Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Vampire Rework?

Make all vampiric effects only activate once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 26 (29.5%)
Make any special abilities only activate once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 25 (28.4%)
Make any physical changes only take place once the new vampire has sucked blood.
- 7 (8%)
Make the transformation skill only available after sucking blood.
- 11 (12.5%)
Keep everything the same.
- 19 (21.6%)

Total Members Voted: 86

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25

Author Topic: <<Fear The Night!>> v1.4.1 [For 34.11]  (Read 122180 times)

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
<<Fear The Night!>> v1.4.1 [For 34.11]
« on: March 05, 2012, 08:41:38 pm »

There are still a few little tweaks and bugs being worked on, so treat this as more of a beta-type-thing

VERSION 1.4!
Version 1.4 is done at last.

This mod contains new vampires, werebeasts and necromancers for making your world more "fun"

Playable in both fortress and adventure mode, and tested for both as well!

DOWNLOAD LINK: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5735

----------------------------------DESCRIPTION

Fear The Night is a total revamp mod for most of the night creatures of dwarf fortress. It replaces the vanilla vampires and werebeasts with more powerful and interesting variants that have unique abilities. It also replaces vanilla necromancers with up to 4 types of sorcerer, each distinct from the others. Mummies have also been redone, the new disturbed dead are much less unfair (the vanilla ones cursed you forever with your skills having a 20% failure rate!) and much more interesting than a sack of bones and his zombie companions. Night Trolls (Night Creatures which live in caves and often abduct villagers) have also been customized, there are 9 new types, 2 of which drop rare materials which can be used to enhance weapons. Husk players can also be transformed into several new husk types, some of which are more useful than others. Adventurers now have a large number of reactions available to them for creation of useful items and decorations. All in all, this comes together to create a much different adventure mode experience than vanilla, and also can make fortress mode more fun as well.

----------------------------------FEATURES

New Vampires - Ways to become Vampire
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

New Werebeasts - Ways to become werebeast

New Necromancer types - How to become necromancer

New Disturbed Dead

New Night Trolls

New Megabeasts and Semimegabeasts

BUFFS

HOW TO BECOME <X>, THE GUIDE

----------------------------------INSTRUCTIONS

EASY INSTALL (Just install FTN)

MANUAL INSTALL (Do this if you're installing FTN with other mods)

----------------------------------OTHER INFO
KNOWN BUGS (There are only 2):

NOT BUGS:
« Last Edit: July 09, 2014, 07:23:25 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103747.0

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
Re: <<Better Vampires 0.6>> *New Topic and Fixed Werebeasts, also more*
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2012, 08:44:04 pm »

Great! Downloading now.
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2012, 09:52:55 pm »

VERSION 0.6!
Did the vanilla vampires disappoint you? Did you wish they could rip your guts out and throw them at you so hard it caves your skull in? Did you want them to have special powers, like super speed and the ability to transform? WELL THEN, THIS MIGHT JUST BE FOR YOU! There are now 4 types of vampire, and as an added bonus, 3 types of werebeast, all of whom can transform at will! Please post feedback/questions/suggestions below, but read the FAQ first, it may answer your question before you even ask it.
Yes the vampire feature was disappointing and overall not much depth to them.  They're predictable within the vanilla version of the game.

Q: Why can the Lesser Vampires turn into wolves, cougars and rattlesnakes?
A: Ye Olde legends and stuff said that vampires could take many forms, including wolves and snakes. Cougars I just threw in because they're big and mean.
They could transform into other creatures of the night... such as wolves and snakes.  I'm not sure if cougars would count, but panthers would count.  Vampires reference wolves as their children of the night.

Q: There are too many vampires in the world now, you ruined it!
A: Not really, if it bugs you that much, try limiting the population more.
Vampires should be rare which then makes them more mysterious and challenging since little knowledge of them exists. In the current vanilla game they are way too common and if sooo many existed they would be controlling most of the realms created to the point where elves, dwarves and humans would be rare since most would have been turned into vampires by a master vampire for protection and power.  The vampires would even be fighting each other for control over territory in the vanilla version of dwarf fortress.

Q: Can I have more than 1 vampire curse at once? Can I be both a vampire and a werewolf?
A: Assuming I did this right, no. So be bloody well careful what you drink. If you want to be a master vampire, don't drink the blood of the first lesser vampire you find. If you get bit by a werewolf, say bye-bye to any potential vampiric powers you might have wanted. Not that being a werewolf is bad, far from it.
I have never read or seen anything to show a vampire would become a werewolf if bitten by a werewolf.  Vampires should be immune to werewolf bites because they are undead... the same as a zombie or wight. 

Q: Werescorpions. WERESCORPIONS? Where in the HELL did you get that idea?
A: It was suggested to me in the first topic, why, do they freak you out?
The term {were}{creature} is commonly based off of warm blooded animals. While words such as wereghost or weresnail or werezombie or werescorpion or werewhale or wereouterspacealien can be written it just doesn't feel acceptable.

=====

This is a very creative mod... if it wasn't so extremely different I would probably include it for my games.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 09:54:46 pm by NTJedi »

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2012, 09:57:16 pm »

VERSION 0.6!
Did the vanilla vampires disappoint you? Did you wish they could rip your guts out and throw them at you so hard it caves your skull in? Did you want them to have special powers, like super speed and the ability to transform? WELL THEN, THIS MIGHT JUST BE FOR YOU! There are now 4 types of vampire, and as an added bonus, 3 types of werebeast, all of whom can transform at will! Please post feedback/questions/suggestions below, but read the FAQ first, it may answer your question before you even ask it.
Yes the vampire feature was disappointing and overall not much depth to them.  They're predictable within the vanilla version of the game.

Q: Why can the Lesser Vampires turn into wolves, cougars and rattlesnakes?
A: Ye Olde legends and stuff said that vampires could take many forms, including wolves and snakes. Cougars I just threw in because they're big and mean. [/quotes]
 They could transform into other creatures of the night... such as wolves and snakes.  I'm not sure if cougars would count, but panthers would count.  Vampires reference wolves as their children of the night.

Q: There are too many vampires in the world now, you ruined it!
A: Not really, if it bugs you that much, try limiting the population more.
Vampires should be rare which then makes them more mysterious and challenging since little knowledge of them exists. In the current vanilla game they are way too common and if sooo many existed they would be controlling most of the realms created to the point where elves, dwarves and humans would be rare since most would have been turned into vampires by a master vampire for protection and power.  The vampires would even be fighting each other for control over territory in the vanilla version of dwarf fortress.

Q: Can I have more than 1 vampire curse at once? Can I be both a vampire and a werewolf?
A: Assuming I did this right, no. So be bloody well careful what you drink. If you want to be a master vampire, don't drink the blood of the first lesser vampire you find. If you get bit by a werewolf, say bye-bye to any potential vampiric powers you might have wanted. Not that being a werewolf is bad, far from it.
I have never read or seen anything to show a vampire would become a werewolf if bitten by a werewolf.  Vampires should be immune to werewolf bites because they are undead... the same as a zombie or wight. 

Q: Werescorpions. WERESCORPIONS? Where in the HELL did you get that idea?
A: It was suggested to me in the first topic, why, do they freak you out?
The term {were}{creature} is commonly based off of warm blooded animals. While words such as wereghost or weresnail or werezombie or werescorpion or werewhale or wereouterspacealien can be written it just doesn't feel acceptable.

=====

This is a very creative mod... if it wasn't so extremely different I would probably include it for my games.
Are panthers in DF? I did want to use them, but I couldn't find them. The number of vampires is indeed a bit extreme, but it's really not under my control. They also do fight each other for power quite often in legends. Werescorpions were going to be a bit of a joke, but they turned out to be quite a formidable opponent, so I put them in.

Also, thanks. Maybe try it out on its own and see how you like it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2012, 10:19:06 pm by Xangi »
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:01:16 am »

Bumping for input. New version is basically done, I made different versions of the werebeasts and 3 more (weaker) types of vampire to make it easier for weaker adventurers to get a break. So, would you guys rather me make more werebeasts and vampires, or work on the necromancers? I really am at a loss for necro ideas besides a gas attack, and different types of necro might be even harder to make, and not as satisfying as perhaps having a grandmaster vampire megabeast that goes around the world converting others. But if people want necromancers, I'll work on those.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

Bump for new version, have fun guys, those White Werewolves are hardcore.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

Bumping again for hotfix, I promise this time I tested it damn well, and you can now see what werebeasts your world has, just go into legends and see what the gods threw at the poor mortals. Also, GLOWING EYES!
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Courtesy Arloban

• Bay Watcher
  • This isn't a fortress... ...It's also not a map.
    • View Profile

If HUNTS_VERMIN becomes an addable tag then have you thought about making Renfeilds?
Maybe that the dwarves never died and everyone is just shunning them.
"Wait, what are you doing?  I don't want to go in there!  No, I'm still alive, you can't do this to me!  Is Anybody listening?  Hello... Can someone let me out?  Help me!  Is anyone there?  I'm running out of air!"

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

Nice looking indeed. This simply improves vanilla DF. I wonder how often a master vampire would show up in a fortress though. And if you can manage to make werebeast transformations longer. The way it is they show up in fortress mode, and before they can do much, tranform back into human form and flee. This is because fortress mode time is 72 times faster then adventure mode.

They would be more fun if they really could put up a fight instead of just fleeing after 30 seconds ^^
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

If HUNTS_VERMIN becomes an addable tag then have you thought about making Renfeilds?
Not sure what that is, but I might be able to manage something, can you provide more details?
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

Nice looking indeed. This simply improves vanilla DF. I wonder how often a master vampire would show up in a fortress though. And if you can manage to make werebeast transformations longer. The way it is they show up in fortress mode, and before they can do much, tranform back into human form and flee. This is because fortress mode time is 72 times faster then adventure mode.

They would be more fun if they really could put up a fight instead of just fleeing after 30 seconds ^^
Thanks for the complement, I appreciate it.

So what are the interaction time units measured in, adventure or fortress units? Does it switch maybe? Currently the wounded transformation lasts 600 units, and has a cooldown of 2000 units. I could lengthen the time they stay in beast form, Frankly it doesn't matter to me as long as the cooldown is longer.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Wow, these are nice! Here is a little idea that I whipped up, considering it looks like flying creatures are still safe from the vampiric threat.

Carron Birds
|
L Crows (Weak to Bismuth, quite small but with improved dodging. Human form is weakish but still better than a normal human.)
|
L Vulture ( Allergic to Bismuth, in both forms, and is far bigger than the crow. Improved attacking, its human form is stronger to boot, but it is rather slow and it's actual bite is weaker than it's size suggest it would.)

Big Reptiles

|
L Moniter Lizerd ( Nice natural armor, rather fast for it's size. Weak to Iron (preferably gold, but that's not realy a weapon-grade metal)  but only in human form. Still not much bigger than a regular human, however.)
l
L Alligator/Crocadlile ( Godly bite, with a hide that is increadbly strong. Human form gets swiming and a better constitution, but suffers the same Iron weakness as its animal form. Said form is rather slow.)
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

Flying creatures are far from safe from master vampires, though I see what you're saying. The problem is, if I increase the amount of werecurses, I also need to increase the number of vampire curses as well to keep the populations roughly equal. I'm actually thinking of making a vampire megabeast type thing to make up for their comparative weakness versus werebears.

Also, the other issue with more vamp types is that certain syndrome tags are a bit broken in adventurer mode. They come back after each rest\fast travel, which is annoying and unfair. It also limits what abilities I can give vampires.

Thanks for the compliments and ideas though, if I get a chance, I'll try to use them.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Primal vampires: When regular master vamps arnt cutting it in world gen.  :D

Could be like a warhammer Vargulfs: Large, primal vampires who have degenerated into a sort of blood-hunger. Large, increadably fast, and with a brutal set of claws and teeth. Is usualy transformed in the shape of a bat-humanoid thingi. Rages, regenerates like crazy, and it has bat wings. So it can fly. This is why you fear the night folks.

Xangi

• Bay Watcher
  • ɛkzændʒiː
    • View Profile

Primal vampires: When regular master vamps arnt cutting it in world gen.  :D

Could be like a warhammer Vargulfs: Large, primal vampires who have degenerated into a sort of blood-hunger. Large, increadably fast, and with a brutal set of claws and teeth. Is usualy transformed in the shape of a bat-humanoid thingi. Rages, regenerates like crazy, and it has bat wings. So it can fly. This is why you fear the night folks.
Exactlyy what I was thinking, though I was going to call them ancient vampires.
A spooky ghost.

Previous mod (34.11):
<<Fear The Night!>>
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 25