Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0  (Read 10645 times)

NW_Kohaku

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:SCIENCE_FOR_FUN: REQUIRED]
    • View Profile
Re: The likelihood of ever seeing a DF 1.0
« Reply #60 on: April 18, 2012, 01:43:10 pm »

Well, I should say as well, Toady tends to do things, like with the materials rewrite, where he adds in stats that don't matter to the game as it currently stands, and where he doesn't fill in full values for all the materials, and just assumes it will be there for future rewrites when he doesn't know what he's going to do with it.

He says it's because he's going to just make one big change and never have to change it again, but that often doesn't actually happen.  He rewrote appearances with the materials rewrite, then rewrote them again for vampires because he just couldn't foresee that need.  The needs he foresaw that he wrote changes into the materials code to plan for have yet to materialize, and it's hard to see how some of these sheer torsion fracture points ever will matter, given that most people with knowledge on material sciences came around to tell him that he's using the wrong numbers and formulas, anyway.

Focusing on making the game more modular in its structure and taking smaller steps at a time would probably save him more time in things he winds up having to rewrite over and over as well as bugs that become harder and harder to track down the more massive his changes are.
Personally, I like [DF] because after climbing the damned learning cliff, I'm too elitist to consider not liking it.
"And no Frankenstein-esque body part stitching?"
"Not yet"

Improved Farming
Class Warfare

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 18, 2012, 02:02:43 pm »

If we assume that the production cycle (so from initial release through testing to the next initial release) from .31 to .34 is typical for DF (being that we only really have one other cycle to look at from 40d to .31, and since 40d wasn't on the same percentage scale as .31 and .34 we can't use it); then we can assume that in order to advance .03 version numbers Toady needs approximately 684 days. Therefore with some rough assumptions we can see that DF 1.0 will be released on June 30, 2053. So only 41 more years to go!

For those of you wanting the math 684*(1-.34)/.03 days + the current date, factoring in leap years.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

JackOSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurker Supreme
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 19, 2012, 01:50:47 am »

well Toady One could always decide to expand the version numbers Indefinitely as in DF 0.34.08.000000000000001000000000000000001A  :P
but it's all up to him really

rex mortis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 19, 2012, 06:47:50 am »

No chance whatsoever. The version will be 1.0.0 as we all know.
Because death is peaceful and magma is lovely.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]