Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: Dolnar Asylum. Turn Four. SIR EWAN BONECRUSHER, AT YOUR SERVICE.  (Read 6626 times)

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile

Hide! Back up!
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile

Action change: Flank the skeleton, distracting it from hitting Tyrin
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Follow Calleth out, and look for other foes. If there aren't any help him, if there is kill them with the sharp end of my sword

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile

Tyrin nodded at Henrietta's command, this was probably going to be tough as he didn't know how bad a fighter was a "bad" fighter. He was scared, but he knew how to handle his blade.

"Avast at ye, O foe of evil, I smite at your bones and whatnot."

Attack the skeleton following Henrietta's advice, aid Ochita by taking the other flank.

'If only I had a longsword...then the pommel would be of such use here! I wonder if "slow" means it's thinking...'

((Edit: Wow, this is going well. The party has divided equally into two groups of three. One is down in the moat consisting of scriver, me and Ochita while the rest go through the front door, both have a member with basic monster knowledge. Wonderful.))
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 09:05:27 pm by Tiruin »

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dolnar Asylum. Turn Three. In which the first things go wrong!
« Reply #34 on: March 11, 2012, 05:42:10 pm »

Aww yis. Let's get our third turn on.

"It's a skeleton! He moves slowly and is a bad fighter! Hit it with the pointy end! Riposte!"

Hide behind Ochita and tell the others what to do.
[1] You hide in front of Ochita and remind Tyrin that skeletons are weak to being stabbed.

Flank the skeleton, distracting it from hitting Tyrin
[2] For some reason Henrietta stands between you and the skeleton; she refuses to let you past.

Attack the skeleton following Henrietta's advice, aid Ochita by taking the other flank.
[6] Despite Ochita's FLANKING being hindered by Henrietta's NOBLE SELF SACRIFICE, you alone prove enough of a distraction that the skeleton ignores them both! And instead focuses all its efforts on fighting you!
You take Henrietta's advice to heart, and attack the skeleton.

Tyrin enters physical combat with the skeleton!
Tyrin uses FENCING!
[...] His superior swordplay easily bests that of the skeleton!
[...] Taking Henrietta's advice to stab the skeleton proves less effective than hoped. In fact, it doesn't really do anything to the skeleton. So Tyrin tries slashing instead. [3,1] A powerful blow cracks the bones in the skeleton's sword arm, and a second slashing blow to the neck decapitates the skeleton.
This does not kill it. However, it is quite crippled. The skeletons attempts at retaliation are far too clumsy to get through Tyrin's defence- it is now effectively harmless.

Meanwhile...

Dash out of the crawlspace. Take the guard down.
[2] Have you tried dashing in a crawlspace? There's a problem with that. Hint: It's in the name.
You crawl as fast as you can towards the square of light.
The guard seems briefly confused, but closes the door long before you reach it. You hear scraping noises- the door being locked again.
You also hear muttering. [3] No idea what he's saying. Well, at least he didn't try to kill you.

Follow Calleth out, and look for other foes. If there aren't any help him, if there is kill them with the sharp end of my sword
There's a problem with that.

Hide! Back up!
You hide in the darkness. You don't think the man saw you- probably too focussed on Caellath.

One day! One day I will choose second or third person and I will STICK TO IT.
Oh who am I kidding.
Maybe I'll do the next one in first person?

Spoiler: Ochita (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Superior_Tomato (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: scriver (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 11, 2012, 05:57:22 pm »

Go back to the front of the Asylum. If the guard is still under mind control, sneak through the front door.

((The crawlspace colleagues should follow me unless you want to try your luck with falling through the moat. Also, keeping two groups is more interesting.))
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:01:43 pm by Caellath »
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 11, 2012, 06:06:06 pm »

Pick up the decapitated skull and put it on the top of my staff. Ask it if it can talk. Call it Aedelbert Toothclatter IV.
Love, scriver~

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 11, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

Follow fellow fleeing wizard

Ochita

• Bay Watcher
  • Doofus ghostus
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 11, 2012, 06:27:59 pm »

Smash the skeleton to bits
Quote from: Freeform
princest zaldo of hurl kindom: the mushroom aren't going to choice itself, ochita

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 11, 2012, 10:12:17 pm »

(Lol'd at the hiding at the front  :P )

"By ye Gods, how can this being not die? Again!"

Take the Skeleton's weapon!

Edit: And shield if possible!

Also if possible, Search forwards, holding my sword ready to thrust in anything that lunges out at us.

"Did we forget to bring a torch, again?"
« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 07:46:12 am by Tiruin »

Superior_Tomato

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm waiting. . .
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2012, 02:27:06 am »

Follow fellow wizrds out of the crawlspace and order mind slave to follow us.
'Course with Dwarf Fortress, the only relevant question is, "How far away will the ASCII gibs splash on landing?"
5 squares per limb, if you raise the north orthoclase bridge before sacrificing one of them so they have a straight shot to the bottom of the chasm.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Dolnar Asylum. Turn Four. SIR EWAN BONECRUSHER, AT YOUR SERVICE.
« Reply #41 on: March 13, 2012, 02:57:12 am »

Doo doo doo.

Go back to the front of the Asylum. If the guard is still under mind control, sneak through the front door.
Follow fellow fleeing wizard
Follow fellow wizrds out of the crawlspace and order mind slave to follow us.
[5,1,3]
Caellath wisely decides to get the hell out of dodge. He scampers back up the vent, using a screwdriver stabbed through the thin metal of the steep section as a handhold to get up.
Valyar, equally wisely, decides to follow him. Unfortunately, with no screwdriver (or other anachronistic implement) on hand, he is unable to scale the steep section of the vent. Scrabbling to find purchase, he cuts his hand open on the split metal where Caellath stabbed his 'driver. It bleeds profusely, and hurts like the blazes- his curses echo through the vent, leading to
Owen taking a much more cautious approach. He worms his way past the cursing Valyar, and using Valyar's head as a stepping board, with Caellath giving a hand from above, barely manages to get back up. Valyar is left below to curse and swear at his use as a stepladder.
The hypnotised guard is still standing outside the vent, completely unmoving. [5] Owen considers the duration of his spell to be exceptionally long... provided the guard is a regular human.

[...] Is it me, or is it getting hot in here? Like, really hot. And there is definitely a breeze blowing through this vent. A breeze blowing inwards... or at least for now.

Pick up the decapitated skull and put it on the top of my staff. Ask it if it can talk. Call it Aedelbert Toothclatter IV.
[5] You (there I go again) place the skull on your staff. It rattles around a bit, but whatever. You ask it if it can talk.
Your words seem to stir something in the old bone. The lights in its eyes flare, its jaw wobbles experimentally, and then, [6] in a loud, proud, booming voice, it intones:
"Talk, young lady? Talk? My dear, I can do more than just talk, I can intone, orate, soliloquise, drawl, gab, chat, wobble my tongue and flap my lips! Why, I am renowned for it. Indeed, who are you that you do not know Sir Ewan Bonecrusher, chief advisor to the King?"
The skull spins around on the top of the staff, taking in its surroundings.
"And why am I in this dreary tunnel and- IS THAT A SKELETON? KILL IT, KILL IT! WHERE'S ITS SKULL, CRUSH IT, THAT'S ITS WEAKNESS! WHERE DID YOU IDIOTS PUT ITS SKULL?"

[1]Sir Ewan's voice is loud enough to raise the dead, and the dead in this passageway do not need much in the way of raising. A cacophony of rattling bones and rusty swords being drawn reaches your ears from further down the corridor. Your candle splutters, and several... other, (even) more disquieting noises acompany them- moans and tortured cries. [4] A passage comes to mind from some old tome on ghosts; that those evil beings object strenuously to being awoken, and will moan and cry with evil voices should this happen.
You really hope it isn't ghosts. Skeletons are one thing- but ghosts... you don't know how you would deal with ghosts.

Smash the skeleton to bits
[...] You are somewhat confused by the skeleton's own skull requesting that you kill it, but you suppose it knows best.
[2] Fortunately for Ewan you are really pathetic, and your staff barely scratches the beast, let alone smash it.
[...] You hear more skeletons rising down the tunnel, and worse. It gives you the heeby jeebies.

Take the Skeleton's weapon!
Edit: And shield if possible!
Also if possible, Search forwards, holding my sword ready to thrust in anything that lunges out at us.

"Did we forget to bring a torch, again?"
[4] You gingerly take the skeleton's sword and shield from its unresisting hands. [1] Both are so decayed that they are even worse than your current weapon- no mean feat by any account. You drop them on the ground.
As Ewan's voice booms out and you hear more skeletons rising, [...] you bravely step forwards, sword ready, protecting those behind you.

Ayup. You have no idea how lucky you are to get this turn; my depression has taken another dip, leaving me sleeping ~18 hours a day, and about as motivated to do stuff as your average corpse.

Spoiler: Ochita (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Tiruin (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Superior_Tomato (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Caellath (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: scriver (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: adwarf (click to show/hide)
Long Live United Forenia!

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 13, 2012, 04:56:27 am »

Tyrin swore. The only light source behind him blew out, meager as it was. The sounds deeper in unnerved him, but at least his conscience was partly prepared as he wasn't paralyzed by fear.

"Henrietta? Ochita? Where in blazes are you both?"

It was dark.

Cautiously backstep towards the sound of Sir Ewan's voice while thrusting my blade forwards just to be sure nothing lunges at me.

"Sir Ewan! What advice can you give for us now? And I apologize for defiling your skeletal corpse!"

Caellath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 13, 2012, 04:30:47 pm »

Find a rope or a similar object to help Valyar with.
"Hey steve." You speak into the air.
>Yes?
"Could you guys also make a hamburger out of this arm when they cut it off? I wanted to eat it just for the sake of tasting it."
>That is horrible and disgusting. It will no doubt set you apart and create fear in your team mates. So of course.

scriver

• Bay Watcher
  • City streets ain't got much pity
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 13, 2012, 04:58:58 pm »

"Aiiigh! Ward the hall! Ward the hall!"

Hide behind Ochita again and try to re-light the candle.

"Lord Bonecrusher! Do something!"
Love, scriver~
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4