Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5

Author Topic: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0  (Read 10646 times)

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
Re: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2012, 01:10:32 am »

I'm actually waiting for Dwarf Fortress v3.0, where we'll be able to watch the stupid dwarf tricks that happen in our fortresses in animated 3D.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2012, 01:16:25 am »

That would be stonesence 3.0 :P
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Kilroy the Grand

• Bay Watcher
  • I only want to give you a small kiss
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2012, 01:26:03 am »

That must be reason of the learning curve. Only the chosen ones can play this game :o

Chosen ones = people with reasonable attention spans and appreciation for something besides OOHSHINYGRAFIX and LOL SO MANY GUNS in a game?

Exactly!

I think blanket statements like that are why most people that play the game never return. You don't have to be snobbish and elitist about it.
*pew* *blam* "Aughgghggurglegurgle..." *slither* *slither* *pit* *pat* *tap* *click-click* *BOOM* "Aiiieeegurgle gurgle..."
X-com meets Dwarf Fortress

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 07, 2012, 02:35:02 am »

That must be reason of the learning curve. Only the chosen ones can play this game :o

Chosen ones = people with reasonable attention spans and appreciation for something besides OOHSHINYGRAFIX and LOL SO MANY GUNS in a game?
Not necessarily. I'm not particularly known for my atteooh a sock!

Also I read somewhere tht the game hits 1.0 once it has 1.0 core mechanics implemented or something.

Naryar

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:VERMIN][LIKES_FIGHTING]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 07, 2012, 03:04:40 am »

Likely, maybe in twenty years or something.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 07, 2012, 05:43:05 am »

Given how playable the game is (IMO) in its current form, maybe the expectation of a "DF v1.0" is silly.  I'm guessing Toady never expects nor wants DF to get too big (fanbase-wise).  It seems like a shame to have something this ambitious and entertaining chug along on donations and a skeleton crew while giants like EA crap out mainstream-friendly junk like great bloated beasts with chronic diarrhea.
There's gonna be a DF 1.0, it's scheduled and everything. Whether that will be the end of it, we don't really know. Maybe DF1.1 comes after that, and new versions come forever until Toady finally ascends and the game becomes open source. Or maybe he opens the source shortly after 1.0 and starts work on something entirely new and different. No real way of knowing.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2012, 06:00:31 pm »

Or maybe he opens the source shortly after 1.0 and starts work on something entirely new and different.

Likely a cinematic cover-based FPS.
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 07, 2012, 06:03:07 pm »

I think blanket statements like that are why most people that play the game never return. You don't have to be snobbish and elitist about it.

Yeah, I hear what you are saying but when I look at modern gaming I can't stop myself from making a statement like that. Especially FPS games. Looking down the gun's sights and shooting bad guys while walking around in a level design which looks like a corridor with a bird's eye view gets old after a while. There are good FPS games for sure, like Deus Ex.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 06:07:17 pm by Leatra »

Nihilist

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 07, 2012, 06:24:19 pm »

Its really not a snobbish or elitist thing, DF requires patience. If you don't have any, or act like your lack a patience entitles you to special treatment then you get told off.

drvoke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2012, 07:47:17 pm »

Why does anyone here give a shit if they come off as snobby or elitist?  Really, the only person who SHOULD (or has a right to) care is Toady, and he hasn't done a damn thing to make the game more accessible (in fact, it's more intricate and complex than ever) to the masses, and according to the B12 Report, he just had a bumper month, raking in over $12k in donations.  That's as much as a lot of people make in a year from their work-a-day jobs they hate.

I'm tired of it.  It's not elitist to like the game just as it is, and even if it is elitist.. Deal With It.  8)
Ambassador magma patiently awaits his meeting with your nobles.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »

Invoke game.win's law:
  • The longer a game's development continues, the likelihood of its completion reaches 1.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2012, 08:41:06 pm »

Why does anyone here give a shit if they come off as snobby or elitist?  Really, the only person who SHOULD (or has a right to) care is Toady

Welp he does care because elitism alienates new players, causes the community to grow stale and inbred, and reduces the donation pool.  So please try to mend your ways.

Berserkenstein

• Bay Watcher
  • A giant humanoid monster with the head of a bull.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2012, 10:43:23 pm »

It should be version 1.0 when he finishes the stuff on this page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 07, 2012, 10:56:01 pm »

It should be version 1.0 when he finishes the stuff on this page: http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev.html
No, that's just near-future stuff. The old system of cores is the closest to indicative of the eventual future scope, but it has been rehashed and the new design plan is not public so we don't know how greatly it differs.

dennislp3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2012, 11:16:39 pm »

well we are at 0.3 after about 10 years...if he stays on course then 20 years! (mind you this is a horribly inaccurate method of estimation with about +/- 10 years of error)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5