Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13

Author Topic: Kony 2012  (Read 29803 times)

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
Kony 2012
« on: March 08, 2012, 10:01:30 pm »

Forgive me if there's a topic already, but I couldn't find one.

Anyway, Kony2012

An effort by the charity 'Invisible Children' to raise awarness of the LRA in Africa, a guerilla group and the ones behind several atrocities in Africa. However is the way they want us to fight it sound? Is it right to send our resources to a region where we can gain nothing, while possibly not even solving the problem?
Hello Hunam

penguinofhonor

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Love
    • View Profile
Re: Kony 2012
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 10:13:18 pm »

From what I've heard, Invisible Children is incredibly sketchy. As in, it's pretty likely most of their money is going to their executives and not anyone who needs it.

Someone I know posted an alternate charity on Facebook, I'll try to find that soon.

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:14:44 pm »

Yeah, I kinda agree. The seem to not understand it is very easy to make the situation worse.
Hello Hunam

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 10:15:36 pm »

This isn't going to bring about real changes. Africa has people like Kony spread all across it. It's a very troubled continent, and until the societies of Africa are healed, individual warlords are inconsequential.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:39 pm »

From what I've heard, Invisible Children is incredibly sketchy. As in, it's pretty likely most of their money is going to their executives and not anyone who needs it.

Someone I know posted an alternate charity on Facebook, I'll try to find that soon.

They also evidently support arming the Ugandan military. That'll go well.

They're also not well-received in Uganda itself, where supposedly the locals very much distrust them and feel that Invisible Children is very patronizing and using them for commercial gain.
See: http://pomee.tumblr.com/post/18899601760/kony-2012-causing-more-harm-than-good

This organization seems pretty legit, for what it's worth.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:49:53 pm »

Quite nice being in this community, where people actually do research instead of "ZOMG STOP KONY NOW"
Anyway, no humanitarian organization will ever do much good if it doesn't have the interest of the people at heart.
Thank you for bringing this to my attention, I will see to the spread of this information locally, as best I can. Although I feel that I will meet resistance...
...Said Bloxace.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:54:58 pm »

Quite nice being in this community, where people actually do research instead of "ZOMG STOP KONY NOW"

Well, Kony should be stopped, absolutely, but hyper militarizing Uganda even more, through a for-profit company masquerading as a 'charity' is almost the worst way to do it.

Bloxace

• Bay Watcher
  • You must dig deeper!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 11:09:42 pm »

Well, Kony should be stopped, absolutely, but hyper militarizing Uganda even more, through a for-profit company masquerading as a 'charity' is almost the worst way to do it.
I agree completely in that stopping Kony is a thing that should happen soon, but a large country should step in to stop them, and not simply increase the power of a corrupt government...
We should make ourselves heard, along with those who must be protected. They should not be spoken for, but speak for themselves.
I feel we may be at a turning point in history, but for good or worse, we will see.
...Said Bloxace.

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:08 pm »

I heard about this yesterday, but NPR ran a story on the video campaign today and the reporter brought up the fact that the LRA is currently estimated to be less than 200 members, and that the US has about that many military advisers in Uganda right now trying to track them.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 11:20:25 pm »

As I understand it, the Lord's Resistance Army is actually in the Democratic Republic of the Congo these days, and has pretty much abandoned terrorizing Uganda specifically.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 11:22:30 pm »

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/
What MSH said. It's a "charity" soliciting donations for a cause which hasn't needed donations in half a decade.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 11:23:21 pm »

http://ilto.wordpress.com/2006/11/02/the-visible-problem-with-invisible-children/
What MSH said. It's a "charity" soliciting donations for a cause which hasn't needed donations in half a decade.

This, pretty much.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Megaman

• Bay Watcher
  • What is love?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:22 pm »

Nice to see people think the same way I do.
Hello Hunam

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:34:39 pm »

Eh, I've always been leery of anything that even hints of connections to U.S. military involvement and/or for-profit 'charities'. Some of their people trying to sell their shirts and crap to us back in my senior year of high school didn't exactly change my opinion, either.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

nenjin

• Bay Watcher
  • Inscrubtable Exhortations of the Soul
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 11:49:23 pm »

When I saw them on CNN defending the video, my "what are you selling" alarm started going off. There is such a thing as "too slick."

Also, their response to the whole chronology of their efforts is pretty weak. "LRA violence has decreased, because of our efforts."

Uh, no, that would be because of efforts of the dudes behind you, 8 years ago.
Cautivo del Milagro seamos, Penitente.
Quote from: Viktor Frankl
When we are no longer able to change a situation, we are challenged to change ourselves.
Quote from: Sindain
Its kinda silly to complain that a friendly NPC isn't a well designed boss fight.
Quote from: Eric Blank
How will I cheese now assholes?
Quote from: MrRoboto75
Always spaghetti, never forghetti
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 13