Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Confused about namespaces  (Read 1445 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Confused about namespaces
« on: March 06, 2012, 10:35:05 pm »

Hey, hoping for a little help.

So I'm confused about what I'm supposed to enter as the name of an article when I create a new one (for instance, to update an old page).  Recently, I made a memory (computing) page because "computation" had a red link and I always thought there ought to be something on the wiki there.  Should I have made it "DF2012:Memory (computing)"?

What happens if I follow a red link and create a page?  Will it put it in the DF2012 namespace automatically, or is there something I need to do?

Just not sure how it all works, trying to do things right and reduce clean-up work.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
Re: Confused about namespaces
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2012, 11:46:52 pm »

Links within any of the "DF version" namespaces (DF2012, v0.31, 40d, or 23a) will automatically point at the same namespace.
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2012, 11:59:47 pm »

Thanks.

If I happen to make a brand new page, say by search and then "create this page", will it end up in the 2012 namespace?
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Quietust

• Bay Watcher
  • Does not suffer fools gladly
    • View Profile
    • QMT Productions
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 08:53:07 am »

Brand new pages will end up in the global namespace, which is probably not where they belong (unless they apply to all past and and future versions, which isn't likely).
P.S. If you don't get this note, let me know and I'll write you another.
It's amazing how dwarves can make a stack of bones completely waterproof and magmaproof.
It's amazing how they can make an entire floodgate out of the bones of 2 cats.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 05:54:56 pm »

Cool, thanks.  I think I got the hang of it.