Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11

Author Topic: Bloodymine (Succession)(Mountainhome Mandates)  (Read 28781 times)

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
Re: Bloodymine (Succession)(Mountainhome Mandates)(v0.34.05)
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2012, 06:37:22 am »

Please put me down for the one after the next overseer plz.

Done, thanks for joining!

ImBocaire

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALL_WORK] [NO_PLAY] [IS_DULL_BOY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2012, 03:55:39 pm »

Sure, why not. Sign me up for a turn and a dwarf, please. Name Imboker, profession preferably some kind of metalsmith (NOT metalcrafter, please).
[STATE_ADJ:GAS:boiling fish woman]

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2012, 08:54:23 am »

Sure, why not. Sign me up for a turn and a dwarf, please. Name Imboker, profession preferably some kind of metalsmith (NOT metalcrafter, please).
Done & done, thanks for joining!

How's it going Strategia?! I just finished my turn on another succession so I should be able to focus time on this one now! MS Paint art? Yup!

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2012, 10:20:36 am »

Can I have a turn and dwarf too? The dwarf would preferably be a weapons/armorsmith. I am only be able to do my turn on weekends, if it's not too much trouble.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
  • Cheese is essential to any successful fortress.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2012, 12:35:37 pm »

How's it going Strategia?! I just finished my turn on another succession so I should be able to focus time on this one now! MS Paint art? Yup!

I'll finish my turn in a couple of hours or so, we have a good stock of booze but food still worries me. All smoothing is done, including on the extension, and now I'm just removing the "scaffold" floors. Tile by tile, to prevent accidents like Fishybang's from happening again. I'm considering spending some of our wood on charcoal and making some iron tools or tin crafts, since I had to trade away our few handfuls of gold nuggets and all our small cut gems (which means most of the gems we've dug up so far). I won't be able to properly finish the rooms themselves, barring at least the lower floor of the tenement housing. We need a LOT of beds and even more doors, let alone other furniture (such as cabinets, weapon racks and armour stands for apartments, chairs and tables for the offices and dining hall), which I couldn't possibly produce in time. I could try, build a whole bunch of random carpenters' and especially masons' workshops outside, enable masonry and carpentry on all the useless cretins, but I'm not sure the workshops would even be built in time.

We do have enough minio citizens to dwarf everyone, so I'll get on that.

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2012, 02:43:35 pm »

Is it to late to be dwarfed? I want to be Urist McChops axedwarf please.

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2012, 05:26:45 pm »

Can I have a turn and dwarf too? The dwarf would preferably be a weapons/armorsmith. I am only be able to do my turn on weekends, if it's not too much trouble.
Added!

Is it to late to be dwarfed? I want to be Urist McChops axedwarf please.

Added you too!

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2012, 05:28:22 pm »

I'll finish my turn in a couple of hours or so, we have a good stock of booze but food still worries me. All smoothing is done, including on the extension, and now I'm just removing the "scaffold" floors. Tile by tile, to prevent accidents like Fishybang's from happening again. I'm considering spending some of our wood on charcoal and making some iron tools or tin crafts, since I had to trade away our few handfuls of gold nuggets and all our small cut gems (which means most of the gems we've dug up so far). I won't be able to properly finish the rooms themselves, barring at least the lower floor of the tenement housing. We need a LOT of beds and even more doors, let alone other furniture (such as cabinets, weapon racks and armour stands for apartments, chairs and tables for the offices and dining hall), which I couldn't possibly produce in time. I could try, build a whole bunch of random carpenters' and especially masons' workshops outside, enable masonry and carpentry on all the useless cretins, but I'm not sure the workshops would even be built in time.

We do have enough minio citizens to dwarf everyone, so I'll get on that.

I'm jacked to see the results!!

UmbrageOfSnow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2012, 05:36:11 pm »

I'm excited for my turn, should be able to start tonight.  I don't mind having to outfit all the bedrooms and stuff, but if we have any plans or schematics or anything, could you either post them in the thread, or put a file in the save or something?

You said the upper couple layers of some of these towers were soil layers?  Do we have any intention of building some rooftop gardens or anything?  That could provide an additional food source.

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2012, 05:58:45 pm »

I'm excited for my turn, should be able to start tonight.  I don't mind having to outfit all the bedrooms and stuff, but if we have any plans or schematics or anything, could you either post them in the thread, or put a file in the save or something?

I've been typing this update while finishing the last few months of the year, just saved it. I'll upload the save and then work on images.

You said the upper couple layers of some of these towers were soil layers?  Do we have any intention of building some rooftop gardens or anything?  That could provide an additional food source.

A small part of the west side of the top floor is sand. There is a layer between the surface and the top of the city, so it should be possible to excavate farms there.

I dwarfed everyone.

Personal Journal of Strategia Bronzebeak
12th Moonstone 501

The liaison came by, said he was getting impatient waiting to talk to me. I considered telling him off for his insolence, informing him that whatever I'm doing, it's incredibly important, but quite frankly we need him. He asked what we wanted in the next caravan. I told him we could use more turkeys, as well as flux stone, iron ore and bars, precious metal ores, refined coal, booze, meat, cheese, fish, and more drums. I didn't manage to get any off of the last caravan because of how much the food cost. I also told him we needed glass and pearlash, to make windows for the buildings.

I had a chair and table taken out of the temporary dining room in the gateway cave, and moved to Brewmaster's apartment, so he can get cracking on processing the long list of furniture orders I placed. Having a beautiful new underground city is certainly great, but we need furniture - doors, beds, chairs, tables, and so on and so forth - to actually call it a city rather than a bunch of dusty empty chambers.

17th Moonstone 501

I'm having the miners extend the central staircase further down, looking for promising stone layers. Hopefully we won't breach a cavern.

19th Moonstone 501

The miners are reporting plenty of cobaltite, but more importantly, marble. We may yet be able to make some steel from the metal we bought after all.

20th Moonstone 501

We..... may have a problem. The mud on our measly farm plot has dried out. Our food stocks are almost completely empty, and even our booze supply is being drained faster than I'd hoped. My mandate is to end in a few months, so I hope the next overseer manages to set up a working food supply. Otherwise, we're doomed.

21st Moonstone 501

Oh right, the liaison. He's just been following me around, which is more than a little creepy if you ask me. Can't say I'll miss having to deal with him. He says the Mountainhome wants us to export tools, meat and plants - no, he's not joking, I asked - but will also pay a slightly increased price for large gems (which is good), stone blocks (not bad), crowns (should be easy once we start smelting tin), handwear and anvils.

22nd Moonstone 501

FINALLY the liaison leaves. Good riddance, I swear I could just feel him staring at my ass the whole time.

11th Opal 501

Work is progressing smoothly. I had some temporary workshops set up outside, and told all the useless cretins to get cracking. This has sped up progress significantly, and I'm proud to say we may actually be able to finish the basic apartments this year, before my mandate ends. What doesn't help is the fact that a giant kea just swooped down out of nowhere and murdered a goose. It's scaring the workers. I'll tell the militia to go kill it, provided it doesn't just fly away. Update: it flew away. The giant keas are now stealing random bits of clothing lying around, for no particular reason.

28th Opal 501

The body of an engraver was found. Drained of blood. This does not bode well.

21st Obsidian 501

A goblin snatcher was spotted! Nix and Urist McChops barely waited long enough for me to yell "GO!" before they ran off in pursuit. Unfortunately, the goblin was already too far away, and managed to escape. Everyone is giving them wide berth now, to avoid making them angry.

23rd Obsidian 501

Another snatcher ran off before the militia could run them down.

1st Granite 502

Spring has arrived, and with it my mandate ends. Although I'm somewhat sad that I won't be the one to finish my magnificent city, I am glad that I won't be the one the citizens will blame if we don't secure a stable food supply next year.

Save file here. The city's layout is as follows;

It should be obvious enough, I hope. This layout is the exact same for 5 z-levels, apart from connecting doors between the top floors of the warehouses and workshop towers. The tenement apartments are simple 1x2 arrangements with just a bed and a door, shoved in a corner behind the warehouse. Brewster currently has a mid-value apartment (with only a bed, table and chair for now, he needs one or two cabinets, possibly a chest, and maybe weapon rack/armour stand), I have the top floor of the high-value apartments. The workshop towers are all occupied; the factory building was supposed to feature 2x2 workshops on every floor, but dwarves apparently don't path through workshops so it's currently 3 per floor with some wasted space. The dining hall is entirely engraved, and all but the top floor has chairs and tables in place. It's a bit of an inefficient layout, but I suddenly forgot whether or not dwarves could path through/over chairs and tables, so I aligned them N-S instead of wall-to-wall E-W. The warehouse floors are all laid out, but only the top floor of the large warehouse is plotted (corpse stockpile, so it doesn't stink up the rest of the city). The central stairway continues down three or four levels, currently ending in some marble layers. The spaces directly over the doors of the stairway and high-value apartments are empty, to smooth otherwise inaccessible walls and dig out the floors afterwards; in the spirit of not making artificial buildings, I left them open so that glass windows can be put in them when we have them. Most of the manager orders are done, but you might want to queue up another bunch of chairs, tables, cabinets and chests, as well as buckets just to be sure. There is a temporary workshop area outside with three carpenters' shops and five masons' shops, and almost all the population is allowed to work at one or both of those, so the orders should get finished quickly enough (I managed to produce at least well over a hundred items of furniture in two months flat).
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 06:26:17 pm by Strategia »

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2012, 08:57:25 pm »

:o oooo I like it!

Strategia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2012, 09:23:21 pm »

:o oooo I like it!

Thank you :D I have to say it was fun planning out a city of soilscrapers, and it felt good to successfully dig it out and smooth it all. I also just now noticed that there are four dead-end roads/alleys, in three directions, which should make expanding the city in this vein easier. The first part of the city I built had the warehouses and workshop towers forming the north wall, I knocked down the wall north of the dining hall to build the extension. That's how future extensions could be done as well, starting from the streets rather than knocking out walls in buildings. Also I personally don't consider the city (and thus the mandate) to be entirely finished, at least until all the apartments are furnished (bed for tenements, bed+cabinet for low-value, at least bed+cabinet+chest for mid-value, at least bed+cabinetx2+chest+armour/weaponstand for high value).

Also I gave repeating orders to smelt garnierite and make nickel crafts, but we don't have coal and I don't know if I set the one wood furnace we have (may need a second or a third one just in case) to repeat on charcoal. And Brewster keeps spamming the announcement screen with "Cancels store owned item: Item inaccessible". Could be that one of the random socks the keas made off with a sock that belonged to him, I dunno. May have to dump him into lava or something to get him to stop :P

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2012, 09:22:32 am »

can't drop me in Magma!!
let's see what you have UmbrageOfSnow

happy st pats day y'all

demonator775

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2012, 10:09:14 am »

A dwarfs favorite holiday. St. Patrick's day

TheWetSheep

• Bay Watcher
  • water covering (entire sheep)
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2012, 07:27:42 pm »

Hey, just in case I forget my turn, can you PM me when it comes please?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 11