Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8

Author Topic: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.05 Released  (Read 71848 times)

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
Re: Dwarf Fortress 0.34.05 Released
« Reply #45 on: March 08, 2012, 01:11:50 am »

Witnesses will still report whatever they saw.  The bug fix only refers to vampires making up stories.  Accusing adults instead of children and especially babies is more credible.

That breaks down a little now that we know that any child accused of being a vampire is guilty, but maybe there's no good way to handle that.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Watsst

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 08, 2012, 02:30:40 am »

I thought you couldnt get kid vampire to migrate in, but you could make them from wells of unlife and the like? In which case they are rare. Also most kids end up born in your fortress, so they definitely arent vamps. The chance of a vampire pinning a crime on a child and the player believing them is something like 1/100, so its sensible for vamps to pin it on adults.

Now what we really need is for a 'witness' to pin crimes on people they dont like or have a grudge against. A vampire would blend in even better with that happening

Alastar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 08, 2012, 04:44:26 am »

Just think about that. Child Vampires, cursed to never age. You should not kill them. You should separate them from the rest, but let them still watch and see people every day. Then everyone they ever knew grows old and dies around them, while they remain confined. Trapped as a child, in a small, weak body that never changes. Forever.

The only thing bad about child bodies is that most fun things are adult-sized. I'd gladly give up raw strength for a better strength-to-weight ratio and the ability to tumble around without hurting myself.

Rumrusher

• Bay Watcher
  • current project : searching...
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2012, 06:08:39 am »

I thought you couldnt get kid vampire to migrate in, but you could make them from wells of unlife and the like? In which case they are rare. Also most kids end up born in your fortress, so they definitely arent vamps. The chance of a vampire pinning a crime on a child and the player believing them is something like 1/100, so its sensible for vamps to pin it on adults.

Now what we really need is for a 'witness' to pin crimes on people they dont like or have a grudge against. A vampire would blend in even better with that happening
Well there are children in Adventure mode and in world gen that could been cursed with vampirism. though I'm more talking about how vampires can't place the blame of a murder on a child when fully well any one can murder any one. Though I didn't read anything about animals being removed from the blame game, just babies and children.
Which in Adventure mode are silent killers and will murder you with their forks so having them removed from being pin for a crime is highly unbelievable.
I thought I would I had never hear my daughter's escapades from some boy...
DAMN YOU RUMRUSHER!!!!!!!!
"body swapping and YOU!"
Adventure in baby making!Adv Homes

ZZmage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:03 am »

small question anyone here messed with spreading vampirism to children in the home civ then starting a fort? could be !fun!
DK advisor quote was the message thingy of DF with: "Uric Glodson does a wonderful impression of the baron, he can even do the nose. He has been sentenced to 40 hammerstrikes for his insolence."

Machiavelli

• Bay Watcher
  • 強い白い
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 09, 2012, 04:56:01 am »

Been waiting awhile to start another world up due to forthcoming awesomeness.  I just wanted to verify this version is stable and most importantly compatible with forseeable updates; is it?
NKAWTG

TomiTapio

• Bay Watcher
  • OldGenesis since 2012
    • View Profile
    • My Flickr animal photos
« Reply #51 on: March 09, 2012, 08:29:35 am »

Been waiting awhile to start another world up due to forthcoming awesomeness.  I just wanted to verify this version is stable and most importantly compatible with forseeable updates; is it?
It seems rather stable to me. All hail Toady!
==OldGenesis mod== by Deon & TomiTapio. Five wood classes, four leather classes. Nine enemy civs. So much fine-tuning.
47.05e release: http://dffd.bay12games.com/who.php?id=1538
OldGenesis screenshots: https://twitter.com/hashtag/OldGenesis?src=hashtag_click&f=image
My Finnish language file: http://dffd.bay12games.com/file.php?id=14884

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL:OFFTOPIC:5][NOTHOUGHT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 09, 2012, 03:46:49 pm »

So is saves from 34.04 compatible with this version?

Also:  (*) made various animals non-threatening (new saves only -- BENIGN tag can be added to old save raws, see file_changes.txt)

Does this refer to those sponges?

Just think about that. Child Vampires, cursed to never age. You should not kill them. You should separate them from the rest, but let them still watch and see people every day. Then everyone they ever knew grows old and dies around them, while they remain confined. Trapped as a child, in a small, weak body that never changes. Forever.

Thats one of the main issues in interview with a vampire film from 90s. Though you are missing the whole sexual theme as well, not ever being looked upon as an adult can be pretty devestating after a while.
...wonderful memories of the creeping sense of dread...

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 07:07:44 pm »

0.34.02 through 0.34.05 are all save-compatible.  Only 0.34.01 (and of course anything before) is not.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2012, 07:19:10 am »

0.34.02 through 0.34.05 are all save-compatible.  Only 0.34.01 (and of course anything before) is not.

Good.

Does anyone know about the sponges then?

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2012, 09:06:16 am »

file changes.txt says
Code: [Select]
                added benign to
                        BIRD_FALCON_PEREGRINE,BIRD_CROW,BIRD_RAVEN,BIRD_OWL_SNOWY,
                        SPARROW,BIRD_OWL_BARN,BIRD_PARAKEET,BIRD_PARROT_GREY,
                        BIRD_LORIKEET,BIRD_WREN,BIRD_OSPREY,GIANT_COCKATIEL,
                        BIRD_MAGPIE,GIANT_KESTREL,BIRD_EAGLE,GIANT_HORNBILL,
                        BIRD_BUSHTIT,MOTH,GRASSHOPPER,THRIPS,SLUG,SNAIL,
                        DESERT TORTOISE,GIANT TORTOISE,SPONGE,HORSESHOE_CRAB,
                        POND_TURTLE,HAMSTER,HEDGEHOG,SQUIRREL_FLYING,
                        GREEN_TREE_FROG,CAPUCHIN,SLOTH,SPIDER_MONKEY,AYE-AYE,
                        LION_TAMARIN

So yeah, it looks like that includes SPONGE.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 10, 2012, 03:35:36 pm »

file changes.txt says
Code: [Select]
                added benign to
                        BIRD_FALCON_PEREGRINE,BIRD_CROW,BIRD_RAVEN,BIRD_OWL_SNOWY,
                        SPARROW,BIRD_OWL_BARN,BIRD_PARAKEET,BIRD_PARROT_GREY,
                        BIRD_LORIKEET,BIRD_WREN,BIRD_OSPREY,GIANT_COCKATIEL,
                        BIRD_MAGPIE,GIANT_KESTREL,BIRD_EAGLE,GIANT_HORNBILL,
                        BIRD_BUSHTIT,MOTH,GRASSHOPPER,THRIPS,SLUG,SNAIL,
                        DESERT TORTOISE,GIANT TORTOISE,SPONGE,HORSESHOE_CRAB,
                        POND_TURTLE,HAMSTER,HEDGEHOG,SQUIRREL_FLYING,
                        GREEN_TREE_FROG,CAPUCHIN,SLOTH,SPIDER_MONKEY,AYE-AYE,
                        LION_TAMARIN

So yeah, it looks like that includes SPONGE.

Thanks.

Also noticed that hamsters and grasshoppers were not benign according to that, wouldve been awesome to get sort of a grasshopper swarm or hamster swarm which were hostile. Infact swarms of grasshoppers is a real thing isnt it?

Findulidas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2012, 07:02:10 am »

Been embarking on several terrifying zones and I have to say the new weather is awesome, elf blood rain and filthy filth amongst others. Havent seen a mist yet though, where can I find mists? Close to the sea, in the deserts or in the mountains? Is it random?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2012, 02:48:09 pm »

Been embarking on several terrifying zones and I have to say the new weather is awesome, elf blood rain and filthy filth amongst others. Havent seen a mist yet though, where can I find mists? Close to the sea, in the deserts or in the mountains? Is it random?

I think they're random, got a husk mist on a terrifying tundra.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Kaos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2012, 06:23:31 pm »

is there any way to update a save from 34.01? I have a nice fort going on and I reaaaally don't want to lose it...  :'(
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 8