Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: World Viewer 2012 - 2.0.0 - Oct 2  (Read 13578 times)

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
World Viewer 2012 - 2.0.0 - Oct 2
« on: March 07, 2012, 12:47:24 pm »

World Viewer DF2012 is a tool used to analyze and view information about a Dwarf Fortress World.  It uses, parses, transforms, and interprets information exported from Legends Mode.

Download from DFFD: link

Source: link

Screenshots: link

This is a pre-alpha release. - Rewriten as of October 2nd.

Spoiler: What do you mean? (click to show/hide)

Current Features
  • Legends Mode+ - An interlinked display of data from legends mode as well as history and site files
  • Interpreted data, such as Wars, and Battles.
  • Historical Figure Links - Including Family Tree (see image above)

Planned Major Features
  • Timeline view, similar to but more customizable then the one for Civ IV
  • Details on world population, races, and dynasties
  • Detailed and Customizable Map
  • Extensive Sorting/Filtering options
  • Custom Save Format so it's faster to load a frequently viewed world into World Viewer.

Instructions
  • Generate a world in Dwarf Fortress
  • (If you want to View a world with a fortress you currently are playing. Make a copy of the save and then abandon the fortress on the copy)
  • Enter Legends mode
  • Export Legends xml (Press "x") and Detailed Map/Gen info (Press "p")
  • Open World Viewer, click "Quick Load World" and point it at the new .bmp file that was created within your DF Folder.
  • Be patient, if you receive an OutOfMemory Error your legends mode is too large for the current World Viewer release.

Please report ANY and all issues you have, and feel free to offer any suggestions or requests you might have!

Special Thanks to Parker147, his Legends Viewer is a fantastic tool.  I appreciate him not only being cool with me reviving World Viewer, but also offering valuable help regarding the changes to the xml.  Thanks![/list]
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 07:24:15 am by Mason11987 »

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: World Viewer 2012 - Pre-Alpha Release
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 01:38:42 pm »

Looks great!  Could use some thorough spell-checking though.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:42:03 pm by Kestrel »
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 01:56:10 pm »

Thuthu the Lush Skunk? REALLY?? God I love this game.

But srsly, this tool looks very interesting. It will be especially useful when pets are better implemented and civilization impacts taming opportunities. Thanks for this.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

parlor_tricks

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://noyb
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 02:37:58 pm »

Woot. Shall test!

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:42 pm »

Family trees! Brilliant stuff, thanks for this.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 02:51:19 pm »

Family trees! Brilliant stuff, thanks for this.

Thanks!

I don't have any instructions about what it all means in the program yet, but the top treeview shows descendants.

The bottom shows ancestors

In both cases the name is in blue if the person is known to be a father, red if they are a mother.  It's in italics if it's at the depth limit (at the moment just 5 deep - this will likely be an option later)

Thuthu the Lush Skunk? REALLY?? God I love this game.

But srsly, this tool looks very interesting. It will be especially useful when pets are better implemented and civilization impacts taming opportunities. Thanks for this.

That is if Toady puts that stuff into the legends mode (hint hint).  No problem, let me know if you have any requests.

Thanks! That's not surprising, mind listing some specifics?  You might see things I don't.

Urist McDagger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 04:03:17 pm »

So... What's the difference between this and Legends Viewer?
You wouldn't rush Goya or Faulkner or Tarantino. Think about Toady as equal to those artists. And then deal with it.

Kestrel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 04:11:08 pm »

Thanks! That's not surprising, mind listing some specifics?  You might see things I don't.
Sure thing!

"Dynastys" should read "Dynasties."  "Worshiped" has two p's.  "Entitys" should be "Entities."  Stuff like that. 

The tool looks great otherwise.  Like an expanded Legends Viewer.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): I heard that I died.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): I died.
Goblin 6 (to Goblin 7): It was inevitable.
Goblin 7 (to Goblin 6): It was inevitable.

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 05:12:38 pm »

Just looking over and comparing some things and it looks like a good start.

While doing some comparing I noticed a problem, not with the programs, but with the data in the XML Dump. The Historical Figure links are only the most recent links. Which won't normally change at all except for night creatures when they kidnap a hf and claim them as a spouse. If the hf had a previous spouse, that spouse is removed as a link. I really wish the "ad hf hf link" event would have been completed to contain that data instead, rather than just dumping those links as properties of the hfs. Might be possible to fill in the previous spouse by looking at the "add hf hf links", but it sounds like a pain.

So... What's the difference between this and Legends Viewer?

We are both making pretty similar tools and I think the biggest difference to me is the layout of the data. Currently for me, its kinda difficult in my program to display data in neater arrangements like World Viewer can do. Which is something that some people prefer, rather than just having giant lists like in mine.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 05:19:03 pm by Parker147 »

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 07, 2012, 06:15:21 pm »

Just looking over and comparing some things and it looks like a good start.

While doing some comparing I noticed a problem, not with the programs, but with the data in the XML Dump. The Historical Figure links are only the most recent links. Which won't normally change at all except for night creatures when they kidnap a hf and claim them as a spouse. If the hf had a previous spouse, that spouse is removed as a link. I really wish the "ad hf hf link" event would have been completed to contain that data instead, rather than just dumping those links as properties of the hfs. Might be possible to fill in the previous spouse by looking at the "add hf hf links", but it sounds like a pain.

Yeah, I noticed that.  It's really unfortunate we can't get that info, at least it's heading in the right direction though.  I was considering getting partial information by looking through children and their parents.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 06:55:50 am »

Alright, got your PM and downloaded the program.

I used world which has two abandoned fortresses, medium region with about 108 years of history.

Right after I pushed the Quick Load button got an error of "Index Out of Bounds", relating to .Net framework. Here is the technical stuff:

Code: [Select]
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index is out of the range of the table.
   kohteessa WorldViewer.clsWorld.Link_HistoricalEvents()
   kohteessa WorldViewer.clsWorld.CreateLinks()
   kohteessa WorldViewer.clsWorld..ctor(String strXMLFilePath, String strHistoryFilePath, String strSitesFilePath, String strParamFilePath, String strMapFilePath)
   kohteessa WorldViewer.frmLoad.btnLoadWorld_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm using Windows 7, 64bit. I pushed the "Continue button" and World Viewer is still calculating the legends. I will let it to run longer though I suspect it has crashed as the progress bar hasn't moved in last few minutes. It has stayed in "Create Links" section while matching historical events.

And here is a picture of the World Viewer while it's still supposedly calculating:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I will give it ten or so minutes more and if no progress happens I will just terminate it and try again with freshly genned world.

EDIT:
Scrap that, terminated the software, genned new world (small region with 150 years of history) and everything runs fine.

Haven't checked it out too much yet but noticed one thing; accented characters aren't showed properly. An example can be seen in the picture above, instead of accented character it show strange ? symbol instead.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 07:00:17 am by Kipi »
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:45:08 am »

Alright, got your PM and downloaded the program.

I used world which has two abandoned fortresses, medium region with about 108 years of history.

Right after I pushed the Quick Load button got an error of "Index Out of Bounds", relating to .Net framework. Here is the technical stuff:

Code: [Select]
System.IndexOutOfRangeException: Index is out of the range of the table.
   kohteessa WorldViewer.clsWorld.Link_HistoricalEvents()
   kohteessa WorldViewer.clsWorld.CreateLinks()
   kohteessa WorldViewer.clsWorld..ctor(String strXMLFilePath, String strHistoryFilePath, String strSitesFilePath, String strParamFilePath, String strMapFilePath)
   kohteessa WorldViewer.frmLoad.btnLoadWorld_Click(Object sender, EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnClick(EventArgs e)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.OnMouseUp(MouseEventArgs mevent)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WmMouseUp(Message& m, MouseButtons button, Int32 clicks)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.ButtonBase.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Button.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.OnMessage(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.Control.ControlNativeWindow.WndProc(Message& m)
   kohteessa System.Windows.Forms.NativeWindow.Callback(IntPtr hWnd, Int32 msg, IntPtr wparam, IntPtr lparam)

I'm using Windows 7, 64bit. I pushed the "Continue button" and World Viewer is still calculating the legends. I will let it to run longer though I suspect it has crashed as the progress bar hasn't moved in last few minutes. It has stayed in "Create Links" section while matching historical events.

And here is a picture of the World Viewer while it's still supposedly calculating:

I will give it ten or so minutes more and if no progress happens I will just terminate it and try again with freshly genned world.

EDIT:
Scrap that, terminated the software, genned new world (small region with 150 years of history) and everything runs fine.

Haven't checked it out too much yet but noticed one thing; accented characters aren't showed properly. An example can be seen in the picture above, instead of accented character it show strange ? symbol instead.

Yeah, I haven't had a chance to test yet with played/abandoned fortresses, might have caused some quirks I didn't expect.

Definitely a lot of help here though.  I'll have to gen and play a world a little bit to see if I can't recreate this, unless you can somehow send me the save file?  Might be too big, but if you can: http://www.mediafire.com/

That image is definitely helpful too.  Thanks!

Regarding the special characters, I noticed that.  the solution I used in the last version doesn't work with VB.net so I'm looking for an alternative, the data is handled correctly (and it's able to make some matches even if the name in the .xml is slightly different from the sites/history file) just not displayed nicely.

@Parker, how did you handle this?  I haven't checked your source to see how you do it.

I also haven't effectively put in error checking as I'm not sure how I want to best handle it.  But in the future most crash errors should allow you to continue (if only with some missing data), but for now it probably won't be able to handle it in most cases.

Kipi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:33:13 am »

Okay, here is the save:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x8los4x08tege77

For me it crashes when it reach "Match Historical Events (XML) to their links (105000/ 106769)

The errors in the picture comes when it tries to read the file
Room Values - !!SCIENCE!!

Quote from: zanchito
You know, they could teach maths like this at school. "There are 105 dwarves in a settlement. A goblin invasion appears and 67 die. Then a migrant wave..."

Parker147

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:13:30 am »

Regarding the special characters, I noticed that.  the solution I used in the last version doesn't work with VB.net so I'm looking for an alternative, the data is handled correctly (and it's able to make some matches even if the name in the .xml is slightly different from the sites/history file) just not displayed nicely.

@Parker, how did you handle this?  I haven't checked your source to see how you do it.

I've just built a list for every unicode character I have seen and manually replace each one. Not sure if there is a better way to do it, heres the list and code that does that
Every once in awhile a character would pop up that I hadn't found a replacement for, but that hasn't happened in a long time so I think I got them all. I really wish that we would have been able to use that entity position data from the XML. Then we could have done away with the history file almost completely. Kinda irritating waiting so long for some changes to the XML, get them and then realize you can't use some of it. I might try to throw together a list of suggestions for the XML this weekend to see if we can get some things changed atleast.

Mason11987

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 01:45:50 pm »

Okay, here is the save:

http://www.mediafire.com/?x8los4x08tege77

For me it crashes when it reach "Match Historical Events (XML) to their links (105000/ 106769)

The errors in the picture comes when it tries to read the file

Thanks, I'll check it out.

I've just built a list for every unicode character I have seen and manually replace each one. Not sure if there is a better way to do it, heres the list and code that does that
Every once in awhile a character would pop up that I hadn't found a replacement for, but that hasn't happened in a long time so I think I got them all. I really wish that we would have been able to use that entity position data from the XML. Then we could have done away with the history file almost completely. Kinda irritating waiting so long for some changes to the XML, get them and then realize you can't use some of it. I might try to throw together a list of suggestions for the XML this weekend to see if we can get some things changed atleast.

That's awesome, thanks.  I sort of went the other way.  I have it search for a matching person and if it can't find one (those people with special characters won't be found) it'll run through everything again and compare letter for letter and if it finds a >=50% match it'll link them up.  That's time consuming but I wasn't sure I'd be able to get all the unicodes.  I'll probably use your table and just go my method as a very last resort.

Thanks!

You want to set up a google docs that we can share+edit for those suggestions (mason11987 at gmail.com?  I'd like to add onto any list you have this weekend.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 01:48:02 pm by Mason11987 »
Pages: [1] 2 3