Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Lycanthropic Undead plague.  (Read 9409 times)

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Lycanthropic Undead plague.
« on: March 09, 2012, 07:24:55 pm »

I've been playing around in a terrifying biome fort, and as the time goes on, the area outside the fort is getting more and more filled with undead-whatever-failed-to-make-it-inside.   

Last night, I got a visit from a were-chameleon.   It came in, tore apart a few zombie-dwarves and zombie-pets, reverted to a snake-woman, and turned to head home before being mobbed by some more zombie-dwarves.

A while (a lunar cycle?) later, I get a message about "so and so has turned into a were-chameleon".  I go look, and one of the zombies (standing next to the (still-dead) corpse of the snake woman has become a were-chameleon.

The new were-chameleon runs off, and tears apart a few undead, and then reverts back to being an undead dwarf.

Another lunar cycle goes by... and I get 3 notifications.   Next cycle.. 5.   

I think the terrifying biome is living up to it's name  8)

I wonder if the zombies can transmit the lycanthropy while in non-were form...

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
Re: Lycanthropic Undead plague.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2012, 07:28:34 pm »

This. Is. Awesome. I'm about to do a evil embark. I'll tell you if I get a similar phenomenon in my save.

DungeonJerk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2012, 07:37:37 pm »

Dammit, I never get any FUN! like that. Oh sure, I got Haunted Ash thralls. But I never get eyeball ground, or Were-Creatures, and for some reason, even though I upped the Megabeast count, those jerks haven't come a knocking.

Though maybe it has to do with my amount of Dwarves.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 07:50:39 pm »

Sounds like you need to have the battlements patrolled by marksdwarves in order to keep the undead at bay. Also, magma. Toss the bodies into the incinerator.

Its the only way to be sure.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 08:01:50 pm »

Sounds like you need to have the battlements patrolled by marksdwarves in order to keep the undead at bay. Also, magma. Toss the bodies into the incinerator.

Its the only way to be sure.

While it would be useful training for the marksdwarves (once I have them), its largely a waste of ammunition, as they all just get back up after a bit.

There are a few atomsmashers under construction though, as the undead population is already approaching 100, and I'm just entering the second summer.  If not for piece of mind + security sake, I plan to smash some of them for sake of framerate :P

Linkeron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My FB page
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 08:11:59 pm »

This is by far one of the coolest things I've ever read.

I don't mean just on this board, or even on the internet. I mean EVER.

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2012, 08:14:44 pm »

Do lycanthropic corpses reanimate? If not, you can actually permanently kill the undead, if you kill them in were creature form.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2012, 09:45:18 pm »

Interesting... I would assume all corpses reanimate...

New question: Would a were-corpse change back into something else, or be permanently a were-corpse if it died in creature form?
Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2012, 10:08:48 pm »

So you're having... a were-zombie spiral? This is new.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Frogwarrior

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2012, 10:10:42 pm »

It would probably stay dead.
Didn't someone have a problem with lycanthropic undead where if you cut the arms off a lycanthrope and the arms were raised, the lunar cycle would cause them to regenerate into a whole creature whose limbs could be chopped off again ad infinitum? That sounded awesome.
Lately, I'm proud of MAGMA LANDMINES:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91789.0
And been a bit smug over generating a world with an elephant monster that got 87763 sentient kills.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=104354.0

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2012, 10:29:47 pm »

Do lycanthropic corpses reanimate? If not, you can actually permanently kill the undead, if you kill them in were creature form.

They reanimate.   And every time they change due to the lycanthropy (to were-chameleon form, and back to undead), they heal all their wounds.

Up to 7 were-chameleon zombies now, 5 dwarves, the original snakewoman, and a human from one of the caravans. 

Their last cycle didnt go so well for them, all the dwarven were chameleons got mauled when a zombie camel went martial on their asses. 

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2012, 10:32:36 pm »

Up to 9 now.   One of the zombie peregrine falcon men lost his hand in a were-attack.   Said hand just changed into a full-blown were.

Not only are they contagious... but they can clone themselves...  :o

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2012, 10:43:29 pm »

Up to 9 now.   One of the zombie peregrine falcon men lost his hand in a were-attack.   Said hand just changed into a full-blown were.

Seems like you got yourself a planaria infestation. And they can hide too.
lets hope you get another were-zombie species to contribute to the pool. once there are two varieties, the varieties will fight eachother, and multiply.

If you are going to crush them, make sure to keep at least one were-zombie alive to unleash when the time is right.

On that note, I have a question for you. Does each evil region have only one type of weather? Or does the weather change? So far I haven't found a region that raised dead yet. My current region just rains the mucus equivalent of tear gas. Will it ever get another type of weather? or some sort of "raise dead" event?   

kaijyuu

• Bay Watcher
  • Hrm...
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2012, 10:49:32 pm »

Oh dear.

I think this is the point where you pull out the magma doomsday devices.
Quote from: Chesterton
For, in order that men should resist injustice, something more is necessary than that they should think injustice unpleasant. They must think injustice absurd; above all, they must think it startling. They must retain the violence of a virgin astonishment. When the pessimist looks at any infamy, it is to him, after all, only a repetition of the infamy of existence. But the optimist sees injustice as something discordant and unexpected, and it stings him into action.

Draxxalon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2012, 11:02:25 pm »

Seems like you got yourself a planaria infestation. And they can hide too.
lets hope you get another were-zombie species to contribute to the pool. once there are two varieties, the varieties will fight eachother, and multiply.

If you are going to crush them, make sure to keep at least one were-zombie alive to unleash when the time is right.

On that note, I have a question for you. Does each evil region have only one type of weather? Or does the weather change? So far I haven't found a region that raised dead yet. My current region just rains the mucus equivalent of tear gas. Will it ever get another type of weather? or some sort of "raise dead" event?

There's a couple threads kicking around here about the Evil Things (tm) you can get.   Each biome has it's own unique set of them.   My current one only raises the dead.  No funky rain, mists or anything else yet in the two and half years.  One of the guy's I work with is in one that raises the dead, and constantly rains elf blood :)
Pages: [1] 2