Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Collectable Non-Soil Inorganics  (Read 1913 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Collectable Non-Soil Inorganics
« on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:39 pm »

I want to create an inorganic material that can be collected like clay, but doesn't appear as a soil layer. How can I do this?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Collectable Non-Soil Inorganics
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 09:20:57 pm »

Make it a normal rock that appears as normal stones do, then make a custom workshop that must be built out of a stone of that type that has a custom reaction that produces more stones of that type. This way, you acquire one unit of it and can then use that unit to produce an infinite number more. Problems with this method include the fact that you'd be able to make your "collection zone" anywhere, not just where the original came from, and if you imported any instance of that material you'd be able to "collect" more, even if there's nowhere you could really collect from.

Otherwise, you can't do such a thing. Clay collection zones work only with clay soils, and sand collection zones work only with sand soils.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2012, 10:05:55 pm »

Thanks for trying to help.

...Would it matter that the mineral in question only occurs in soil layers?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2012, 11:50:33 pm »

Not in the slightest. Currently the only collectable things are clay and sand, and pretty much all of their functions are hardcoded. You could potentially make a new "sand" and then have it collected with a custom reaction that could use it as a "new" resource and that would accomplish similar to what you are looking for, but a side effect would be that the new resource could also be turned into glass just like normal sand would be able to.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

NecroRebel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 12:02:19 am »

Not in the slightest. Currently the only collectable things are clay and sand, and pretty much all of their functions are hardcoded. You could potentially make a new "sand" and then have it collected with a custom reaction that could use it as a "new" resource and that would accomplish similar to what you are looking for, but a side effect would be that the new resource could also be turned into glass just like normal sand would be able to.
I'm pretty sure that if you gave the material SOIL_SAND, needed for it to be treated as sand and gathered that way, it would be soil and thus would spawn as other soils would. Maybe if you also gave it SOIL_OCEAN, but I think that would make it spawn in the deep sea and elsewhere rather than only in the deep sea.
A Better Magma Pump Stack: For all your high-FPS surface-level magma installation needs!

expwnent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 02:42:34 am »

There are different colors of sand (red sand, yellow sand, etc). Maybe you could make a new type of sand and have a reaction which only uses that kind.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 04:28:50 am »

Yep, but as i2armoy said, it will still be sand, usable in glass furnace.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2012, 03:56:25 pm »

I'm pretty sure that if you gave the material SOIL_SAND, needed for it to be treated as sand and gathered that way, it would be soil and thus would spawn as other soils would. Maybe if you also gave it SOIL_OCEAN, but I think that would make it spawn in the deep sea and elsewhere rather than only in the deep sea.

When was the last time you started a fort on the ocean floor?

Thanks, by the way. This should work...
Sig