Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: World's first (?) FB silk farm-- Now completely self-contained and automated!  (Read 11426 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Isn't every cloth worth 17? Unless they changed it in the 2/14 update, Forgotten Beasts have a material value multiplier of 1.

Yeah, I was being silly, it's not worth any more than vanilla silk.  It's not about the money for me.

Also, all dwarves are web_immune while on a "fetch web" job.

Oh hey, that's cool, never realized that before.

FB silk is magmaproof by the way. I [MANDATE] a set for each of your military dwarfs.

You sure?  I took a quick look in my savefile (turned off compressed saves) and it just looked to me like they were using the basic silk template unmodified.  (Didn't bother to look at all FBs, so I suppose it could vary.)

EDIT: No webbers in my circus, I guess no clown silk for me.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 02:56:05 pm by Nil Eyeglazed »
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile

FB silk is magmaproof by the way. I [MANDATE] a set for each of your military dwarfs.

I'd like to be able to filter out any webber clowns, maybe use the same trick on them, since their silk is supposedly anything-proof, and, if I'm not mistaken, worth a good deal of moolah to boot.

Yep, iirc clown webs are fire and magma proof at least, so you can create fancy diving suits for your nobles!

Only clown silk is fireproof and magmaproof, because of:
Code: [Select]
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
 [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10040]
 [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
 [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
 [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]

at the end of their raws, after the web/silk material declarations. FBs don't have this, not even the FBs made of fire or snow.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

...We must capture a webbing clown.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

melomel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

That's beautiful.  I may be forced to attempt to duplicate.
I HAVE THREE HUNDRED THOUSAND CRAFT ITEMS. I WILL TRADE THEM ALL FOR CHEESE.
7+7

Rodge

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I fully support this plan.

Is there anyway any one can think of to split these clowns from the rest? Or do we have to catch all of them and just start looking one by one?
People keep saying that doing an Evil embark is like experiencing a Zombie Apocalypse but that's not accurate. In a zombie apocalypse the zombies overwhelm the inhabitants corrupting the land and trapping a band of survivors. In DF a group of people with a perfectly fine place to live, look at a corrupted hellhole overrun by the legions of the undead boot them out and say "No, we live here now."

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

I'd like to be able to filter out any webber clowns, maybe use the same trick on them, since their silk is supposedly anything-proof, and, if I'm not mistaken, worth a good deal of moolah to boot.

Yep, iirc clown webs are fire and magma proof at least, so you can create fancy diving suits for your nobles!

Only clown silk is fireproof and magmaproof, because of:
[SELECT_MATERIAL:ALL]
 [MAT_FIXED_TEMP:10040]
 [HEATDAM_POINT:NONE]
 [COLDDAM_POINT:NONE]
 [IGNITE_POINT:NONE]

at the end of their raws, after the web/silk material declarations. FBs don't have this, not even the FBs made of fire or snow.

Ahem.

[MAT_FIXED_TEMP:[b]10040[/b]]

Won't that burn the weavers who gather and weave the cloth, the loom the cloth is gathered and woven in, the clothier shaping the cloth, AND anyone wearing the cloth?
Excellent export to the elves. Make sure you have a fireproof depot.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Considering that most creatures are    [HOMEOTHERM:10070], and this web is actually colder than the natural body temperature of Dwarfs, Elfs and dogs, if they got burned by Clown web they should technically vaporize by merely being alive. Dwarf units are not in Celsius ^-^

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile

...Oh, my bad. My memory was that U->F was subtracting 9,000. That would put the webs at 1,040 F and creatures at 1,070 F. Both of which are much, MUCH higher than would be safe.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I fully support this plan.

Is there anyway any one can think of to split these clowns from the rest? Or do we have to catch all of them and just start looking one by one?

My plan was to make a cage trap/webbing room and route the clowns through there.  Any webber clowns would be webimmune, so wouldn't get caught in the traps-- eventually I would just route the webber clowns into a silk farm room.  Probably all of the webber clowns, in fact, since it would be kind of a pain, and also unnecessary, to separate them out.

But, alas, no webbers down there for me, so after the first wave went through the webbed traps, I just spiked the rest, rather than rerouting them back through repeatedly.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Spiderking50

• Bay Watcher
  • Lumberjack of Hearts
    • View Profile
    • Pik-Pik Fortress: A Pikmin Mod

I have a webbing clown invading my fortress as a goblin master. At first i had no clue what this thing was, but now that i've been informed that Master = demon clown, i want to catch it and use if for a silk farm. Would your design still work for that? There is a discussion at: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104492.0 (If that link doesn't work then the topic name is "Master...?")
Currently on vacation. I have internet, but will update sporadically due to vacation.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I'm not totally sure.  Once sieges are broken, creatures stop behaving the same way-- siegers path to map edge, rather than into your fortress, and don't appear to use ranged attacks in the same way.  But your drawing in that thread looks like a good design for a silk farm, if you can get the webber into it.

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

There's an easier way, unless something major has changed. Even if you have trap_avoid, you still fall into cage traps if you're unconscious. Cave-in dust makes you go unconscious. So just arrange for a small cave-in to happen just as the target webber walks over a cage trap and you'll have it in a cage.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For one, I don't think that's easier than luring the target into the destination square.  For another, if I'm not mistaken, neither FBs nor clowns can be knocked unconscious.
Pages: 1 [2] 3