Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13

Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 29806 times)

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:50:57 pm »

Eh, I've always been leery of anything that even hints of connections to U.S. military involvement

This also hints of Ugandan military involvement. Not exactly better!
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 12:26:44 am »

Abolishing warlords is already on my STGD list. I guess making people aware of such evils couldn't hurt anything, though.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:36:02 am by King DZA »

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 12:32:39 am »

There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

Scelly9

• Bay Watcher
  • That crazy long-haired queer liberal communist
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 12:35:00 am »

Nice.
You taste the jug! It is ceramic.
Quote from: Loud Whispers
SUPPORT THE COMMUNIST GAY MOVEMENT!

NobodyPro

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 02:38:14 am »

The first thing I thought when I watched Blood Diamond was "I gotta be able to make a buck outta this, somehow." Good work Invisible Children.[/sarcasm]

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 02:55:33 am »

Quite nice being in this community, where people actually do research instead of "ZOMG STOP KONY NOW"

It's been around for a few days.

I was on the supporting side of the cause at first, then I did my research, and found out that the things didn't add up. I mean, hell the first thing on my mind was that if Kony was really so bad and had all these child slaves, why aren't these children with nothing to lose fighting back? It's very hard to keep slaves with guns from shooting you in the back of the head. Those kids consider the LRA family of some kind and at least half of them are indoctrinated.

I mean, I do believe that Kony should be stopped, but it'd create a power vacuum like all other things.

Also, the really hipster Kony 2012 video either reminded me of a political ad or just one of those things naive students make all the time to try and change the world with their liberal arts degree. It sounded inspiring at first, but at the end of the video, when you stop and think, you realize that they haven't proposed any real solution. And the last 10 minutes were just contentless drivel.
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 08:12:49 am »

I went from "Seems like a cheesy tearjerker charity campaign" to "Hey, that's actually pretty cool" while watching the video. Now I'm back to where I started after I saw an article Nilocy linked about what the Ugandans think of it and did some more research after that. Should've done it right away.

They are pretty clever with the project as the ones convinced by it have a great thing to say for disregarding any criticism: "Why are you against delivering justice on a mass murderer and slaver?"

It's not the point of the criticism, but it won't really matter. Invisible Children just made sure they keep getting millions and millions for years to come.

A bit sad how this proved once again that things are "Too good to be true"
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 05:22:07 pm by LASD »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 08:33:35 am »

I guess the part that WTFs me is why did this suddenly erupt on the interwebs in the past couple of days? Instead of...oh, I dunno...maybe 5 months ago when the US first sent military advisers to Uganda and Limbaugh made his infamous gaffe??

I'm glad to see the LRA actually get some coverage (I've known about them for years, since we covered them in a counterterrorism course), but yeah...I'm skeptical in general.

I have to confess my initial reaction to all the "OMG THIS IS SO TERRIBLE" stuff on Facebook was to roll my eyes. Then I realized I was being a terrorism hipster. "Yeah, I knew about these guys before anybody had heard of them."   ;)

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 11:37:19 am »

It cropped up suddenly because of the viral Kony 2012 documentary which popped up on the fifth.

And yeah, you have to be careful about how you complain.  It's gotta be subtle, you can't just run around posting links to why it's wrong or you're a terrorism hipster.

I just posted "It's getting a little white man's burden in here" on my facebook and left it at that.
Shoes...

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 01:19:47 pm »

Wow. Yeah. That says a lot doesn't it. Also although I do not know why I find myself surprised Cfoofoo has a facebook.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 01:30:28 pm »

I was skeptical the moment this guy started using his kid as a tool, and the dodgy edits started showing in the video... And that was before I started researching.

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 01:49:40 pm »

I guess I wasn't really shocked because all through school in 2000, we studied atrocities like the ones committed by the LRA. So when I saw a video of maimed Africans and child soldiers, my reaction was "Yep.....been happening for nigh on 30 years or longer."
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 04:14:03 pm »

Wow. Yeah. That says a lot doesn't it. Also although I do not know why I find myself surprised Cfoofoo has a facebook.
Probably because tagging him in pictures is difficult to do without having your mind shattered into a billion screaming shards and dashed against the veil of ignorance behind which lies all of humankind, as his mouldering visage annihilates all that exists of your miniscule being.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Rollory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 11:22:35 pm »

I guess I wasn't really shocked because all through school in 2000, we studied atrocities like the ones committed by the LRA. So when I saw a video of maimed Africans and child soldiers, my reaction was "Yep.....been happening for nigh on 30 years or longer."

Yes.  General Butt Naked is another example.  The guy he worked for - Samuel Doe, the president - was captured, tortured (which was broadcast on live TV and showed up on news reports worldwide), and eventually escaped the torture by bashing his own head against the nearest wall repeatedly until he died.  The fighting in the Congo is even more barbaric, especially when women get caught in it.

Dutchling

• Bay Watcher
  • Ridin' with Biden
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2012, 09:13:01 am »

Spoiler: this made me laugh (click to show/hide)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13