Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: idea for a wagon passible minecart trap  (Read 1357 times)

mr_coolface

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
idea for a wagon passible minecart trap
« on: July 11, 2012, 08:17:44 am »

at the pull of a lever you should have minecarts full of lava shooting around in circles in the tunnel leading to your mountain hall. goblins will stand no chance to this machine thrown into the lava or just smashed by a steel cart. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: idea for a wagon passible minecart trap
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2012, 08:41:49 am »

Why steel, wouldn't copper be enough? It's cheaper, and actually denser than steel (recommended on the wiki as the material of choice for metal crossbows due to these reasons). I don't really understand your diagram though.

codyorr

• Bay Watcher
  • Alcohol is how I make DF more !!FUN!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2012, 12:10:26 pm »

Why steel, wouldn't copper be enough? It's cheaper, and actually denser than steel (recommended on the wiki as the material of choice for metal crossbows due to these reasons). I don't really understand your diagram though.

Agreed. Give us a top down view and a side view with z levels marked. I'm not quite picturing this yet.
A rotting horse corpse since 201. !!DRUNK FORTRESS!!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2012, 12:27:54 pm »

The weight thing just gave me a new idea though: if possible, it would be even better to make the carts out of lead, at least if you have it on your map (or rely on imports for all/most of your metal anyway).. It's low value, can't be used for weapons normally, and the only things denser are platinum and gold (and rose gold). As a bonus, you get to make puns about HUGE BULLETS zooming around on your RAILGUN.

Sizik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2012, 12:53:50 pm »

It looks like he's trying to describe a bridge over lava, with minecarts travelling over it, dipping under the lava where they get powered by rollers, and looping back. Invaders would either get hit by the carts or dodge into the lava.
Skyscrapes, the Tower-Fortress, finally complete!
Skyscrapes 2, repelling the zombie horde!

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2012, 01:03:29 pm »

Ok, that *might* work. Until a cart hits something, then stops due to losing momentum. It is then stuck on that tile until either another minecart knocks into it and gets it moving again (but then that minecart will very possible get stuck), or you manually reset (preferably only once everything is dead).

WellBredMutt

• Bay Watcher
  • Go to the Neuro Tower.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2012, 03:31:52 pm »

Er... maybe I'm missing something, but what makes this design wagon-passable? It seems like the carts would just smash into it and... well, probably just stop. And diplomats are perfectly capable of getting minecart'd.

dash27

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2012, 03:42:50 pm »

Can't you just dig out a channel with ramps on either side, traps in the channel and bridge over the whole thing?  Extend the bridge when the traders come, retract the bridge when they leave. (Therefore gobbos have to walk into the trap filled channel.)