Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Some fluid dynamics questions  (Read 4741 times)

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Some fluid dynamics questions
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 04:55:41 am »

Wow, it hadn't even occurred to me that it could work in 3d.  Pretty easily, even.  It's a 3d printer for DF.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 05:00:11 am »

Yeah, again the only downside is the lack of floors/ramps. Otherwise, you could build a huge one of these up at the top (z-levelwise) of the map and print out your own fortress. You can print out a template, then mine out the rooms and stuff i guess...

It just occurred to me that this thread's title is no longer really what it's about.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 03:02:33 pm »

Slight necro, because I think I have an improved design for your 3d printer.

Code: [Select]

########
%% #+++#
##     #
####   #
########

Here we have a grid of magma safe hanging doors over a printing chamber fed by a magma safe screw pump.  Actually, it's probably fed by two screw pumps, but they both output to the same tile.  First let's pump water until we can pump no further:

########
%%7#+++#
##77777#
####777#
########

Now let's open one door.

########
%%7#+ +#
##77777#
####777#
########

Now let's pump in a single tick's worth of magma-- either pump for a single tick, which I've recently figured out how to do, or, more easily, only supply our pump with a single tile's worth of magma.  What does the magma do?  Here's where testing is required, but I hypothesize that it goes into the space left by the open door.  From there, it falls into the water, obsidianizes, and caves-in.

This is simpler because you need only a single row of hanging constructions, but the fact that you can only print a single tile of obsidian per run through might mean it runs more slowly.  Some construction possible with the previous design are not possible with this one, because you can't make an obsidian roof-- once the cave-in starts, it won't snag on any adjacent obsidian.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

TSTwizby

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 09:22:41 pm »

Thanks for the suggestion. I think for now I'm going to try to make a printer that doesn't use any hanging stuff first, to prove that it's possible without exploits, and then maybe build a bigger one using hanging doors and whatnot to more impressive effect. I've finalized my design for the printer itself, and managed to compress it a bit, but I'm having some trouble with getting the machinery set up to run it.

(side view)
# #_*#
# # %%
  -X##
 #_*#
 # %%
 -X##
A bunch of these could be built in a wall and staggered in height to make arbitrary rectangles, though it's possible to reduce space taken up for specific shapes with common sense. The '-' are bridges which run in principal along the entire range of pumps and are there to block access to the pump intakes as an extra safeguard. The floodgates' being directly at the input to the pump makes it unnecessary to control which pumps are running at any given time, making the machinery much simpler, as well as rendering drainage unnecessary. The gear assemblies are a little awkward to connect, but not too difficult and only waste a small amount of power. I'll probably start a new thread once I get this all working.
I got a female and male dragon on my embark. I got cagetraps on the exits but im struggling to find a way to make them path into it.
Live bait.
3 dwarfs out of 7 dead so far
Pages: 1 [2]