Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Comparison of Masterwork, Genesis, Fortress Defense, Civilization Forge  (Read 6322 times)

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

I play civ forge, and due to the amount of time involved to make a fort and worry of loss of fun with a new mod, I haven't played the others.  Can we get a discussion on the merits of the varying mods?

I can talk about Civ Forge.  It has tons of new civ's that lay siege upon you.  It has extra ores, trees, plants (which I could care less about, +for Masterwork on that), but it has more weapons (fun with that!).

I do like the idea of Masterwork getting rid of stuff like toy's and clothes for enemies (especially if they add little value to the game).

Anyone else care to share?

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile

Meph is pretty active on the forums, so he could give you a better idea than me. Also, you can include Fortress Defence inside Masterwork.

Masterwork is basically a big expansion on DF, with extra challenges and expanded late-game material to fight them, as well as a myriad of things to choose from mid-game. Everything is expanded on in the mod, and basically everything important can be improved. There are also new buildings, items and civs, three of which are cave civs (CAUTION: THEY WILL RAPE YOU SIDEWAYS) and one evil-friendly (the Drow, with expensive but valuable and otherwise unobtainable wares).

The others are all enemies, and are basically unique in every. The goblins are changed into kobolds +1, and will only ambush your base (not siege). They also [TRAP_AVOID] and pick locks (I think), just like kobolds. Orcs are basically old-goblins +1, with [ENRAGE], improved weapons, armour and materials. Troops are also way more varied; there's even a shield-tank. The undead are swarms of unarmed, unarmoured pricks that are hard to kill and will pile on your military dwarfs. Best defence is a big trap, like a flooding chamber or a strong military. Warlocks have spells which will (unless you're well prepared) murder the everloving shit out of your melee, but come completely unarmoured. Best defence is crossbows (or guns!). Frost Giants are made out of armour and are as hard to kill as FBs made out of metal. Automatons are robots, so basically ranged versions of Frosties.

There are a bunch of new materials and lot of uses for them, but sometimes it's a bit convoluted. Sometimes it's hard to tell what material is better then what, what their use is, and how to make it. For example, there's cobalt, mithiril, stainless steel, bloodsteel (or something of the like, from the Drow) rose gold and a bunch of others. You probably won't end up using most of them before hitting adamantine though. You can also make slade weapons (and I don't know how that fares for sharp weapons or armour), and a combination of slade+candy which I assume kicks all the ass to ever exist, ever.

The mod overhauls a lot of stuff from vanilla, including various FPS increasing stuff. There's lots of new armours, weapons and trap weapons, all of which can be improved with various plates, runes and mechanisms. You can make more stuff our of rock. A bigger noble system too. Too many stuff to elaborate on, read through the Masterwork manual for everything.

I played Civ Forge a long time ago, and they might've added more since then, but Meph's Masterwork is way bigger. Coupled with the fact that you can customize nearly every option and addition in the mod (and Fortress Defence), I'd go for this mod.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Yeah, I turned that off, plus the arsenic poisoning from smelting. Pissed me off something fierce.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 04:03:24 am by Mitchewawa »
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Imp

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

I've nothing to share about those mods, save that they're surely worthy.  I do wonder why you limited it to just those four mods though, instead of comparing good mods period?
For every trouble under the sun, there is an answer, or there is none.
If there is one, then seek until you find it.
If there is none, then never ever mind it.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

Meph is pretty active on the forums, so he could give you a better idea than me. Also, you can include Fortress Defence inside Masterwork.

Masterwork is basically a big expansion on DF, with extra challenges and expanded late-game material to fight them, as well as a myriad of things to choose from mid-game. Everything is expanded on in the mod, and basically everything important can be improved. There are also new buildings, items and civs, three of which are cave civs (CAUTION: THEY WILL RAPE YOU SIDEWAYS) and one evil-friendly (with expensive but valuable and otherwise unobtainable wares). The others are all enemies, and are basically unique in every. The goblins are changed into kobolds +1, and will only ambush your base (not siege).

More to come pending post edit.

Also, im going to ninja your edit, watch out whit mining coal veins, your miners will basicly suffocate due to fake coal veins that give them lung necrosis >.>

EDIT2:
@Mitch mayby they would actually be a bit fun if you could have some actual antivenom/medicin.
If that would be implented, i might even make a wide array of diseases and compose them into a mod.
(ebola, HIV, malaria, you know the drill)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 06:13:20 am by miauw62 »

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

thistleknot

• Bay Watcher
  • Escaped Normalized Spreadsheet Berserker
    • View Profile

I've nothing to share about those mods, save that they're surely worthy.  I do wonder why you limited it to just those four mods though, instead of comparing good mods period?

I meant no disrespect to any other mods, those are the just the ones I'm interested/know about.  I know there's a my little pony mod, didn't mention that.  I'm not sure what other mods are out there that I should have mentioned.

Di

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

your miners will basicly suffocate due to fake coal veins that give them lung necrosis >.>
EDIT2:
@Mitch mayby they would actually be a bit fun if you could have some actual antivenom/medicin.
You can use vamps for coal mining.
If that would be implented, i might even make a wide array of diseases and compose them into a mod.
Even lack of antidotes doesn't stop Meph from adding diseases. Beware.

Also,  thistleknot, you've forgot to mention Legends of Forlorn Realms and Regeneration.

All those are nearly the same in terms of gameplay adding a lot of more crap to filter through. I'd say it's more of your personal feeling about particular author and his ideas and some minor flavoring. Like Deon made nearly a dozen of castes, Nahiril (FLR author) - around 6, Meph has added only golems; LFR has hundreds of weapons and developed tech tree, Regen has lesser tech tree but has something else bigger, choose whatever combination is more appealing.
Quote from: Creamcorn
Dwarf Fortress: Where you meet the limit of your imagination, moral compass, sanity and CPU processor.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=103080.0 Fix sober vampires!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=91442.0 Dwarven Cognitive Science

Pan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Played Dig Deeper, CF, and Genesis before. Playing Corrosion, Masterwork and LFR now. You like the simplifying, then I suggest you try Masterwork. LFR adds to vanilla (in different ways, not just variety variety variety), and Corrosion for something cool, hard and different.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile

your miners will basicly suffocate due to fake coal veins that give them lung necrosis >.>
EDIT2:
You can use vamps for coal mining.
Even lack of antidotes doesn't stop Meph from adding diseases. Beware.
I dont know a way HIV could be transferred, other then adding a syndrome to dwarf blood and giving it [syn_injected], but how would a dwarf get it in the first place?
Ebola and malaria are quite easy to do, thats bats and mosquitos respectively, i could add plagues to rats too. (necrosis of the limbs, obviously)
But im all like meh about this, it isnt fun if you cant do anything about it.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Meph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • worldbicyclist

diseases and compose them into a mod.(ebola, HIV, malaria, you know the drill)
Pst, still working on it. Next release will have proper epidemics. ;)

Like Deon made nearly a dozen of castes, Nahiril (FLR author) - around 6, Meph has added only golems
Pst, but: Caste Guide for MasterworkDF. 20 Castes in total, plus 6 hidden ones, and 6 mages (currently release only 4, next version has 6) And a custom therapist that can read them out for you.

Point of my mod is the settings, you have over 5000 combinations you can try, while still running with about 25% higher FPS ;) Anyway, have fun. :)
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:08:18 am by Meph »
::: ☼Meph Tileset☼☼Map Tileset☼- 32x graphic sets with TWBT :::
::: ☼MASTERWORK DF☼ - A comprehensive mod pack now on Patreon - 250.000+ downloads and counting :::
::: WorldBicyclist.com - Follow my bike tours around the world - 148 countries visited :::

WaffleEggnog

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

For the most part i just play vanilla without any mods, I just like the feel of it, it just seems fantisylike without a whole bunch of made-up crap mixed in, but, i have tried Masterwork once before, and i would recomend trying it sometime, though there is much Fun to be had (cave civs >:( )
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 10:59:38 am by WaffleEggnog »
WHEN POSSIBLE, I PREFER TO CONSUME YOUR FACE.