Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]

Author Topic: I am considering a dfterm terminal server  (Read 15895 times)

Girlinhat

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:large ears]
    • View Profile
Re: I am considering a dfterm terminal server
« Reply #45 on: March 09, 2012, 10:19:53 pm »

320p.  Like a boss.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 09, 2012, 10:22:49 pm »

So, you have a high end crt, like a scart? LOL.

480p is about the lowest you can go and still claim hdtv. :P

DuckBoy2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 10, 2012, 01:24:55 am »

You all have inspired me to finally try out multiplayer dwarf fortress.  So far I failed at the multiplayer, but I managed to telnet into a server listed on the dwarf fortress multiplayer steam group.  I'm pretty sure I'm not rendering all the graphics correctly, since a whole bunch of things just didn't appear.  The server also appeared to be using some kind of reveal all tool, meaning I was ridiculously lost. 

I should note that I wasn't getting announcements, my k key descriptions were blank sometimes, probably whenever there was an unrenderable character.  I should also note that I usually play with fresh mac os x installs off the website, no raws editing, no external tools at all.  I'm used to seeing blue water, and red magma instead of the 0-7/7 deal.  Thats why I was quite impressed when I saw a red tower of 7/7s at ground level.  The fort had 250 dwarves, 80 idling about, plump helmet farms all around, but what I was most impressed by was this incredible magma pump! 

10 zlevels deep.. wait, how did they get magma here without a pump stack... wait... why are the red 7s mixing with the blue 7s... Hey its an obsidian farm!  Incredible!  Wait... Shouldn't that be making obsidian...?  Why does my idle count keep dropping?  Hold on, those blue 7s... those are water right... and those red 7s...?

OH MY GOD ITS ALL BLOOD EVERYWHERE THERES BLOOD EVERYWHERE THEY'RE ALL DYING EVERYONE IS DEAD OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!?  HOW DID THIS HAPPEN NO!?  I quickly paused and logged off.  Best of luck to yall :)

Server was apcguy.dnsd.me 8000 for people interested. 

Search steam dwarf fortress group and join up for other cool stuff, like how to install fonts and avoid destroying months of other peoples work like I do 

rtg593

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 10, 2012, 01:47:22 am »

You all have inspired me to finally try out multiplayer dwarf fortress.  So far I failed at the multiplayer, but I managed to telnet into a server listed on the dwarf fortress multiplayer steam group.  I'm pretty sure I'm not rendering all the graphics correctly, since a whole bunch of things just didn't appear.  The server also appeared to be using some kind of reveal all tool, meaning I was ridiculously lost. 

I should note that I wasn't getting announcements, my k key descriptions were blank sometimes, probably whenever there was an unrenderable character.  I should also note that I usually play with fresh mac os x installs off the website, no raws editing, no external tools at all.  I'm used to seeing blue water, and red magma instead of the 0-7/7 deal.  Thats why I was quite impressed when I saw a red tower of 7/7s at ground level.  The fort had 250 dwarves, 80 idling about, plump helmet farms all around, but what I was most impressed by was this incredible magma pump! 

10 zlevels deep.. wait, how did they get magma here without a pump stack... wait... why are the red 7s mixing with the blue 7s... Hey its an obsidian farm!  Incredible!  Wait... Shouldn't that be making obsidian...?  Why does my idle count keep dropping?  Hold on, those blue 7s... those are water right... and those red 7s...?

OH MY GOD ITS ALL BLOOD EVERYWHERE THERES BLOOD EVERYWHERE THEY'RE ALL DYING EVERYONE IS DEAD OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE!?  HOW DID THIS HAPPEN NO!?  I quickly paused and logged off.  Best of luck to yall :)

Server was apcguy.dnsd.me 8000 for people interested. 

Search steam dwarf fortress group and join up for other cool stuff, like how to install fonts and avoid destroying months of other peoples work like I do

... Was that an advertisement disguised as a funny story...

Is it because light travels faster than sound,
that people appear bright until you hear them speak?

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 10, 2012, 02:06:06 am »

Regardless, I am on my way home now.

Will attempt to fix the python package, and then build dfterm.

If I am lucky, I could get it going tonight. Tomorrow I have vehicle related plans... so wish me luck.

mngrif

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 10, 2012, 02:30:19 am »

Regardless, I am on my way home now.

Will attempt to fix the python package, and then build dfterm.

If I am lucky, I could get it going tonight. Tomorrow I have vehicle related plans... so wish me luck.

If you are worried about China (and you should be, their asshattery has woken me up from many nice slumbers (malicious scans usually, nothing James Bond-ish)) you should look in to banning entire countries (subnets) in either iptables or /etc/hosts.deny. They work in different ways, namely that not every program honors hosts.deny, but sshd does. Everything honors iptables because that happens in the kernel.

There are websites that will generate scripts to do this for you, I'll link one if I find it again.

Also, I can probably hook you up with a rsync backup script if you need or want such a thing. Proper backups trump any and all cracking attempts.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 10, 2012, 04:58:42 am »

This is why I love the DF forums.  Someone says "Hey I want to host fuckin' multiplayer DF but my linux box is broken."  Next guy is like "Hey I'm a Linux System Admin."
Sig'd (in sigtext post)

EDIT:

Sooo...
Mayby you could edit your OP so people can quickly see what we got here already.
Im getting kind of excited to try this.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 05:10:50 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 10, 2012, 05:24:43 am »

I have successfully built DFTerm2 for my box.  I just did a simple test run using my local accounts. Seems to be working.

I am going to create a DFTerm user account now.

(DF was screaming fast in TEXT mode....)

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]