Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5

Author Topic: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0  (Read 10648 times)

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0
« on: March 06, 2012, 05:52:43 pm »

Slim or none?

What is DF's future?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 06:07:20 pm »

Maybe your grandchildren will play it :D

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 06:08:39 pm »

It's Toady's life work. Which means the only way we don't see it is his premature death. Which isn't likely, since he's in pretty good shape. People complain about the computing power required; but most of these people don't own modern processors.

Personally, I think we'll see it in about 15 years. Armok only knows what technology we'll have for gaming then, but whatever it is, I'll be using it to play DF. I rather enjoy vanilla ASCII DF in 1080p, and use a gamepad for normal gameplay when I'm not building anything or doing anything complex.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2012, 06:10:08 pm »

Slim or none?

About as likely as this question never being asked again.

So, none.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2012, 06:15:06 pm »

Even if something happens to Toady, he will come back as a ghost, release the source code and let the community do it. Then we will drink booze in his honor until we get wasted.

Believe me, Dwarf Fortress will never die with a community like this.

Biopass

• Bay Watcher
  • Human
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2012, 06:20:51 pm »

Even if something happens to Toady, he will come back as a ghost, release the source code and let the community do it. Then we will drink booze in his honor until we get wasted.

Believe me, Dwarf Fortress will never die with a community like this.
Only if there was absolutely no foul play. It's disgusting to think he'd have to put provisions like that into place, but apparently it is in his will that the source code will be released on his death unless there was foul play. In which case, rights go to Zach, iirc.
500 fps vanilla 4x4 embark. intel master race.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2012, 06:28:06 pm »

When we talk about Toady like that, he sounds like a hacker who has data about corrupt corporations and governments.

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2012, 06:32:02 pm »

Given how playable the game is (IMO) in its current form, maybe the expectation of a "DF v1.0" is silly.  I'm guessing Toady never expects nor wants DF to get too big (fanbase-wise).  It seems like a shame to have something this ambitious and entertaining chug along on donations and a skeleton crew while giants like EA crap out mainstream-friendly junk like great bloated beasts with chronic diarrhea.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 06, 2012, 06:34:19 pm »

Given how playable the game is (IMO) in its current form, maybe the expectation of a "DF v1.0" is silly.  I'm guessing Toady never expects nor wants DF to get too big (fanbase-wise).
That must be reason of the learning curve. Only the chosen ones can play this game :o

TychoTheDwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 06, 2012, 06:39:20 pm »

That must be reason of the learning curve. Only the chosen ones can play this game :o

Chosen ones = people with reasonable attention spans and appreciation for something besides OOHSHINYGRAFIX and LOL SO MANY GUNS in a game?

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2012, 06:45:46 pm »

Chosen ones = people with reasonable attention spans and appreciation for something besides OOHSHINYGRAFIX and LOL SO MANY GUNS in a game?

Exactly!

dizzyelk

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes kittens for their delicious roasts.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 06, 2012, 06:57:51 pm »

Given how playable the game is (IMO) in its current form, maybe the expectation of a "DF v1.0" is silly.  I'm guessing Toady never expects nor wants DF to get too big (fanbase-wise).  It seems like a shame to have something this ambitious and entertaining chug along on donations and a skeleton crew while giants like EA crap out mainstream-friendly junk like great bloated beasts with chronic diarrhea.
You just made me laugh hard enough to fall out of my chair. That is the perfect description of the modern gaming scene.
Dwarf Fortress - Bringing out the evil in people since 2006.
Somehow, that fills me more with dread than anticipation.  It's like being told that someone's exhuming your favorite grandparent and they're going to try to make her into a cyborg stripper.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2012, 12:53:30 am »

I think it's very unlikely we'll ever see a DF 1.0, I'm sure eventually DF will have enough of the original design goals in it to qualify as completed, but Toady will continue adding new stuff and bug fixes and it wouldn't surprise me if there was never a version 1.0 The first release will probably require an immediate bug patch and we'll actually get a 1.01, or hell even a 1.1 if toady randomly pulls some kinda new feature out that wasn't finished in time for release but which just happens to be finished while he's working on the .01 patch.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Hiiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2012, 01:02:20 am »

You can pretend 0.34.05 equals to 1.0.

Problem solved.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2012, 01:06:58 am »

Personally i see good old 40D as being 1.0 because it was relatively stable and i got lots of good gaming out of it, all these new versions are just bonuses, i see 2010 as being 1.1 and 2012 as being 1.2, mostly since in my personal opinion 2010's most significant improvement was Health care and the military, and 2012 is the Necromancers ( joy =D ).
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5