Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0  (Read 10647 times)

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
Re: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0
« Reply #30 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:24 am »

if you look at the last few releases each major .01 sized release has needed something like 6 months, so er.... 33 years?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Uristocrat

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven Railgunner
    • View Profile
    • DF Wiki User Page
« Reply #31 on: March 08, 2012, 01:15:13 am »

All Toady has to do is declare some version to be 1.0, so mostly it depends on his willingness to do that.  It's not like DF would be "over" or something.  Really, the version number is meaningless.  It's more interesting to talk about whether or not certain features will ever be completed.

As far as that goes, I doubt that Toady will ever be able to add all the cool features he has imagined.  But he'll probably add a lot, so it will be interesting to see.
You could have berries on the rocks and the dwarves would say it was "berry gneiss."
You should die horribly for this. And I mean that in the nicest possible way.

Koronii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 08, 2012, 01:54:01 am »

I think the answer is yes, but it'll take years.

Leatra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 08, 2012, 04:54:47 am »

I'm pretty sure this game will never be "finished" unless... humanity dies or something.

And that's a good thing.

gimli

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2012, 08:23:09 am »

Slim or none?

What is DF's future?

Personally I would say....zero chance. Even tho there are many factors...what if Toady gets sick/married/etc? You know real life stuff like that. Even if he works on it full-time, it will take 20+ years to reach v1.0 with this development speed? That's a crazy amount of time.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:27:06 am by gimli »

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2012, 09:18:34 am »

Pretty sure the chance of seeing version 1.0 is 1.0.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Azri

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Fey Moods]
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:20 am »

Personally, I wonder if there's ever a possibility of this Spike-menacing monster ever getting ported onto something like a PS3 or Xbox360. Given the sheer processing power of those consoles, it'd be nice to have a game worth playing on them- and they're a lot more portable than a whole computer.

Granted, the interface would need more reworking than a transsexual hooker- and I've grown rather used to/fond of the whole-keyboard method.
Currently: Writing Watchword.
Tips, criticism and appreciation (If you like it, lemme know!) should be posted in the thread, or PM'd to me.

lordcooper

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm a number!
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 08:26:18 am »

Does anyone else want to take this one?
Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2012, 08:39:59 am »

You can't really know the chance unless you have some sort of mathematical model to base off, I can't think of any games like Dwarf Fortress to decide on the chance in an empirical way hehe.
Could extrapolate based on version numbers and time between them but then Toady could do whatever the hell he wants with version numbers, not to mention extrapolating isn't very wise in most cases. ^^
Sooo no idea!

greenskye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2012, 12:45:53 pm »

Personally, I wonder if there's ever a possibility of this Spike-menacing monster ever getting ported onto something like a PS3 or Xbox360. Given the sheer processing power of those consoles, it'd be nice to have a game worth playing on them- and they're a lot more portable than a whole computer.

Granted, the interface would need more reworking than a transsexual hooker- and I've grown rather used to/fond of the whole-keyboard method.

Actually DF would run very poorly on a PS3/360. DF is CPU not GPU dependent. Typically consoles have a relatively weak CPU and a modified GPU. Even if consoles had a traditional CPU, both of those consoles are 6 years old. Your average laptop has much greater processing power these days.

Still it would be nice to play DF on a big tv... as long as we had a usable interface for it.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2012, 01:03:13 pm »

-snip- giants like EA crap out mainstream-friendly junk like great bloated beasts with chronic diarrhea.

The mountain titan EeeAaah has arrived! It is a hideous constuction of concrete. Beware it's noxious excretions!
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

runlvlzero

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2012, 01:56:40 pm »

The Mayan calender says DF 1.0 will be released on Dec 23rd, 2012. As prophesied the world will vanish and we will all transport into magical Joyous Wilds! (with undead unicorns, ridden by GirlnHat =/)
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 02:29:13 pm by runlvlzero »
I voted for BANANA!

Murgy

• Bay Watcher
  • Is one of the first of his kind.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2012, 02:20:24 pm »

It may be prudent to begin growing our clone of Toady soon. I suspect it will be fully grown and ready to take over at roughly the halfway point between alpha and beta development. 
Quote from: Cruxador
Quote from: NW_Kohaku
I made a mod where giant spiders, snake-people, minotaurs, dwarves, and a gnome-like creature were all the same species.  In spite of being radically different sizes, a snake-person and a spider could get married and have a minotaur as a child.
A wonderful love story of a family that is truly without prejudice.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2012, 02:34:16 pm »

It may be prudent to begin growing our clone of Toady soon. I suspect it will be fully grown and ready to take over at roughly the halfway point between alpha and beta development. 

The secondary unit should be online soon. It's currently undergoing preparations and should be operational within six months. If necessary, the primary will be terminated.

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2012, 02:53:47 pm »

These sorts of threads always miss the point:

"Version 1.0" is an utterly meaningless metric.

Toady has said this is his life's work - when he finishes "1.0", he will just keep working on it, adding more things.

This game has been a playable and enjoyable game back when it was 2d, and since then nearly everything has been rewritten about the game.

Toady could declare the very next version that comes out "1.0" if he wanted to, he could also keep working on version "0.132.01" at his death bed, since the entire version number mechanic is arbitrary, and the only thing that matters is that the number keeps going up - he's even rewritten the criteria he uses to measure version numbers before, he could just as easily do it again. 

If, instead of asking about "1.0", you are asking when DF will be "finished" or "perfect", and Toady will never again touch the code, then the answer is probably "not even after his death", as Toady intends to keep working on it, and after he dies, let it go open source, so future generations may be able to pick up and improve on DF. 
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5