Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3]

Author Topic: Needing Advice or Suggestion to have fun with DF on a. . Netbook. .  (Read 5821 times)

slothen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Needing Advice or Suggestion to have fun with DF on a. . Netbook. .
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 03:53:13 pm »

reduce to one cavern, small embark, temperature off, avoid rivers and brooks.  If you want infinite water at surface level, become familiar with aquifers, as they provide infinite water for traps and other uses, as well as (to my knowledge) allowing easy to construct, low-fps-cost water wheels, by having one level of aquifer constantly drain into another.

Otherwise, I would suggest you use the limitations of your netbook to give your fortresses direction in setting goals for yourself.  There's the classic hermit fort, or you can go starting-7 only and atomsmash/drown the rest.  This might lead to ghost-fort but ghosts might cause pathing/lag issues (might no longer be the case).  These forts lend themselves to no-military, airtight defense, and fun with ridiculously effective powerful traps and multi-layer security systems.  They also lend themselves to multi-talented highly trained dwarves, working in fortresses that don't need much space and are designed in meticulous detail because of the low space requirements.

Defense:
Due to fps concerns and lower hauling capacity, i might combine these traps with atomsmashers for quick cleanup.  Dodge-trap where the landing zone is all atomsmashers, or force invaders to path near the magma sea and make them dodge into magma.  You can deal with migrants by blocking their pathing to your fort and putting a meeting zone near an outside atomsmasher.

Migrants:
If you don't want to kill all your migrants, but you also don't want them to a) have a lot of space b) build a large fortress c) have a lot of stuff.  I might suggest prison-fort (actually i think I'm going to do one of these next!)
While adding magma to anything will make it dwarfy, adding the word "magma" to your post does not necessarily make it funny.
Thoughts on water
MILITARY: squad, uniform, training
"DF doesn't mold players into its image - DF merely selects those who were always ready for DF." -NW_Kohaku

superstepa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Needing Advice or Suggestion to have fun with DF on a. . Netbook. .
« Reply #31 on: March 10, 2012, 01:31:33 am »

I have been playing DF on an intel atom for the whole summer
Normal world, no mods

It was around 10-15 FPS but because DF doesn't have any animations the only noticeable change is that dorfs are much slower.
Pages: 1 2 [3]