Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11

Author Topic: Bloodymine (Succession)(Mountainhome Mandates)  (Read 28776 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodymine (Succession)(Mountainhome Mandates)(v0.34.05)
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2012, 08:22:09 am »

All dwarf paper is the color of adamantine, everyone knows that!

Poor Fishybang.  :(

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2012, 08:50:07 am »

All dwarf paper is the color of adamantine, everyone knows that!

Or microcline :P

Poor Fishybang.  :(

It was my own fault really, I'd designated one of the one-tile-wide streets dug out (channel over open ground), and while this worked without incident on the lowest level (despite the fact that I'd SEEN them fall at least a couple of times), when they dug out the second level, Fishy got stuck on a tile with no connection to the rest of the floor, and dug the channel right beneath his feet. He died, Momuz is slightly injured (but still working).

Since we don't actually have any crafts worth selling, and our stocks of food and booze are already almost at zero, I'm having all sorts of random crap hauled to the depot - seeds, all the garnierite from the city, a few handfuls of gold nuggets, and random other crap. Unfortunately the dorfs don't appear to be very keen on actually hauling all that.

Also, smoothing will definitely not be finished before the end of the year, and I don't know about channelling the streets either. Would it be very impertinent of me to request more time to finish at least the digging and smoothing? I've put all available dwarfpower on it, and despite the fact that we're already turning some useless cretins into engravers, there is still way too much left to smoothe.

Part of the upper level of the city intersects a layer of yellow sand, so that can't be smoothed; fortunately, it covers only part of the top floor of the warehouse and two of the tenement apartments.

wastedlands

• Bay Watcher
  • I've got a lovely bunch of coconuts...
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2012, 09:03:44 am »

Brewster never did say what would happen if you don't make the mandate...

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:26 pm »

Flapping quickly through the halls of Bloodymine a black raven swoops to Strategia's location and lands on Strategia's shoulder. The raven pecks at the strings on it's legs which release a note from Mountainhome directly into Strategia's hands. The grizzly bird leaves as quickly as it arrived.

The note reads: While the mandate is difficult it is to be completed by multiple leaders. Each year we shall nominate the next leader to take the reigns and continue the mandate. However, since no one has applied for the leader position, you shall be granted another year! Thanks for your service to Mountainhome.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 02:52:39 pm by Brewster »

Fishybang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2012, 01:54:17 pm »

Meh just give give my name to a child :P

EDIT: looks like its now a real bloodymine :P
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 01:59:11 pm by Fishybang »
Quote from: AustralianWinter
Rakust finished her design - a skirt called "Clambreaks". I am not touching the woman, ever. And I'm not talking to her either.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 13, 2012, 09:14:06 pm »

*chirp chirp* How's it going Strategia?

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 13, 2012, 09:27:32 pm »

*chirp chirp* How's it going Strategia?

Slowly, RL intervened over the weekend. And there's not much to report since my last update. Everyone's been smoothing walls and Momuz has been diligently removing floors that are no longer needed. Also, I managed to piss off the traders (by offering them only a 20% profit margin! I'm such a cheapskate) they refuse to trade with me, and I can't seize their goods either. Here's hoping our stocks of food and drink will last.....

At least the liaison is still here. I'm ordering iron and pig iron bars (hopefully we can get at least one or two steel axes for our militia), turkeys for meat and eggs, booze, several types of cheese, lungfish, and drums. Lots of drums. Our halls will resound with them. Here's the mountainhome's requests, btw;

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Personal Journal of Strategia Bronzebeak
1st Granite 501

New year! Party!

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Despite outward appearances, I begin this new year with a heavy heart. My dear Fishybang is still dead. Although I have to say, that kid over there does look a lot like him..... she's a cute little one, I have to say. I hope her parents don't mind me calling her Fishybang from now on. They're too busy smoothing the walls of the city. (About that, journal, I am pleasantly surprised. The smoothing is in no way done, but once I put everyone to work, it all went much faster. Momuz has finished all the dangerous digging, which is good. The ground floor is entirely smoothed and I've begun furnishing the apartments. Only doors and beds for now, but the basics are the most important thing, always!)

26th Granite 501

One of the many engravers, Likot, gave birth to a girl. Here's hoping the traders arrive soon with the drums I ordered, maybe that'll drown out the crying.

3rd Slate 501

More useless cretins Migrants! And a lot of them. Blimey.

8th Slate 501

The last of the string of migrants arrived today. We now have a grand total of 57 dwarves, 22 animals, and no booze. Ahahahahahahaha this is going to end badly.
[OOC] - Seriously, holy crap. We just basically quadrupled in size. We barely have any wealth to speak of, no artifacts, and a serious pre-existing shortage of food and drink. And suddenly about 40 new dorfs land in my lap. Whaaat.
We have a second (living) miner, a metalsmith, metalcrafter, jeweler, glassmaker, glazer, a whole bunch of farmers, about a crèche's worth of children, two strand extractors and three animal caretakers. And the rest.

20th Slate 501

Since we now have a humongous population (at least until starvation sets in), and since no-one is actually doing anything, I'm having the city expanded. With all the new sla mini labourers, it should be done fairly quickly.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 10:19:44 pm by Strategia »

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2012, 11:51:39 pm »

I love the idea of mandates!  Can I sign up for a turn please?  As long as I don't have to start until Friday night or later.

Personally, I think succession games are much more fun when there are goals that take collaboration or at least continuation from previous overseers rather than just whatever project you come up with.  Otherwise I have to make my own one-year projects and end up with a 3/4 completed drowning trap or something.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2012, 06:32:05 am »

I love the idea of mandates!  Can I sign up for a turn please?  As long as I don't have to start until Friday night or later.
Done! Thanks for joining up.

[OOC] - Seriously, holy crap. We just basically quadrupled in size. We barely have any wealth to speak of, no artifacts, and a serious pre-existing shortage of food and drink. And suddenly about 40 new dorfs land in my lap. Whaaat.
We have a second (living) miner, a metalsmith, metalcrafter, jeweler, glassmaker, glazer, a whole bunch of farmers, about a crèche's worth of children, two strand extractors and three animal caretakers. And the rest.

Probably because created value of the beautiful new smoothed city? I'm excited to see it's completion!

Added who requested dwarfs to front post too.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 07:12:18 am by Brewster »

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2012, 10:35:04 am »

Probably because created value of the beautiful new smoothed city? I'm excited to see it's completion!

Added who requested dwarfs to front post too.

The thing is, it's not even all that big (15x30x5, most other forts I've seen are easily much bigger than that), and not even all the walls are entirely smoothed yet, I haven't even ordered a single engraving. Only the bottom floor has furniture (just doors and beds and Fishybang's coffin for now). On the other hand, I did issue manager orders for a whole load of doors and beds, which has produced at least several masterpieces. Still, it's only using basic 1-value wood and stone.

Also I now realise I forgot to order flux from the liaison, so even if the caravan does bring iron and pig iron, and we can afford it, we still can't produce steel (unless we dig up flux in the meantime).

Personal Journal of Strategia Bronzebeak
4th Hematite 501

Well, this is..... more than mildly disturbing. Pieces of yak hair and donkey skin have suddenly begun to move on their own. The fortress' residents are terrified and afraid to go outside, but luckily our murdersmith and her apprentice are up to the task of..... killing?..... these ambulatory pieces of offal before they can..... threaten?..... the civilian population.
[OOC] - An off-map necromancer by the name of Kivish Alathedim appears to be responsible for this. And on the 6th, a Human necromancer named Uda Lecitgil joined in the fun.

9th Malachite 501

Even more idio migrants! Whoop de elfing doo. Eleven this time.

15th Timber 501

So the rampaging undead hair creatures have finally stopped rampaging. The trade caravan was spotted on the horizon, and immediately the starving population descended upon the wagons like flies, having been deprived of proper food and drink for several months. Feh, it's their own damn fault for migrating here en masse. At least we now have a fairly sizeable stock of cut gems to trade with.

20th Timber 501

I traded away our gems in return for enough drink to last us a while, and enough food for the time being. I also purchased the iron, pig iron and turkeys I requested. I'm having the turkeys put in the pasture with the geese and the nest boxen, hopefully their eggs will alleviate our food shortage.

[OOC] - The smoothing is all done, but most of the buildings are still empty, it's up to future overseers to make them work. There's still some utility floors that need removing (which is how Fishybang died), most of that is already done but the rest is annoying micromanagement. The next update will be the last one, probably tomorrow or Friday. The biggest problem is that our food production is in no way capable of feeding everyone we have, a large part of the population already spent several months hunting for vermin. (Also the dwarven trader is incredibly stingy, and gets really pissed really fast if you don't offer him at least 20%+ profit. Profiteering capitalist pig.) The random bull and yak hair that gets raised every so often is hugely annoying, but doesn't seem to be able to do much of anything, really; their biggest threat is scaring the population, causing them to scatter in- and outside, suspending jobs and creating a humongous flood of "Urist McIdiot cancels X: Interrupted by yak bull hair" that drowns out everything that's actually important. We had a failed mood, but the second one produced a leather sandal, and the artifacts screen also shows an untitled book by the hair-raising necromancer (har har), so I assume he's lurking somewhere in the caverns, or hiding behind a tree or something topside.
« Last Edit: March 14, 2012, 01:20:42 pm by Strategia »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2012, 06:11:45 pm »

Hahah.
I guess if hair is your only problem, then things aren't so bad.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2012, 06:36:39 pm »

Hahah.
I guess if hair is your only problem, then things aren't so bad.

That, and rampant famine so serious the mountainhome is organising a telethon.

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2012, 06:50:13 pm »

Doors may be the solution to your hair problem.  I've been in the habit of installing doors everywhere since I lost a fortress to a limb-less, tooth-less, eye-less cat husk who just wouldn't die and cancellation spammed the fortress into death-by-dehydration.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2012, 08:10:18 pm »

Doors may be the solution to your hair problem.  I've been in the habit of installing doors everywhere since I lost a fortress to a limb-less, tooth-less, eye-less cat husk who just wouldn't die and cancellation spammed the fortress into death-by-dehydration.

The problem is that the butcher's shop, aside from traders the current primary source of food, as well as the nesting pasture, is outside, while all the starving citizens are inside. And the hairballs can move, unlike, I assume, your limbless ex-cat. There's also the bridge, which is a more permanent way of isolating the fortress. And a surefire way to kill it if I (or the overseer at the time) forget to close it in time.

GalenEvil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Mac-Man Games
« Reply #29 on: March 15, 2012, 02:29:12 am »

Found a slightly more reliable way of getting access to savegames. Will only take ~3 seconds instead of 1.5 hours to download now :D huzzah for finding a good library in this po'dunk rural area! >.> Back to reason for post. I can now play a succession turn! ^,.,^ Please put me down for the one after the next overseer plz. And also please message me when my turn arrives, so that I do not forget to head off to the library to download it.

GalenEvil
Fun is Fun......Done is Done... or is that Done is !!FUN!!?
Quote from: Mr Frog
Digging's a lot like surgery, see -- you grab the sharp thing and then drive the sharp end of the sharp thing in as hard as you can and then stuff goes flying and then stuff falls out and then there's a big hole and you're done. I kinda wish there was more screaming, but rocks don't hurt so I guess it can't be helped.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 11