Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: I am considering a dfterm terminal server  (Read 15898 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I am considering a dfterm terminal server
« Reply #30 on: March 09, 2012, 06:46:10 pm »

It wouldn't be my ideas, per se.  It'd be a sadistic RNG.  Mostly things like "Load a file.  Find an entry.  Locate size token.  Make 2x larger.  Save."  No idea what would happen each time it's run, and could have different difficulty levels.  It'd accept a "difficulty" input, and do 5*D changes to a file, with options like "Change size randomly 75%-150% n times, where n is Difficulty".  So like, size of 100 could end up 100*.75*.8*1.2*.9*1.50 for a total result of 97.2.  Although it could vary from 23~760 depending on how wild the RNG landed.  If that makes sense.  The "difficulty" would be "potential for change".

Need to get familiar with python...

NINJA: I could send the program to your wierd, and if you could figure some way to allow a user to run the program but not upload new programs that'd work.  Otherwise I understand, and this could easily be run from my side and the changes uploaded.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 09, 2012, 06:57:55 pm »

The problem is that an open remote terminal for anonymous access could execute dangerous programs if they can hammer out the root password.

Things like parted, dd, modprobe, shutdown, apt-get, etc. (Sudo dd if=/dev/urandom of=/dev/sda1 is not something I want to experience because somebody felt like pulling a prank.)

I realize it would most likely be used with dfhack, and the randomizer, and I consider the bay12 community to be reasonably trustworthy, but I simply won't risk chinese hackers going for the win.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 09, 2012, 07:06:29 pm »

Are we going to get those changes happening once or on daily basis? You could just send altered raws.

Also, wierd, you could host some of the community forts, Ardentdikes for example desperately needs a strong computer.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 09, 2012, 07:09:59 pm »

The changes could be made as often as desired.  My ideal game usage would be "Every year, or every two years if you're playing softcore."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 09, 2012, 07:17:45 pm »

Depending on how this works out, I might consider it.  I really like the idea girlinhat has though.

I was thinking a modified succession game rules, where instead of unilateral control, the new gameshow host gets the sftp credentials to go poke in the raws every dwarf year.

As for the difficulty real expression girlinhat has in mind..... fair d6 roll, 1-6. Each time.

What I could look into is FS security on sudo for that limited user. If I can be sure that the terminal can't be used to escallate privs and pwn my system to send out spam, I might tentatively open one. (I could disable list, view, and execute on sudo for that user. That way they couldn't call it.  Coupled with noexec on the homedir of that limited user, no malicious binaries could be pushed through the sftp and executed with the terminal.  It would require lots of research and sandboxed testing on some of my other systems before I would do it though. The risk really is that great.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 09, 2012, 07:31:36 pm »

Depending on how this works out, I might consider it.  I really like the idea girlinhat has though.

I was thinking a modified succession game rules, where instead of unilateral control, the new gameshow host gets the sftp credentials to go poke in the raws every dwarf year.

As for the difficulty real expression girlinhat has in mind..... fair d6 roll, 1-6. Each time.

What I could look into is FS security on sudo for that limited user. If I can be sure that the terminal can't be used to escallate privs and pwn my system to send out spam, I might tentatively open one. (I could disable list, view, and execute on sudo for that user. That way they couldn't call it.  Coupled with noexec on the homedir of that limited user, no malicious binaries could be pushed through the sftp and executed with the terminal.  It would require lots of research and sandboxed testing on some of my other systems before I would do it though. The risk really is that great.

*2 months later, the following statement appears in the "Final Words" thread:*

"OK, I think I got this set up right, there's NO WAY the chinese hackers can get in now!"
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:36 pm »

No fucking lie there.  I am extremely hesitant to even consider opening a remote terminal prompt... but at the same time... dfhack clean command.... and endless requests to run it while I am over 50 miles away from the box at work....

You can't please everyone all the time. That is the absolute truth. (Sigh)

*edit*

I might be able to automate running dfhack's clean, clear ownership, and bucket cleaning commands with a shellscript I leave running though.  Every 8 hours perhaps.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 07:41:50 pm by wierd »

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 09, 2012, 07:49:14 pm »

Actually DFHack can accept hotkeys now.  You can keybind a DFHack command to any key.  I have no idea how well that will work through DFTerm, but it could allow cleaning to be hotkeyed, if it works.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 09, 2012, 07:58:22 pm »

It's worth looking into. I will find out more tonight as I get things set up.

(It will be fun to telnet into the upstairs dfterm session on my downstairs htpc, and watch people have !!fun!! On the 1080i bigscreen. Especially with the "added !fun!" Value-added rules in play.

If dfhack can be bound, and dfterm can pass the hotkey, that will pretty much kill the need for a remote terminal prompt, and I will feel much better.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 09, 2012, 09:13:54 pm »

It's worth looking into. I will find out more tonight as I get things set up.

(It will be fun to telnet into the upstairs dfterm session on my downstairs htpc, and watch people have !!fun!! On the 1080i bigscreen. Especially with the "added !fun!" Value-added rules in play.

If dfhack can be bound, and dfterm can pass the hotkey, that will pretty much kill the need for a remote terminal prompt, and I will feel much better.

1080i. Psh. I play on a 46in 1080p ;-)

Seen the new 4k tv's coming out? 4 times the rez of a 1080p... Cuz Blu-Ray doesn't look amazing already ;-)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 09, 2012, 09:28:55 pm »

Hey!

My POS bigscreen is 4 years old, and I got it on clearance for 600$.  (Back when a 720p hdtv cost over 1000$.)  It's good enough for me, and I don't have small penis syndrome where I need the latest and greatest to feel masculine. :)

(Besides.. I doubt progressive scan is going to improve an ascii happyface's appearance.) ;)

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 09, 2012, 09:29:53 pm »

Somehow I managed to multipost.

Fixing it.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 09:32:51 pm by wierd »

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 09, 2012, 09:34:36 pm »

Hey!

My POS bigscreen is 4 years old, and I got it on clearance for 600$.  (Back when a 720p hdtv cost over 1000$.)  It's good enough for me, and I don't have small penis syndrome where I need the latest and greatest to feel masculine. :)

(Besides.. I doubt progressive scan is going to improve an ascii happyface's appearance.) ;)

Lol, I run it at 720p cuz it makes everything waaay too small at full rez :p Got mine on clearance 2 years ago, thankfully pricing on everything had dropped considerably compared to when you got yours, lol.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 09, 2012, 09:42:58 pm »

Mine barely fits in my entertainment center (literally, a sheet of paper could not be inserted between the bezel and the sides of the window), so I doubt I will be replacing it any time soon.  I also don't use blueray anyway, because I am half blind and nearsighted as hell. The resolution increase is only visible 3ft from the screen! LOL!

I use the wii to stream netflix, and don't mind the 480p max graphics at all. I am not made of money, and can't justify big expenses without a legitimate reason. (I only bought my i7 to replace the 9 year old athlon xp system with ddr1 memory, because it actually, physically died when the cpu fan stopped while I was at work, and died from runaway heating.)

Just don't talk trash about my old hdtv. Its good enough, and that's good enough for me. :)

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 09, 2012, 09:46:38 pm »

Just don't talk trash about my old hdtv. Its good enough, and that's good enough for me. :)

Well said, good sir. Well said.

Now if I can just figure out what to replace on mine to get remote controls working again..... ;-)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4