Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Traders turned zombie  (Read 6716 times)

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Traders turned zombie
« on: March 08, 2012, 12:52:09 pm »

So a trader caravan (with wagons) was leaving my fort just as a cloud of Execrable Soot rolled in from the ocean, the entire caravan and one of my soldiers was turned into excrable soot zombies. That's when things get weird. The wagon animals, drivers and one of the guards continued as normal, all in the right place (though the guard seemed to be chasing rather than following).
The traders who pull the animals along didn't fare so well, one of them has disappeared and his animal has started a fight with three of the caravan guards. The other one was dragging the animal behind him for a little while, then my soldier who had also been turned moved too close to them and they broke apart. Now the merchant and his animal are fighting.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
Re: Traders turned zombie
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 12:53:13 pm »

Just another "successful" trade mission in DF.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:01 pm »

The wagons and all the dwarves with them left the map. Two of the guards and one of the pack animals tore the third guard to pieces, then they left the map too, the merchant and his pack animal continue fighting up and down the beach, and my soldier is just standing there. I also noticed that the entire contents of the caravan were deposited on the ground in one square.

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 01:04:35 pm »

It would be really funny if they got turned as they were coming in, everyone carried on as usual, and they left again after the trading.
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

martinuzz

• Bay Watcher
  • High dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 01:18:21 pm »

Even more funny if they only accepted prepared brains for trading
Friendly and polite reminder for optimists: Hope is a finite resource

We can ­disagree and still love each other, ­unless your disagreement is rooted in my oppression and denial of my humanity and right to exist - James Baldwin

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=73719.msg1830479#msg1830479

IT 000

• Bay Watcher
  • Strange Mood
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 01:21:32 pm »

I wonder, since wagons are technically creatures according to the raws, could we get a zombie wagon?

***CORROSION v2.14***
<<<More Than Just Zombies>>>
Back from the Dead!

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 01:27:34 pm »

I wonder, since wagons are technically creatures according to the raws, could we get a zombie wagon?

Furthermore, would it be dangerous?
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Premium

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 01:34:57 pm »

I would assume wagons are immune to syndromes/interactions but that sounds like a good !!SCIENCE!! project.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 01:51:14 pm »

You know how traders go berzerk when they have been stuck on your map too long? one of the pack animals just did. Berzerk zombie.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 01:51:39 pm »

Oh god this is amazing.

UnHerpers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 02:01:02 pm »

So I ordered my millitary to attack the zombie soldier who was just hanging out, he was equipped with a set of exceptional steel armour and axe, but I had 6 guys attacking him so I wasn't worried. I figured fighting an extremely tough soot zombie would train them up plenty, It totally did AND TRAINED THE ZOMBIE.
For some reason he still shows up in Therapist, and after quite a bit of attacking he is at Legendary +1 Axedwarf Legendary +5 Fighter and Legendary +3 shield user. He started at practically zero for all of them.
It's like a danger room but with six angry axe wielding dwarves.
I de-soldiered my troops and they all just wandered away to eat/drink, now the zombie wanders the my lands, ridiculously skilled and hopefully a sentinel against my enemies, he walks pretty slowly so my dwarves aren't in much danger.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 02:09:06 pm »

So I ordered my millitary to attack the zombie soldier who was just hanging out, he was equipped with a set of exceptional steel armour and axe, but I had 6 guys attacking him so I wasn't worried. I figured fighting an extremely tough soot zombie would train them up plenty, It totally did AND TRAINED THE ZOMBIE.
For some reason he still shows up in Therapist, and after quite a bit of attacking he is at Legendary +1 Axedwarf Legendary +5 Fighter and Legendary +3 shield user. He started at practically zero for all of them.
It's like a danger room but with six angry axe wielding dwarves.
I de-soldiered my troops and they all just wandered away to eat/drink, now the zombie wanders the my lands, ridiculously skilled and hopefully a sentinel against my enemies, he walks pretty slowly so my dwarves aren't in much danger.
I was waiting for a loyalty cascade SNAFU in there

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 02:28:15 pm »

Furthermore, would it be dangerous?

Furtherfurthermoremore, would we be able to weaponize it?
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

zehive

• Bay Watcher
  • [DRAGONFIREBREATH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 02:29:23 pm »

Can I tame it, or would that come with the consequence of enemies sieging me on war wagons

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 02:59:11 pm »

Can I tame it, or would that come with the consequence of enemies sieging me on war wagons
Ah, sadly wagons are treated differently now and cannot be used by civs for anything other than trade:(

Remove the equipment tag however.....
Pages: [1] 2