Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Needing Advice or Suggestion to have fun with DF on a. . Netbook. .  (Read 5824 times)

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
Re: Needing Advice or Suggestion to have fun with DF on a. . Netbook. .
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 01:59:20 pm »

Ah yes, makes sense. Any way to avoid such catastrophe in a fortress already running?
Not really, but i heard that using ramps in the place of up/down stairs makes a huge difference.
(you know the spiral stairs up to the towers in fortresses in adventure mode? you can build stairs like that, but only 2 wide instead of 1)

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:27 pm »

Heh, I never got into adventure mode. But I know what ramps are. Not sure how it should solve any problem though. o:
Teenage Bearded Axelord Turtles
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 02:01:34 pm »

Actually not really.  In fact it's been unreliably proven that doing up+down stairs over all the hallways makes for quick pathing.

At the end, the stair/ramp argument is meaningless.  You'll get infinitely more done by doing traffic designations.

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 02:21:36 pm »

[SPEED:0]  or dfhack fastdwarf
I can't really give any more advice except maybe building in fractals to cut down on enormous open space pathing. I currently play on an ASUS 1215N and 20FPS is normal for me after the first year or two. I do put speed back to normal for fights and kill off whole migrant waves if I falsely suspect werebeasts or vampires.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 02:29:38 pm »

I'm a ramp user myself, but it's not really for FPS reasons that I favour them over stairs. For me it comes down to:

1) Wagons can use ramps but not stairs
2) Ramps need less steps than stairs so I feel like dwarves get places faster
3) If ever you get knocked unconscious, you only ever fall one z-level (if that) instead of the entire staircase height
4) In the case of constructions, you remove ramps from below, whereas stairs need removal from above to avoid an instant mini-cave-in
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

wiselyshen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 02:43:09 pm »

Thanks for the feedback everyone!  :)

I've been using ramps as well, but still any of my fort can't last more than 3-4 years.

Q: does Fortress Defense Mod makes the fps run much slower?
Cause without that mod I might not be getting any siege before my fps drops to the not enjoyable state for me.
I've even tried the no cavern layer and personal no dig rule, ve built a fortress using the gather clay trick, and playing just on top layers relying on bone crafts, yeah I didn't produce enough wealth to keep the immigrants coming, well the fort dies anyway on 20 fps or so when I managed to build the 5th story of the fort.

Maybe it was the number of items and degrading clothes, also the corpses and bodies, i think masterwork mod will help me with this! Am tryin now~
Dwarf cancels construction of Wall: Creature occupying site

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 02:47:01 pm »

I wouldn't count on Masterworks to speed FPS.  That mod seemed to directly say "Cut out all the fluff animals!" and then "Added 170 new animals and plants and trees!" all at once.

I've been half-ass working on a "Minecraft-esque" mod.  Namely, reduce all the soil layers to "dirt", "sand", "clay", and "fire clay".  No more peat, or sandy peat, or sandy clay.  And just make "stone" and remove like 90% of animal types and clothing and everything.  Basically, barebones it to the point where it's still playable DF, just keeps things simple.

AWdeV

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 02:53:18 pm »

Modding DF to be more like minecraft? Isn't it more efficient to, y'know, play minecraft instead? :o
Urists in a half shell (Turtle Power)

wiselyshen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 02:55:49 pm »

Modding DF to be more like minecraft? Isn't it more efficient to, y'know, play minecraft instead? :o

Good idea but my crappy netbook can't handle the current version of minecraft aswell thanks to the Intel Graphic Acellerator bullshit.  :P

wiselyshen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 03:03:08 pm »

I wouldn't count on Masterworks to speed FPS.  That mod seemed to directly say "Cut out all the fluff animals!" and then "Added 170 new animals and plants and trees!" all at once.

I've been half-ass working on a "Minecraft-esque" mod.  Namely, reduce all the soil layers to "dirt", "sand", "clay", and "fire clay".  No more peat, or sandy peat, or sandy clay.  And just make "stone" and remove like 90% of animal types and clothing and everything.  Basically, barebones it to the point where it's still playable DF, just keeps things simple.

True, I'm overwhelmed by the massive mod options, this might hurts the fps more instead of fixing it. Idk, but I'll try disabling anything I don't need.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 03:04:19 pm »

That's basically what it comes down to.  Snip out anything you don't really need and FPS will rise for it.  You need booze, dwarves to drink the booze, and axes with which to be drunk.  The rest is cosmetic.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 03:04:35 pm »

I play, mod and work on a netbook. ;)

It is the sole reason I started my mod, to help FPS. The only problem is that I included many fancy things that need temperature ON by now, so it balances each other out, more or less.
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 03:15:16 pm »

Nano Fortress allows 1x1 embarks, if you dont mind being a bit cramped.

Psieye

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 03:24:40 pm »

To my knowledge, the mod comes with a "switch off bits you don't want" startup interface so you can easily cut out all the 'fluff animals' and declare "don't include anything new".
Military Training EXP Analysis
Congrats, Psieye. This is the first time I've seen a derailed thread get put back on the rails.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 03:31:04 pm »

Until Toady gets really enthusiastic about jump point searches or such we are basically working with A* (I don't think DF does anything like swamps searching, aside from the little preprocessing thing that excludes cells you can't path to- basically closed off rooms/caverns,) so to optimize the pathfinding for that you want to keep most of the jobs close to each other, not have too much wide open floorspace, but also keep hallways wide enough for the dwarves to step around each other if they bump into each other heading opposite directions (with the size of fort I expect here I doubt you'll need 3 wide.)

The best pathfinding isn't going to let that run a much bigger fort though so don't expect anything too dramatic.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 03:33:29 pm by Shoku »
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2] 3