Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: I am considering a dfterm terminal server  (Read 15847 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I am considering a dfterm terminal server
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2012, 02:43:06 pm »

I have no idea what that is :D  Except to say "free to play demon" which conjures more naughty thoughts than otherwise.

...I think I'm a little perv.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2012, 02:46:07 pm »

Ftp == file transfer protocol.

It is as old as the internet, if not older. Its about as old as sendmail.

It let's remote users manipulate a remote filesystem. 

wypie

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 09, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »

I will be playing as soon as I figure out how to play use DFterm xD

mngrif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 03:23:58 pm »

First post for me here. I have refrained from signing up so that I wouldn't be tempted to reply to all the posts, but, well, my expertise is needed here.

I'm a linux system admin!

To fix your broken packages, run dpkg-reconfigure on the ones giving you trouble. This will fix most any problem, and if it does not, look through the manpage for dpkg to see how to forcibly remove stuff from the database. Debian-based distros absolutely never need a reinstall to fix a broken package. There's always a way to --force something to happen.

Regarding your need for file transfers, DO NOT use a ftpd. Having one running and open to the internet is like saying "here, crack in to my computer! Please!" Instead just use the normal sftp provided by sshd. All the major ftp clients support it, such as FileZilla which is what I use. In Debian it is turned on by default, and I'm sure in Ubuntu it is too, though you may need to install sshd itself first. I only deal with linux as a server so I'm not up to date on the details of 'desktop' installs.

Hope this helps, dfterm is mighty awesome :)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 03:35:55 pm »

This is why I love the DF forums.  Someone says "Hey I want to host fuckin' multiplayer DF but my linux box is broken."  Next guy is like "Hey I'm a Linux System Admin."

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 03:45:25 pm »

Fantastic!  I will try it tonight when I get off work.  It it means I don't have to suffer the indignity of getting b43 running again, (really, who makes network cards that DON'T have the radio firmware, as well.... firmware?! Besides stupid broadcom, that is. I should never have given away my ralink...)

The issue with ftpd and the "oh hai china! You want haz fileserver!? I has anonymouz port 21!" Is exactly why I was looking for suggestions.  Http push is too cranky to deal with the large files in a df save folder, and the more modern secure ftp variants aren't all well supported by all platforms. That's why I wanted a suggestion.

Regardless, I was going to put dfterm and its limited user account's home folders on a completely seperate volume with a symbolic link mountpoint, and heavy filesystem restrictions.  The http server and the sftp server will also run under this limited user.

mngrif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 04:01:46 pm »

You should have never given away that ralink :)

Yeah last night at a glorious 4:40 AM I was woken up by alarms that one of my clusters was down. It was a malicious scan originating from, you guessed it, China. Everything was still going but they just couldn't keep up with the thousands of requests per second. So don't use FTP! No need for HTTP either since anyone involved will have sftp access. Just set up a user for dfterm, set it's shell to be nologin, and give it a nice long password. Any more security than that is a waste of time, though I always suggest using fail2ban if you're going to have any ports open at all. I wish I had been using it on that cluster last night...

As far as FS restrictions go, nodev and noexec ought to be enough. Really, you won't get much more secure than the above without using jails or similar.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 04:48:10 pm »

Posting to watch/participate! I'd love to join in, what would I need to know about dfterm? The best I can do in terms of 3rd parties is dfreveal and prospector...
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 05:10:03 pm »

To be clear:

Dfterm runs on my server.

Clients connect to it using a standard terminal program, like telnet.

The copy of dwarf fort runs on my server. This is why I mentioned it was a beefy i7. On the client end, you just need a terminal program, and enough oomph in your network connection. A cheesy netbook will have no trouble. (Even a smartphone could probably connect!)

For file access, as per above, I will run sftpd. You connect to the sftp serverlet running on my system using an ftp client, such as the one built into your browser. You can then view, download, or upload files.

Basically, its df running on a remote server that you can connect to and remote control, with some chat features.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 05:11:09 pm »

I'll join in as well, although I'll mainly be a sit back, learn, and chat kinda player. Might take control to run a small project on the side, or something, if no one else is using it, but otherwise I'll just hang around;-)
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 06:18:58 pm »

I've been debating an idea for a while now.  It's basically a program that when run, will scan through the raws, pick a few entries, and modify them in secret ways, designed specifically to run on an already-existing world.  You might run the program and have chicken double in size, or plump helmets might start causing finger blisters, or raven become explosive.

The whole project would be "how long can you survive with these changes?"  Your main food source might become inedible, steel might become similar to tin, cat leather may be 100x more expensive.  It would rely a lot on redundant systems and a lot of backup plans - specifically designed so that no single change could kill your outright.  You'd never have a situation where no crops were edible, for instance.

This seems like it would be hilarious to run in multiplayer.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 09, 2012, 06:25:09 pm »

You would need to sanitize your "random" outputs to make sure you didn't break something.  Changing graze amounts on already genned worlds has led to mystery "game crashes when humans show up" type bugs, for example.

What I could do, is set the sftp daemon to require a user/pass to modify the filesystem, and pass the keys to a gameshow host, who gets to set the rules with the raws prior to worldgen.

The gameshow host gets reelected several times as the game proceeds, and the login credentials change accordingly, allowing for the "secret fun", if that's how you want to roll.

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 06:27:26 pm »

Hmm, yeah.  Think I'd leave grazer tags along for the most part.  Adding grazer to an animal might kill it and that'd be interesting, but the idea isn't to just crush the player.  It's to torture.  It'd mainly be concerned with sizes, growth times, limb number, edibility and syndromes, etc.

ab00

• Bay Watcher
  • !!Computer!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 06:35:34 pm »

I'd be willing to get in on the dfterm thing, and would find Girlinghat's or weird's idea interesting (and quite !!fun!!)
Suicides do not count towards das Fuhrers kill score.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 09, 2012, 06:40:41 pm »

I draw the line at supplying a remote console prompt. That just begs for abuse. Even a limited user can escallate privs, and I don't want to come home from work to find my sistem cranking out penis enlarger spam.

As such, an "auto script" that does the modifications directly is not something I feel comfortable hosting.  Passing the keys to the fortress, so to speak, is a reasonable compromise.

Girlinhat could still run her script locally, then patch the remote raws to match after saving.

I would be down with that.

(It is not that I don't trust girlinhat. I don't trust the friendly portscanning hackers from china.)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4