making dragon pillboxes much easier...
I think this calls for !!SCIENCE!!
This is true indeed now, put a dragon near fortifications in arena, surround it with obsidian and put something below, he'll spew fire like those Ramshtein guys on their concerts. Amusingly it won't hurt those on different levels, but looks really cool.
Edit: spiders spit webs too but their range of interaction is only 5 tiles away, unlike 15 for dragons.

Also, Nil, I congratulate you on completing not one but two scientific breakthroughs this and that with unconscious jaguar.
And I presume this is indeed first FB silk farm reported, mine for example is still in state of rearrangement from former barraks  ;)
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:15:34 am by Di »
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2012, 03:46:24 pm »

Lucky guy, I have yet to even find an FB in DF2012 :(

You know what to do with the silk.

The first must be socks.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2012, 07:54:09 pm »

So I've got it all running.

(I had a lot of trouble with it.  Good thing the FB doesn't need path, because my system, umm, didn't work.  Guess they don't need hands to open tightly closed hatch covers.  Anyway, managed to recover with only two casualties, and did a slight redesign since I didn't need path.)

The vampire has hauling and weaving enabled.  When he picks up a gather thread job, he travels along the south passage (because if he goes north, he'll lose path).  Along the way, he trips a pressure plate connected to a goblin-based memory cell (not pictured) that raises the bridge, blocking LOS to the FB.  He goes in, gets in silk, and returns to the farm via the north passage (because, again, he'll lose path if he tries to return via the south passage).  Along the way, he returns the goblin memory to its original configuration, and the bridge goes down, and the room refills with silk.

When he decides to haul, he goes to the stockpile square, but finds himself without path-- he drops his silk on a hatch cover, and travels underneath the structure (because hatch/plate combos control the direction of his movement along this path as well).  Along the way, he trips the hatch he dropped the silk on, and the silk drops onto a bridge underneath the hatch (not pictured).  Next time he goes to collect silk, the bridge will open, and the silk will drop out of the system, to be collected by dwarves.

The entire system is self-contained; there is never a time when any creature has path to the vampire, the goblin bait, or the forgotten beast, and all are protected by walls and building-destroyer-proof buildings.  I have a central emergency area, with anvil, pick, and axe, as well as levers to manually raise the bridge or allow bypass of the directional passages, just in case I need it.  The only point of weakness right now is the goblin memory cell, which I may sometime replace with a walled-in water-logic system.  The vampire, the goblin, and the forgotten beast are all immortal-- the only risk is that the vampire somehow goes bonkers, which, since he's utterly alone and friendless, I don't see happening.

TLDR: It will drop silk cloth until Armageddon, without any oversight necessary.

PS: Oh hey, my vampire is webimmune.  That's interesting.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 07:55:43 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile

How much is FB silk worth?

Is it worth more or less than GCS?  Inquiring minds want to know.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Big fat 17 smackeroos each cloth!  I'm a gonna be rich!

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile

Neat. I just finished capturing a non-flying webber, although I used a really messy method. I lured the FB onto some floor supported only by a support (used a locked door to halt it on the platform and retracting bridges to stop it from going into the fortress or back into the caverns), and then dropped the lot into an enclosure with fortifications surrounded by raising bridges. I was expecting rather fewer webs, so the layout is pretty poor. A long corridor would have worked much better.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Cool-- that hadn't occurred to me, but that would work with what I do too, which is

Code: [Select]

#####
 dAb_b
 #####

d is door, A is artifact furniture, b is raising bridge

It has that nice empty tile going on, and it wouldn't have to be connected to anything except bridges-- any building destroyer could be isolated on a support as easily as anywhere else.

Just snagged me another webber FB.  Not sure what I'll be doing with him-- probably save him for the circus.  Just got him sitting between two bridges right now.  I'd like to be able to filter out any webber clowns, maybe use the same trick on them, since their silk is supposedly anything-proof, and, if I'm not mistaken, worth a good deal of moolah to boot.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Big fat 17 smackeroos each cloth!  I'm a gonna be rich!

Isn't every cloth worth 17? Unless they changed it in the 2/14 update, Forgotten Beasts have a material value multiplier of 1.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile

I believe FB silk is comparatively worthless, as far as cloth goes.  However, the implications are deep enough to mandate production.

Also, all dwarves are web_immune while on a "fetch web" job.  The vampire is on the job, so he'll step over webs.  This is to prevent one dwarf from spending 3 weeks ruining a whole web heap by hauling that one in the rear first.  Instead, the web hauling labor invokes webimmune briefly.

Sadrice

• Bay Watcher
  • Yertle et al
    • View Profile

How long has that been true?  I have definitely had weavers spoil all the webs before.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile

I'd like to be able to filter out any webber clowns, maybe use the same trick on them, since their silk is supposedly anything-proof, and, if I'm not mistaken, worth a good deal of moolah to boot.

Yep, iirc clown webs are fire and magma proof at least, so you can create fancy diving suits for your nobles!
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

FB silk is magmaproof by the way. I [MANDATE] a set for each of your military dwarfs.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns
Pages: [1] 2 3