Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: A Student of "Berevement Every After"  (Read 1892 times)

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
A Student of "Berevement Every After"
« on: March 06, 2012, 12:07:37 pm »

I was a studious young man of the Elevated Nations. Having spent much of my life studying- and, at the insistence of the town militia, practicing marksmanship- I had little physical strength instead devoting my time to reading.

One day I discovered that a distant library held in it a secret knowledge that could prove very useful. The fortress Groovepattern was home to our Lawbringer and he had collected a number of books. Most where merely histories, poems, and other such nonsense. But one book- Bereavement Ever After- was said to contain powerful secrets.

I took up my crossbow and started venturing west. To avoid bandits, I kept close to towns... but I shortly ran out of food. I saw a flock of ravens and managed to shoot one down; but the poor beast was too scrawny to be really edible.

I eventually made it to the distant fortress of Groovepattern and perused the library there. After searching throughout the fortress, I discovered... the book.

I studied Bereavement Ever After for some time. At first it seemed merely a treatises on funeral behaviors with some odd digressions. However, on a deeper examination I noticed some things that the book specifically suggested never be done- certain rituals that are banned in far southern nations, phrases and gestures that are not to be done at funerals lest they bring bad luck.

Reflecting on these, the secrets became obvious. And with that, I took the book and left. I attempted one of the many very precisely banned practices in the book so as to ensure I had the powers it details. My hunger faded away. Sleep and dreams departed.

And I knew the simplicity of bringing animation to that which had it once before.

I took the dead raven from the old cloth I had wrapped it in and placed it on a stone. It was quite dead; the head and skull smashed by a crossbow bolt. However, by merely reinvisioning this as the right and proper form for a raven to take, and moving my hands in the forbidden ritual gestures of the book, death fled from the bird and new animation came to be within it.

The flat-headed blackbird stirred and shortly afterwards, fluttered away.

The first man I murdered was a clothier in some random shop in a nearby town. I simply stabbed him with a dagger and shot him with a crossbow when he still resisted. When he died, I invited him to join me. Soon this corpse helped me kill another. And those two, a third.

Night was falling, but we marched tirelessly through the village outskirts. we encountered some turkeys which were not very threatening but I think were worthwhile acquisitions.

Soon it was deep night. This was when we stumbled across a group of water buffalo- some witless peasant had set them loose and wandering the streets. They were panicked by the small gang of undead men and animals, and attacked. One bulled through my defenders and very nearly gored me! As it was, I learned then that though powerful, the secrets of necromancy do not bring immunity to physical harm. The beast had ripped off my left hand above the wrist. I immediately animated it- no sense in wasting a perfectly useful unit of flesh- but I had lost my one pretense at martial arts.

The water buffalo made powerful additions to my group. Now we stormed homes, turning entire families and clans to my rapidly growing horde.

By morning, I was master of well over a hundred undead servants. When I attacked a city market with this group, I soon had three hundred.

Leaving some of them to pester that city, I returned to the wilds between the towns to prepare an even greater horde. Soon the entire nation would be crushed beneath my boot.

[PS does anyone know how to filter combat responses? I only want to see combat details for fights that happen within one or two squares of me. Every time I move in most cities, I get five pages of zombie ducks latching on firmly to merchants...]
« Last Edit: March 06, 2012, 12:10:29 pm by PTTG?? »
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Sting_Auer

• Bay Watcher
  • [LIKES_WAR_DOG_HORDES]
    • View Profile
Re: A Student of "Berevement Every After"
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 01:14:39 pm »

This is awesome.

You should totally keep expanding your army.
Thank you everyone for the help! I've since flooded the fortress I was working on and now have a new one going up.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 04:00:22 pm »

...lest they bring bad luck.

A slight understatement ;p

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 04:44:04 pm »

[PS does anyone know how to filter combat responses? I only want to see combat details for fights that happen within one or two squares of me. Every time I move in most cities, I get five pages of zombie ducks latching on firmly to merchants...]

There isn't a way (as far as I know) to do that, However, in d-init.txt, there is an options related to those messages. You might want to play with them; can't check them atm, at work.
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:07:59 pm »

Yeah, the dinit has a filter, you can turn them all off, but it's mostly how many it shows at once.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:49:53 pm »

Undead apparently don't like to swim. I tried to leave a town by swimming through a river and only about 5% of my 300-strong horde decided to cross with me. I'll have to back and pick them up... but I'm not entirely sure what happens to undead companions when they get unloaded.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

Die Nacht

• Bay Watcher
  • [IMMUNE_TO_SOCIAL_LIFE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 07:32:00 pm »

Undead apparently don't like to swim. I tried to leave a town by swimming through a river and only about 5% of my 300-strong horde decided to cross with me. I'll have to back and pick them up... but I'm not entirely sure what happens to undead companions when they get unloaded.

I actually thought of that. I said to my self, after reading your story, "and then came a river". lol
'rtg593' Bemongibruk, forumite cancels megaproject: interrupted by 0.34.01.

Shinziril

• Bay Watcher
  • !!SCIENCE!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 07:41:36 pm »

Worse is a Giant Sponge.  At least, if you're actually planning on keeping your horde.  I needed to get rid of excess zombies once and letting them mindlessly zerg the sponge worked nicely, but you won't be getting any back. 
Quote from: lolghurt
Quote from: Urist McTaverish
why is Dwarven science always on fire?
Because normal science is boring

Keldane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:25:32 pm »

In worlds where I played a necromancer, embarking anywhere my necromancer had traveled and left undead behind before retiring resulted in getting ambushed by the dead. It was actually kind of funny.
WARNING:Side effects may include fatal badgerstorm and sudden appreciation for nobles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 07:59:17 pm »

In worlds where I played a necromancer, embarking anywhere my necromancer had traveled and left undead behind before retiring resulted in getting ambushed by the dead. It was actually kind of funny.

The world tracks where undead are left now?

TheLinguist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2012, 08:11:55 pm »

The world tracks where undead are left now?

Well, given that the world tracks all of your adventurer's former corpses, it wouldn't surprise me too much if it keeps track of at least some locations with undead.

Thecard

• Bay Watcher
  • Back in With the Old!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:05 pm »

It tracks most monsters, if not all that are have been encountered before, but they won't move that much.

I think the slaughter part is what made them angry.
OOC: Dachshundofdoom: This is how the world ends, not with a bang but with goddamn VUVUZELAS.
Those hookers aren't getting out any time soon, no matter how many fancy gadgets they have :v